1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

House of the Dragon

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Drachna, May 12, 2022.

1. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Episode 6 not really much to write home about.

Rather like the series so far.

2. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Props to the new actors for Rhaenyra and Alicent for good performances that were believably older versions of the same character. That said, I was entirely uninterested in pretty much everything that was happening in episode 6.

3. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

I understand that there shouldn't be any side that you'd clearly root for in this show, but is it really too much to ask that any of them are at least somewhat likable. The nicest side in this episode was showing Daemon as the loving husband, but even that stands wtih him being a shitty father and having just murdered his former wife an episode ago.

4. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's Game of Thrones - it is, in fact, too much to ask for. Game of Thrones character creation practically mandates the characters be afflicted in some way - sometimes physically but literally always personality-wise.

5. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

Alicent wasn’t a new actress, was it? I rather liked the acting across the board this episode. Except for the kids I guess, but that’s kids.

6. DR

High Score:
    She was. She and Rhaenyra were both replaced.

7. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

I dont mind affliction, but I at least want there to be some aspects to like.

8. moribund_helix

moribund_helix Third Year

Since I saw there was to be a change of actors in this episode I watched it.

It actually is the first episode I liked. It all feels quite like someone hit the fast forward button but at last we see scenes filled with people and characters reacting to stuff happening on screen. It's not anything amazing but at least it seems to be getting better than the shit it had been up till now.

9. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I will say that this episode felt a lot less awkward and wooden in terms of what it presented. Less play-acting at GoT and actually being the thing.

Also goddamn, I know it's been 10 years in-story but to see Alicent grow to be such a massive cunt gave me a bit of whiplash.

10. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    So last week I wasn't sure if I'd keep watching bc I didn't like anyone, but Larys might be enough of a cold murderous bastard for me to watch just for him lmao.

11. R. E. Lee

R. E. Lee Groundskeeper

Having read the source material, I think that going forward is where it's going to get more like peak-Game of Thrones in terms of pacing and fleshing out characterizations. They spent five episodes doing mini-jumps every episode (1/2 a year to 3 years in between episodes), plus the ten-year jump between episodes 5 and 6, but there's likely not any huge jumps from here out. If this season ends where I think it will, there will likely be no jumps starting in season two and it'll be basically GoT pace for the remaining seasons. They just have to get all of the foundation set in season one.

In a way this episode was basically a second pilot, give how much the characters have changed since episode 5 and all of the character introductions that had to be made. Given that, I didn't expect this episode to be perfect. I thought it was more than adequate in those terms, and I think it's going to be very good from episode 7 through the season finale.

12. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

At this pointy only question is whether or not this season ends with:

the kinslaying at Storms End OR blood and cheesey retribution

13. R. E. Lee

R. E. Lee Groundskeeper

Given that the plan is 3-4 seasons, I've been assuming they end the season with:
    Viserys' death and the coronation of Aegon II. But you're right, the dragon duel near Storm's End isn't long after that and is really the point of no return for the war happening. I don't think we get Blood and Cheese this season, if the Storm's End duel happens I think it's either the end of the finale, or there's a universal Oh, shit in both King's Landing and Dragonstone when they get the news.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  14. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

A few months ago there was a leak with what will happen in what episode.

As could be guessed we will the dragon battle because it's the best moment to end and what happens next is really strong opening of the next.

15. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This aged poorly.

16. DR

High Score:
    The casting decisions for tonight's episode got a bit weird. Aemond now weirdly looks older than his elder brother Aegon.

17. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

I don't know how he does it, but damn, Matt Smith has a very huge commanding presence anytime he is on screen. Even when he barely does nothing.

All in all. I am absolutely loving the court intrigue on the show. Its an absolute joy to watch all the political maneuvering.

And this time, unlike Game of thrones where I felt compelled to root for the starks and against the Lannisters. Here, I am kind of rooting for all of them.
    Its like watching a match between 2 great teams that I don't necessarily support (eg Man United vs Man City). Both are great, everything they do is compelling, but I am not necessarily in anyone's corner. I just want to see who wins and how they win.

The biggest weakness so far is the Club Footed character. He is just evil for evils sake. He wipes out his family..and we get absolutely no reason or explanation. Despite the fact that both his father and brother were portrayed as honorable and decent people.

I just wish that just like the rest of the characters, he had more nuance.

Rest in peace king Viserys. Watching that old man literally fall apart was hard to watch. But he remained all about loyalty to his family to the bitter end.

18. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Daemon Targaryen is such a shitbag. But there's something about a totally, unapologetic, shitbag that is entertaining, and he's the second highest point on the show after Paddy Considine (hopefully) winning an Emmy as Viserys.

Aemond has that shitbaggery aura there too, and he might ascend to Daemon's point, but he's not there yet, even if his toasts were fucking hilarious. He's the double A baseball prospect that's ranked in the top 10 prospects in MLB, be he's not up there with Daemon's Mike Trout yet.

No spoilers from me in case anyone hasn't read F&B.

Viserys' leprosy (from a Paddy interview) halfmask is awesome.

An aside, I can't wait to see more of Eve Best atop Meleys fucking shit up. The Queen Who Never Was astride the Red Queen Meleys.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2022
  19. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Apparently it's supported by lore. Aemond grew up into a big warrior dude and outgrow (literally) his older brother.

My boy Aemond is good at the Game. Servants put the roasted pig down in front of him and the little shithead Lucerys laughs because Pink Dread the Dragon Pig. Aemond responds with a clever insult.

He looks like evil Legolas lmao

Last edited: Oct 10, 2022
  20. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Still on Ep 7, and I am sitting here shocked, trying to figure out where all my fucks went. Acting remains excellent across the board, but I just ... don't really care anymore. I like the dragon scenes well enough, but perhaps they are too little and too late. Hopefully we get more of them.