1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

How did you come across DLP?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Infidel, May 2, 2012.

1. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

Hmm I think I either came across it while reading Shezza's Harry Potter and Ancardia, or while looking at nonjon's profile. I can't remember which, for sure.

2. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I saw a link to the C2 on enembee's profile, and after reading through most of that I thought I should probably check out the source. So I found my way here, lurked for about a year or something before joining.

3. Jericho

Jericho Sixth Year

Googled 'dark harry potter' fanfiction a long time ago. The thing that sticks in my mind was that Midknight (I think) had a NPH pic and quote and it was around the time I started watching HIMYM.

Also, holy crap so many people join and never post.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  4. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

~15 minutes later, you have 4. o_O

5. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Nonjon.

And I somehow have 2. o_o

6. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

Can't even remember anymore. Bets are one of the older, popular DLP produced stories.

7. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

I think I stumbled upon the site a few years ago while googling Harry/Luna fics. Can't remember the exact wording. I remember seeing links in Jbern and Nonjon's stories, but could never be fucked to check it out.

Once I got here, laughed at a lot of the threads. I might have run across Scree's trolling the ginny fangirls story? That may have come later.

Came back every now and then to lurk and laugh until eventually signing up. Took me a bit longer to start posting, though. And I still get a laugh out of a lot of the threads here.

8. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Someone invited me in a review, I think. It's been a long time now.

9. thebrute7

thebrute7 High Inquisitor

I don't recall the actual fic at the moment, but I remember seeing a reference to DLP in the author's notes. Having no idea what the author was talking about, I googled it and here I am.

With much better taste and writing ability than when I joined too.

10. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

It was after reading Barb's Psychic Serpent Trilogy. I remember being completely disheartened by it and wanting to see if there was a better ending to it. Googled it, and presto there was a thread on DLP talking about.

11. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

Wow, it seems like a lot of people found DLP through nonjon's profile, myself included. So, thanks nonjon, DLP owes you a lot.

12. Speakers

Speakers Backtraced

This fan of my fic said something like "Hmm, your fic isn't in DLP's library. That's very strange." And I thought "wtf is DLP?". I came here, remembered visiting some years back when I was searching for FFN alternatives and never paid any attention. So I said to him, "whatever dude". Then a few days later he tells me it's on the list of fics that shouldn't be recommended because they were brought up and found lacking.

So I went "Fuck those dudes." I came here, threw a bitchfest. My fic had 2000 reviews, how dare they disparage it like that! So I made an intro thread post (I miss the intro forum :( ) and asked DLP to bow down before me. They kinda didn't so I thought, "one day they shall bow before me" ...I'm still working on that...

13. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think I found it while reading some of Shezza's Wheel of Time stories and then wandered here either through 'her' profile or an authors note. I can't recall exactly when, but Shezza was still writing Resistance of Azkaban at the time. I wandered in occasionally and lurked for a year or so before joining and then lurked some more. I only just hit 300 posts and I've had an account for over 4 years. The first forum that I ever thought was worth joining, and a bad place to make the stereotypical first forum mistakes. If I recall correctly, one of my first posts was a one line comment on a popular story that hadn't been updated in some time(probably one of JBern's). That went well, to say the least.

14. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:

And we've hated you ever since.

No seriously, I remember that. Made me laugh my ass off.

15. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

A story I wrote got into the library; someone left me a broken link in a review and I somehow managed to find the thread from that and thus discovered DLP.

16. Boofers

Boofers Groundskeeper

Pretty sure I found a link to here from BigD's Yahoo group. Can't be certain though.

17. Nae

Nae The Violent

dhulli, your introduction post...just LOL.

18. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I wanted to read more of Shezza's Denarian Knight than was posted on ff.net at the time. One of best decisions ever.

19. coleam

coleam Death Eater

Can't really remember. I think I saw it in a bunch of author's notes and/or FFN profiles and finally got sick of not knowing what this mysterious "DLP" thing was.

Edit: according to my intro thread, it was JBern, apparently.

20. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

History of DLP?

It was started when Zevrillion (one of the admins but you'll never see him post or do anything) wanted to start a forum based on the darker HP fanfiction. He made some basic forum with phpbb and emailed a bunch of people whose stories he liked.

I think the original people he emailed were Raven, myself, Midknight, Vash, Marguerida, this one dude who unfortunately passed away (he's the banned Levi, his brother came on his account and was basically a douchebag), and feartehturtle. There was this one other chick, name started with a T, but I can't remember her. She wrote that one time travel fic in which Harry and Malfoy get sent back 20 years to Hogwarts.

It started out slow at first, and feartehturtle started to constantly bitch that no one ever came on the forums and that it was only the mods and admins ever posting. We tried explaining to him that it takes time, but he wouldn't stop... so I think we just got rid of his admin and banned him.

The two chicks on the staff just stopped posting a little while later.

Zevrillion didn't like what DLP was like, I guess it didn't fit what he envisioned when he first created it. He stopped posting and visiting the boards. He had relinquished control to Raven a long while back because Raven could host it on his own. As you can see, it's been 2 years since he last visited, and almost 5 since he last posted.

And then suddenly DLP blew up. Not exactly sure how or why, but I think it took nearly a year or something?