1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Hogwarts Battle School by Kwan Li

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Averis, May 22, 2013.

1. FoolsGold

FoolsGold Squib

Updated

Really enjoyed the latest chapter. The set up for the tournament and Fleur and Harry interactions intrigue me. The thing that has re hooked me in most though is the final line.

Embrace it... Seeing how Harry reacts to darker magic will be one of the most enjoyable things about this Fic I believe.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  2. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

[.Spoiler][/.Spoiler]

Remove the periods.

Like so

3. lolinho

lolinho Squib

updated a bunch of days ago.

just sayin

4. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Here's something form the sticky posted at the head of the Alternates sections that you obviously skipped in order to alert us to your fabulous review of the latest chapter.

It's entitled "Morons Need Not Apply" and is a listing of the rules of the Library Section as handed down from Raven. If they did not apply anymore then I'm sure they would have been taken down.

In the future please post something... anything, giving us your opinion of the chapter. I'm not saying you're the first one, because it's becoming common place these days.

Just sayin'.

5. gullibleoats

gullibleoats Seventh Year

Last update was pretty good. Thought Aristophanes was a nice name, very much in line with the whole Demosthenes stuff. In fact, this story's pretty good. I admit to having a fascination towards training and regimens to make people stronger so I may be biased. I like the whole theory track and the command center, very nice reference to Ender's Game. Very clever of the writer to use the Room of Requirement like that. I suppose the trouble is that it takes away the mystery of Hogwarts. The dissection of magic into rigor, power levels, and will dilutes the mystique and allure of Harry Potter but I remain interested. There is still a nice blend of chaos into it, what with Flamel and everything.

I feel as though, however, that the author is trying to force a romance between Harry and Hermione. The way their relationship is now makes me dislike that. But, eh.

Also, while the mention of Voldemort and Grindelwald was exciting and a good place to end, this would have been much more reminiscent of Ender's Game if Harry didn't know he was fighting him. Rather, I'd have much preferred if they had tweaked a horcrux to serve as a simulation of fighting Voldemort. Cliched, true. But Ender hadn't realized the battle simulations were real until the Buggers had been eliminated. I suppose doing it this way makes Harry a much more active participant in his fight against Voldemort but this transparency leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

All this effort at being illusive and now Harry has all the clues to suspect that he is the actual chosen one, prophesied and not elected.

6. theronin

theronin Order Member

I kinda feel like this thing went completely off the deep end at some point. Oh well, was fun for a while.

7. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I really grew to like this fic, but now, with a couple more updates, I just can't get into it. the writing is still decent, but... I think maybe I just lost the story and have to start from the beginning again, and I'm not sure I want to.

8. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Yeah, it's good, but it seems like the last 3 chapters were just to, fill space. It's getting annoying just waiting and waiting.

9. DemonicInfluence

DemonicInfluence Fourth Year

This last update was quite exciting. I really enjoyed the buildup to the final climactic scene.

10. Euroclydon

Euroclydon High Inquisitor

Word, I'm pumped for the next chapter. 40 something days until the next update is a bummer, but at least he lets us know.

11. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Finally some action! I really liked this update. It moves the plot forward nicely.

12. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Hermione's fear is handled pretty well, as was the scene with Draco and Tracy. My only gripe with this chapter is Fred and George's dialogue, which I think fell short of the mark. I liked the different viewpoints, but I also want to see the next chapter from Harry's perspective rather than Hermione's.

13. psihary

psihary Groundskeeper

... I've got a polar bear for a neighbour...
    A new update with the first task!

I still don't like how the author keeps on inserting Hermione's POV, which character, and in general the Harry/Hermione thing going on, is the weakest part of the story IMO, or at least the least likable part of it.

Another pet peeve of mine is when authors insist that magic is physically exhausting and use it to not overpower their characters. In this chapter Harry casted no more than a few spells and almost lost consciousness after the wandless magic.
    Didn't really understand the need of the author to go that route instead of inflicting some damage from the flight from the dragon to serve the same purpose in the end.

Also it was quite strange he couldn't get the concentration/conviction for his summoning to work, when he managed the cutting and levitating.

Overall, it's a nice chapter, though the end seems a bit more rushed and less descriptive. But that might be because of Harry's POV, his character by that time was suppose to be barely conscious.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  14. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

15. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    I didn't expect that last bit, it's nice to know how though. One question though,
    does anyone know what the anomaly on the map was? I can't remember.

16. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pretty sure it was a name appearing that wasn't supposed to be there. Could be a horcrux related Tom appearance?

17. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

Is it Crouch Jr?

18. Sundin

Sundin Muggle

For some reason the first time I read the end of the chapter, I thought it was Snape that made the horcrux, but then re-read it and realised it was Dumbledore. Now I'm not sure which would be more fitting.

Also, with regard to the magical exhaustion, while I enjoyed the content of the explanation, I thought the author's inclusion of that story was a little forced. It felt a little too disconnected from the flow of the writing, even for a little aside. For some reason that really bothered me.

19. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Honestly, I like the dynamic between Harry and Hermione. I also thought the way the first task was handled was excellent. I assumed that Harry's magical exhaustion had more to do with the wandless magic he used to kill the dragon. Author could have done a better job addressing that I suppose.

20. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Having now caught up on the last few chapters, I can say that the fic has gotten better after the few chapters that just felt like fillers and were kinda boring. We got some solid action, which I always welcome warmly.

I have to agree with Don as well - I like the dynamic between Harry and Hermione, the sort of love-hate friendship they have going on. They weren't instant friends in third year, then the gap got bigger after Harry started kicking her ass in Battle class, then there were some harsh, but true words... It's engaging and feels real. You never know what to expect and I like that Harry stands by his beliefs and doesn't automatically give in and I like the more hardass Hermione.

As a Fleur fan (in most cases) I enjoy her and Harry's developing relationship.

And the oh-shit moment at the end of the latest chapter. If it is what I think it is, then shit should get pretty epic when Voldemort comes into play.

EDIT: One question though...
    If the dude flying across Atlantic had to cast the Levitation Charm every ten seconds, how did he write the messages? With another spell, I imagine. Seems super wacky, but hey, wizards are crazy.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014