1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Hope by Jeconais - T - HP/GD

Discussion in 'Romance' started by Rahkesh Asmodaeus, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Patrik f

Patrik f Guest

My stories never make it to my Beta when I had one because I usually thought they were crap when I reread them to check for bugs and tried to rewrite them but they were just abandoned after a while :)

But I agree with most others that I would never have more then one beta unless I were being paid to write...

2. ulkser

ulkser Groundskeeper

one beta is enough. jeconais finished the chapter nearly 2 weeks ago and we still wait gor it to be updated. more betas take more time to update.

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    He's finally updated...that doesn't look like 25,000 words to me...

4. Syn

Syn Fourth Year

i hate this cliche...

why, oh why, does everyone make the ONLY gryffindor quidditch team we're familiar with into the best players ever?

in fact! isn't it canon that before harry got there, the team hadn't beaten slytherin for like 5 years? does that sound like world-class keeping or chasing or beating?

no me gusta. but i like the rest of it.

5. Jadedmagus

Jadedmagus Squib

Well, as far as I can see, most make the gryffindor team the best simply because they are the only team that has some background in cannon. I mean we know that Cho is Ravenclaw seeker, Cedric was on Huffllepuff, and while we know who is on Slytherin, well, the generally aren't well liked :rolleyes: .

As for Gryffindor being good, well they only lost one game thus far with Harry, and that was due to Dementors. Most quidditch fans just take that and run with it.

Easily my favorite not-dead/incomplete romance fic.

6. cazten

cazten Slug Club Member

Its a bit romance heavey for me, but still easily one of my favorite fics period. I especially lvoe the enitre Harry/Gabriel idea.

One thing in this chapter did rub me rather wrong though.

The entire story Harry has basically been made out to be Super!Harry. He opens holes in Hogwarts wards and apparats across continents. But then he is fought to a standstill by 4 durmstrang students? Are you joking?

When lending Gabriel is powers she feels like she can take over the world....But hes held off by 4 students. Its sounds to me like the author was trying to humanize Harry a little more, but failed miserably becuase it was mixed in all wrong.

I can understand 4 very adept students being able to hold off a master with spell usage and just being great duelest all around, but magically Harry is just on a complete different level. He doest need spells, he just does it.

So far thats really the only bugger ive found in this story, i was shocked.

7. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

I just read the story. Its a worthwile read. My only downside is that it seems a bit formulamatic. How many times are the two of them not going to sleep together? Now they seem to feel the need to wait until the end of the tournament (which I am sure is close to her 17th birthday deadline for going insane.)

I honestly don't know what the author is doing with Dumbledore. He's over 160 and he decides to play keeper? I actually felt bad for the Hogwarts staff when the French trot out the equivalent of a professional team to play them.

It's a good story. It's well written. It just feels like I already know how it ends.

8. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

if everyone loves the idea of harry/gabriel so much (myself included) then why don't more authors write this pairing? is it because it posses as some sort of challenge that most authors don't wanna take on? or is it because i am alone in loving the only good h/g pairing??

9. cazten

cazten Slug Club Member

I think alot of authors have a hard time dealing with the age gap.

Not alot of people like to write or start a story with Harry starting in his mid20's after voldemorts fall. I know i generally enjoy reading harry come to power and kick voldemorts ass spectacularly.

Many here also like independant/dark fic. OoTP is generally a fantastic spot to start off on that journey, or right after OoTP imean. Shes like 9 years old at that point.

It could be possible that people made a story with H/Gb planned in the future, but lost interest and abandoned before they were old enough.

10. MysterioX

MysterioX Professor

Great story even if it’s a bit too into romance. This is Jeconais's best story in my opinion, couldn't bring my self to read more than the first 3 chapters of his “This means war” it features the kind of Ginny I hate the most.

11. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I don't see what's the big deal with Gabrielle. The only thing we know about her is that she's 8-9 years old French veela and that she's hero-worshiping Harry for being BWL and 'saving' her life...

In other words, pedophile-friendly version of Ginslut.

12. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The reason why people like her is that shes relatively unknown, other than the fact that she will be beautiful, therefore the author can make her into anything they want.

13. MysterioX

MysterioX Professor

True..true..but STILL Gabrielle just isn't the same as Ginslut.

14. Myst

Myst Headmaster

Thats because she doesn't have the rabid fan base that Harry/Ginslut have.

