1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

How did you come across DLP?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Infidel, May 2, 2012.

1. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

Don't really remember how but I remember how I hated slash stories in FFN and googled Independ Harry or something. It was actually around time I started reading fanfic in English.

I found my intro just now. Funny as hell.

https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=12450

My Grammar got better at least.

2. Nargles

Nargles Seventh Year

I actually got into Dresden fanfiction before getting in HP. I remember looking for some DF crossovers, when I stumbled across Shezza's trilogy. That's the first time I heard of DLP.

Later on, when I was really looking for HP fanfics, I came across DLP's name again. It seemed to follow the same pattern -- all the good authors seemed to be a part of DLP: Shezza, Water Mage, VotN, Swim, etc...

But what really made me look around was Oedipus Flower. I remember reading that thing and thinking to myself, "Who the fuck would... what the shit is..." I asked around in some other forums about the fic, and bitches started giving me shit about incest and taboos and needing medical help.

Anyway, I came looking around, liked what I saw, and stuck around.

3. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

From what I remember, I think I was also a nonjon profile linker. I don't know what I was looking for, but there was some thread that could only be accessed if I had an account. So, I made one, and 6 months later I actually began posting. By then I felt like I knew everyone, as I'd lurked pretty hard, but I was also 17 and an arrogant douche. :D

4. Twisted

Twisted Guest

Shezza's Denarian Trilogy. Still holding out for Apocalypse like a lonely individual.

5. OneSimpleIdea

OneSimpleIdea Second Year

Came here through joe6991's Wastelands of Time. After finishing it, I went to his profile and he had encouraged us to check out a link for the five starred community for DLP on FF.net. It wasn't until one day I was being lazy that I googled DLP to get to the community on FF.net that it brought me to the actual site.

6. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Swimdraconian.

Those intro man. Good times. I say that as one of the people shivved with a rusty spoon too, not one of the guys who gave as good as they got. This site has helped me a lot since then, but sometimes I still make an ass of myself. I'll link my intro in a minute.

Edit:
    http://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=7449

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  7. Elsworth

Elsworth Fifth Year

I came here after reading a Black Comedy, and lurked occasionally through college. Didn't start posting till recently though--

8. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Shut it, thundercunt. No one wants you or your twincest faggotry here.

PS: Kolshit. That is all.
    So. Joe. I haven't forgotten. Had a change of opinion lately? We can share a bottle of scotch and wax nostalgia on the days of old... :awesome

I think there was some contest we left unfinished too but I can't quite remember it. Perhaps you do?

9. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

From Joe's intro:

Whar is ma sequel?

10. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

:awesome Half of this forum has my facebook now. Fuck being a multi. I got credentials!

Anyways, if you want to complain about Snarf and his multis not posting, I'm going to complain about WTSMG. That was a bad-ass story, and it needs more loving. And I need to try morning glory extract. Shaman times are a'comin.

Also, Vash deserves a straight injection of fire in the nuts. Kolshit. That's a butchery of a fine name. :p

Edit: Though, I admit, when I read back a few pages looking for earlier posts and saw Snarf say something about Nonjon I was kinda like "How the hell did he even know that... wait, he's right, and now I'm going to be called a fake!"

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  11. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Hmm... I don't recall leaving a contest unfinished, my good man. I do recall tarnishing your name beyond all redemption in an epic battle of wit, charm, and swashbuckling penis acrobatics.

A bottle of scotch to the good old days, indeed. And another to days to come.

12. trollolol

trollolol Third Year

I was searching for a fic on Google as I'd lost the link, and DLP was the first result. All the reviews were calling the author a worthless, arrogant cunt. Few years later I stopped my occasional browsing and signed up for the purposes of reading through WIP.

13. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The idea of other, active, HPFF forums fascinates me. It so often feels like DLP is the last bastion of HPFF activity, other than the disparate users of FF.net.

I know of TFF, and Beyond the Veil. What other active HPFF communities are out there?

14. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Schnoogle (LOL).

I think mugglenet's still kicking. Possibly HPFF.com and SIYE...

15. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    never really thought about the possibility of forums on those, I always thought they were purely archives except for maybe support stuff.

16. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Yeah, but DLP has not only remained an active HPFF but thrived and branched off into other avenues--such as Dresden.

Change is good, cuts away the dead wood.

That's part of the reason why I think we should revisit the DLP Anthology idea, and establish a more original platform of stories. We'd only need about 50,000 words to offer something worth buying. That's 10 x 5,000 word stories. Easy.

I could put it together (both ebook and print, I'm quite adept) for nothing. I already own a bunch of ISBN's and have a presence on Amazon. I'm sure some of the graphic-savvy members here could mock up a cover. Our costs would be purely in time.

I only bring this up again because the thought occurred to me during the last push for donations that, with an anthology or two for sale, we may make enough to pay the monthly fees once or twice a year. Perhaps even more often, if we're lucky.

Any takers? Self-sustaining DLP?

Edit: Here was the initial thread, where we got a touch ahead of ourselves in terms of publishing scale, from 2010. I don't think it's too farfetched these days.

17. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wouldn't that likely result in cease and desist letters from Rowling's copyright army?

18. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    An original fiction anthology, of course.

19. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ah. Got it.

20. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd be in to attempt this, and I know a couple people here like writing novels (not only looking at Joe here) and I think it'd be fucking awesome to put short stories that relate to them into the anthologies at some point. Or even excerpts if the novels aren't published yet.

Not sure how many DLPers actually want to write full books but I know of at least 8.

Joe