1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Hope by Jeconais - T - HP/GD

Discussion in 'Romance' started by Rahkesh Asmodaeus, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Finally marshaled my opinion.

Technically sound, but the writing is bland. I envy the writing style of Ruskbyte and a dozen others, but not Jeconais'.

The descriptions are nonexistent - sometimes beaten even by the average FFnet writer. At least they attempt to present a visual.

I specifically mention the scene where Beauxbaton is moved to Hogwarts - a whole freaking school fucking floats over the Channel, and is dumped next to the castle. An hour after reading it I just knew the summary because that's all there was. And something about a bubble.

http://jeconais.fanficauthors.net/Hope/7_Milan.php

How unspectacular.

Nor do I ever get a good sense of surroundings, like I do in Joe's Wasteland of Time. In the air, in France, Hogwarts, it might as well take place in the same meadow.

I guess the author was too preoccupied with romance - except it's between a Gary Stue and Mary Sue. So no go there.

Jon3667 is better in literally every single field - action, interaction, description, technics, and angst by default because Jeconais doesn't even try. Romance too, despite Jeconais trying.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  2. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

Jon's the KING! I still reread his fics now and again.

3. N.O.X

N.O.X White Trash

Who's Jon3667? I googled it but the only result I got was this thread.

4. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    jon3776, actually. Redemption of the Black Sisters and other stories.

5. N.O.X

N.O.X White Trash

Okay I remember his stories now. Thanks for the help.

6. TheOtherWhiteSheep

TheOtherWhiteSheep Squib

I prefer a happy medium between the two, myself. If I had more energy to focus on reading fanfiction, I might be perfectly happy with jon's stuff, but I prefer something a little less cumbersome, generally.

That said, I'm really not a fan of this fic, but it's ok for what it is.

7. DamienIon

DamienIon Second Year

Weather or not Jon is better is up to the reader imo, but all I’m going to say is at least Jeconais finishes his stories

8. Lucius

Lucius Banned

The universe in which Hope takes place is one where everyone except Voldemort survived the war. This is important because it means Snape and Dumbledore are still around, and they are two of our primary antagonists, as if they haven't been bashed enough in other fanfics. It's not even done well. Snape is incapable of controlling his emotions, in stark contrast to canon, and both he and Dumbledore are about as subtle as a garbage truck. Speaking of subtlety and the noticeable lack thereof, enter Draco Malfoy! In this story, he's the Quidditch Referee at Hogwarts. I assume the author made this decision so that Draco could be present for things to happen. There's no real reason why Draco would ever want to work at Hogwarts, not that I can see. Also, his family lost all its wealth for some reason. So he's got absolutely nothing to fight Harry with (Harry owns a vast portion of stocks/businesses in magical England) and therefore is a waste of space. His sole purpose is to attempt to rape Gabrielle, just for some shock value and forced drama. But don't worry, Gabrielle is Harry's Mate, as per the standard "Veela Mating for life" trope, so she can do things like borrow Harry's immensely powerful magic abilities. So she kicks the crap out of Draco and still has a mental breakdown. More on that later.

The last part leads nicely into my second issue with this story: Harry is too god damn powerful. It's occasionally fun to read about him performing god-like feats of magic, of course, but it gets old, quick. He's so powerful that nobody, not even Dumbledore, is a threat to him. He can apparate into Hogwarts, he can use full telekinesis, and he can apparate other people. Without touching them, and without also apparating himself! There is literally no competent opposition. His power completely dwarfs that of every other character, which means there is no suspense. Ever. As a reader, I always felt certain that Harry would be able to fix every problem, and win every fight. Because he's basically a god. Draco and his little band of Death-Eaters that show up in the finale are only threatening for about two seconds. Then Harry shields the entire Quiddith stands and all its occupants, which a shield that blocks several Avada-Kedavra curses.

In this story, Harry Potter is set up to be an omnipotent, supremely-competent person. He is capable of doing anything and everything. And he does! He defeated Voldemort single-handedly, he's the richest man in the wizarding world, he's a star quidditch player who would never lose to Viktor Krum, and he's a demigod. You would think a man like this could handle most problems on his own, right? Nope! Remember earlier when I mentioned how Draco attempts to rape Gabrielle? And how she borrows some of Harry's magic to lay the smackdown on that ferret? Well, shortly after, Harry apparates through Hogwarts (of course he does) to her, and apparates her back to their room. Maybe he's going to comfort her, tell her it'll be alright, maybe even just have sex with her? Nope. He floo-calls (I think) Gabrielle's entire family to come help him comfort her, or something. Because they all need to be there immediately, right? When nothing actually happened. Right? My point is that all our protagonists are always around when things happen. Just so the author doesn't have to write Harry telling them later, or work around the logistics of Harry not having everything he needs at every moment. At another point in the story, Harry has a conversation with Dumbledore about something trivial and ultimately unimportant, and when Dumbledore leaves, our entire crew of protagonists walk out of a hidden door in the room, and they were all listening. Boom, everyone's caught up! Even Gabrielle's mother was there. Considering how insignificant her character is, even in this story, she shouldn't have been there. She's not a talented fighter, she isn't any kind of clever thinker or strategist, and she has no political ties. She's just the mother figure to advise Gabrielle when she has issues, or occasionally advise Harry (if we pretend for a moment he ever would need help).

I have many more issues with the story than what's above, but this is already ridiculously long, I think. And a lot of those issues are with tropes, and not just poor design choices. Hope's story arc is about as flat as the Grand Mesa. Not even the admittedly well-written smut can save this dumpster fire of a fanfiction.