15. Mrriddler

Mrriddler High Inquisitor

Somewhere high, somewhere low and somewhere in bet
    That could be true. If there were tens of thousands of H/Gabrielle fics, I doubt I would enjoy even the best written ones.

16. Harpy Prince

Harpy Prince Seventh Year

After reading IP's post I don't think I can read H/GD anymore. It would be too hypocritical of me. If I do read it then I can't bash Ginny anymore. You've shown me the light IP, and it blinded me....

17. Element

Element Seventh Year

In vague defense of the HP/GD pairing (and partly because I'm writing a HP/GD fic), all we know is that at the time of GoF, she 'looked eight'. This could be easily twisted to ones use, by using the 'Veela mature in stages' theory. Additionally, we know she is 'grateful' or 'very grateful' to Harry. Nothing about hero-worshipping or anything. Actually, I'm not too sure of my facts here but yeah.

18. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

I personally think H/GD only works if they're all adults. Let's say Harry is 35, Gab is 26 or so - not such a great big gap then is it? Like every obscure female character, Gabrielle is practically an OC and therefore she can either be brilliant or terrible.

On the Pedo note, Jeconais is on the right side of the barrier I think. Had she been 2 years younger, I wouldn't have read it. Plus I think he's changed her age a bit hasn't he?

6th year Harry and 9 year old gab is just...urgh *shudders*

I've started reading the story and it's very good. I've got it bookmarked for reading later on.

19. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I think Tim kept them the same ages as canon. She was about 8 in GoF, when Harry was 14. Now she's 16 and Harry's 22. Or something around there. Harry's been out of school and playing professional quidditch for a couple (few) years now.

As for the comparison to Ginny, egads. And blatantly deciding to not like Harry/Gabby for that reason? Does that seem reasonable or logical to you? By all means go on hating her, as long as you're vaguely aware it's completely illogical and unsupported. Mindless hatred can have the most lasting power.

And really, when it comes to pairings, we only know a handful of things about the characters. We know more about Hermione and Ginny than most, and Tonks, Luna, and Cho a bit more than the rest. But 95% of the romance in fics comes from these blanket "girlfriend of Potter" characteristics that the author puts in. Only 5% has any basis in canon. And you can apply the majority of those feelings, habits, physical beauty, sudden interest in Harry etc... to just about any character you like.

Most here simply don't care for the 5% about Ginny we already know, and the vast majority of people writing Harry/Ginny put in the crap that makes us hate it even more. It has far more to do with the authors writing the Harry/Ginny and what they like to read than it has to actually do with Ginny. And probably the biggest reason Harry/Ginny is so unattractive around here is that Harry/Ginny is the biggest one with the most fics about it. That quality is unattractive. Just like in high school you need to know and like your bands that no one else does, but once they're popular and sell-out the music doesn't sound as good. (And usually it's not.) But no one likes the favorite unless they're betting. Underdogs are the ones to root for. Ginny and Hermione are favorites, with Ginny having the backing of canon on her side. And it's harder and harder for anyone to claim Cho, Luna, or Tonks as an underdog.

All these pairings live and die by the authors so much more than our preconcieved notions heading into reading it. And deciding to hate Gabby simply because she bares a passing resemblance to Ginny in the few moments in which she met Harry? You're missing out on a hell of a good fic here if that's the case.

And for what it's worth, I don't think Gabby ever cared about the BWL. But she did see him as her hero after he rescued her from the lake. It'd be like Ginny not caring about Harry, until he rescues her from the basilisk. Not to mention you're judging an 8 year old. Not a teenager we've seen annually growing up. Even with your twisted logic for condemning fics based on pairing, Gabby and Ginny are vastly different.

Veela = magically hot <=- if surface is that important then this should matter too.

20. Harpy Prince

Harpy Prince Seventh Year

It's not that I hate Gab out of nowhere it's that I find it wrong to like Gab fics and dislike Ginny fics when they're almost exactly the same. The large number of fics isn't the main reason I dislike Ginny but it helped, that whole he saved my life and now I love him and but he doesn't notice me thing is what pisses me off. What starts the relationship in most Gab fics is "he saved my life once and I've loved him ever since". I'll probably take a look, and if I like it. I'll never diss Harry/Ginny again. The writers are another story though...