1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

How did you come across DLP?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Infidel, May 2, 2012.

1. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I think I remember it being mentioned in someone's Author's Note. That was almost 7 years ago, holy shit.

2. Arrowjoe

Arrowjoe Auror

It was a link in either jbern or nonjon's profile. I think I lurked for about a year before introducing myself.

3. Katricia

Katricia DA Member

I'm pretty sure I first found DLP on the profile of someone who'd reviewed a fanfic I liked, Aspirations. I joined a month or two later, but then discovered I didn't tend to have a lot to contribute to discussions that hadn't already been said by someone else.

....Still don't, come to think of it, but it's odd to think about all the little ways this site has influenced me over the past few years. My writing style being the most obvious, I suppose.

4. Jester

Jester Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Well i find it a bit odd that my introduction to the forum comes in a thread for the close knit reminiscing of the DLP elite. What can you do...

I actually started lurking here in the summer of 2006. I found the forum by reading a rather scathing review on FFN. I lurked for a very long time in fear of the almighty wrath of the members of DLP. I stopped reading fanfiction for over a year and then came back in search of opinions on Knowledge is Power, a fic that was my guilty pleasure reading in between waiting for updates from S'TarKan, JBern, ip82, and an assortment of others. I even enjoyed some of WolfMoon's stories.

TLDR version - I noticed the intro section was gone and decided to sign up. Gave a referral to Lungs for shits and gigs.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  5. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Once upon a time I brought a jackass and a honeycomb into a brothel...

Now I write Pokemon fanfiction, discuss the merits of harpy-rape, and am passably proficient dual-wielding dildos in a combat situation.

Time, how it does fly.

On the subject of the anthology, people should fucking do it. Because DLP needs to branch out, badly. I'm not sure how many years the HP franchise has in it, and I would hate to see this collection of individuals fall apart.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  6. Opaque

Opaque Squib

I first ran into DLP sometime in 2005. I think I got here from Shezza somehow but I'm not really sure. I joined a couple of months later in 2006. I made some posts but have mostly been lurking. The site has definitely grown a lot; I certainly can't keep up with everything anymore. Nowadays I spend most of my time in the WbA sub-forums.

I am also pleasantly surprised to find myself the 250th member on the member list. :awesome

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  7. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

Oh, jesus. I don't even remember. I may have gotten an invite back in mid-05 when I still wrote, actually? And no, that fic is never seeing the light of day again. Or being named. I lurked hardcore for a while, made an account of some kind in late 05/early 06 to post something, forgot about the account, and kept lurking. Only to join officially on this account in 07.

And continue lurking.

8. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Used to sit there every week waiting for an author update for Shezza's Denarian series. Then a mate of mine told me he had found a forum where Shezza posted up updates first. I couldn't handle waiting any longer, so started shamelessly lurking here to see Shezza's new chapters (and later, other fics). This was around 2008 I believe.

I think I briefly came on the DLP IRC channel, of which all I can remember is Sree ranting about wanting to nuke India to dust... o_O

After that, I continued to lurk, but began to read some of the non-WbA threads and thought it was a really cool community. A forum that actually encouraged good discussions (rather than locking every thread that had people disagreeingw ith each other), had really high standards of fics and some really interesting people.

I finally got off my lazy bum and started posting last year. =P

9. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I find the number of hidden hardcore lurkers encouraging. Those people who signed up way before most current posters, who still log in regularly, and still come to DLP primarily to read fanfiction: I salute you.

10. Smore

Smore Third Year DLP Supporter

I couldn't remember so I went back and looked up my introduction thread. Unfortunately I couldn't remember then either.

Probably Shezza.

11. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

... :awesome

12. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

Sree's a scary mofo'

Don't remember how I came across it, probably searching Dark Harry stories, no doubt, and I signed up, made a shitey intro that said "I like Dark Harry, Super Harry, something else, and that's about it" and got anal blasted for it.

A year or so later I had grown up a bit and made a proper one and I've been on and off in IRC and forums for the past few years but I still occasionally pester Nuhuh for updates of Cartharsis..

I also argued with Vash. Not the smartest move ever..

13. Thorn

Thorn Professor

Jesus. I'm not even sure. I think it might've been in LT2000's Dakaath Harry fic or something. Or maybe I just goolged 'dark harry potter stories' or some shit.

14. Daedros

Daedros Seventh Year

Heh, I got here pretty recently, via Swimdraconian's profile. Lurked for a bit, then made an account.

15. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Bro, that's half of the fun. It's almost a right of passage to piss off the old crowd and try your best to b-b-b-backpedal. It's also amusing as hell to witness.

Makes me miss the introduction threads... :awesome

16. Henry Persico

Henry Persico Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I google'd a story I don't remember like three or four years ago and found it in the Library discussion thread, lurked some minutes and nothing more. I did the same a few times but I didn't join; at the time I was a senior in an argentinian forum about Rowling's work and it was easier to post there. I made a couple of good friends and we still hang out from time to time, we make some parties, etc. But the forum was dying and I needed some HP dose and found DLP again; it was 2010 I think.

I decided to join, but first needed to actually know what kind of people posted here, so I tried a metod that was succesful for me in the past and started to read the forum history. What kind of attitude was utilized, like: insults, slang, irony, sarcassm, that stuff; once I discovered that fights appeared from every front like it was nothing, I lol'ed a lot. I found amazing what people here would say to hurt or discredit others' comments, and what would respond the insulted one. Sometimes was like high school all over again and laughed a lot, but when it was serious like the mods fight in 2007, it was incredible. I don't know if anybody stopped and read what he/she said, but the level of faith or belief behind the words posted is amazing. Sometimes, people here behaves like in a real one on one street fight, maybe not in recent times however, but they put a lot of "power" behind their words. There're times when I think "Wow, this guy is really bitching about something that's incredible small", you know? I couldn't possibly care if someone said to me "Yo, your post is a peace of shit dude! Go cry to Mugglenet". The one that is saying that is behind a screen, eating and laughing about you, and a very important fact, he/she is kilometers away from you, he can't do a single harmful thing. But that's the way I see life. And I absolutly love the "I crap higher than you" attitude here. It's fucking hilarious.

Other times the intelectual level utilized in some discussions is superb; from the papyrus like posts writed by Warlocke when he's pissed off to the time invested by Taure to actually patch the canon world through sheer skill, are moments that you must stop and apreciate them.
    The excellence of the writers here and the trust they show when the stories are posted in WBA is unique. I didn't find anything like that on the internet. The humility showed when they post and say "OK, annihilate it guys", that's unbelievable. I couldn't descrive a better metod to improve. You're going to be destroyed a lot of times but you're going to learn, because the review level is good and the readers try to make you better and spend a lot of time doing it.

That behaviour shows what kind of society is DLP. Not the insults nor the jokes.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  17. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Thanks man. I take my inspiration from the Falkland Islands.

Ahem.

18. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:

... are you trying to tell me that insults and douchebaggery aren't a part of DLP?

Have you been reading the same forum as me?

19. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

Got referred here by a friend, lurked a while before creating my account. The hazing back then was pretty brutal, first time I logged on to IRC some dirty indian registered my nick and gave the pass to everyone. I don't know how many hounded times I was killed in the first few months... xD

20. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter