1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

How did you find DLP?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jon, Jan 8, 2016.

?

How did you find DLP?

1. Recommended by a Fanfic Author (if so who?)

572 vote(s)
    25.8%
  2. Found via the DLP C2

280 vote(s)
    12.6%
  3. Recommended by a friend

84 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. Recommended off another website (if so where?)

323 vote(s)
    14.6%
  5. My fic was recommended here and I was curious

41 vote(s)
    1.8%
  6. Someone trash talked DLP and I was curious

243 vote(s)
    11.0%
  7. I found DLP via Google

675 vote(s)
    30.4%
  1. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, I have no idea, I genuinely don't remember. I know I lurked without an account for about a year before joining up in 2009, but otherwise I have no idea how I found the place.

2. mort

mort Groundskeeper

some author (dont remember who) reccd the site on their ffnet profile. i took a look around, lurked for a few months and eventually joined to get reviews for a fic that was in the works...
    never actually got to finishing it and posting it here, now that i think about it

3. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Was pretty long ago, so I can't be sure, but I think it was mentioned by multiple of my favorite authors at the time, so I ended up visiting the site. FFN wasn't actually my first fanfiction site, so at the time I was just looking for more quality sites for more fics. Took me about half a year to register, because I was pretty young, and the forum was rather intimidating at the time.

Pretty sure LT2000 was one of those authors. Back then, at least in the fics I was reading, DLP was universally praised. I didn't see any criticism or hate.

4. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I left a review on one of Lord Ravenclaw's stories, waaaaaay back in the day, and he told me about a website. So technically an author told me about it.

And then I spent over 9 years here. I think I spent a lot of time lurking around before actually registering? I recall a lot of you people being rather scary and mean.

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I delved into the HP fandom at some point between the publication of GoF and OotP. I think it was around 2002 when I read my first bit of fanfiction. I was introduced to the concept when I was attempting to search (don't think google was the go-to yet) for information on the fifth Harry Potter book.

I do know that I was reading stories like this one when they were still being updated.

I hung around on various up-and-coming sites like SugarQuill, and I think the first time I visited DLP was around 2005 or 2006.

But I can't remember how I ended up here the first time. I know I'd seen it rec'd in a profile somewhere, I know I'd seen it mentioned on a forum somewhere else, and I'd probably run across it via a search engine as well.

I also remember not visiting it for a long time because of the name. Dark Lord Potter? I wasn't interested (and am still not) in reading about DarkLord!Harry, and I assumed that the site preferred such stories. It was in the name, after all.

Around 2007 I came around a little bit more often to lurk, but still didn't see any reason to join. People looked like jerks immature teenage boys, and I wasn't having any problems finding fanfiction to read, so forth, so on.

I finally joined up in 2009. I think I'd done a google search of some kind and been reminded that the site existed, and finally took a closer look at it. I liked what I saw, more or less. Still do. *fist bump DLP*

TL;DR? I don't remember how I found DLP, damnit.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  6. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

I remember seeing it in an author's profile near the end of 2006 and I lurked for a while before joining.

7. diesIovis

diesIovis Seventh Year

I can't remember, but if I look at my fav stories on FF.net Joe's Wastelands are one of the first and are later followed by a bunch of other DLP authors. I'm sure I found FF.net first so probably from his author page.

8. Entsu

Entsu Squib

I'm not sure which author it was, but I first found DLP when an ff.net author recommended it. Embarrassingly enough, it might have been Fettuchini. Though I couldn't find it with Google by the DLP initials, then, so it came to nothing. Later some other author mentioned this forum and I was able to find it.

9. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

To all you googlers - what do you actually have to google to find DLP? :)

10. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's because we were immature teenage boys.

Good times.

11. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    ivebeenviolated Seratin speaks truth.

Funfact: Seratin and I joined DLP within a week of one another :3

12. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I think it was through Taure first. He mentioned DLP in his bio and I didn't know what it was, browse a bit and didn't find anything of interest to me at the time. Later on, I saw that The Santi mentioning DLP in his author's note every chapter for helping him review and basically, WBA. So I came back here and browse a bit more and found the WBA which was the only thing that interested me at first.

13. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Don't remember. I know it wasn't recommended and I've been here since before the C2, so I think I just came across it somewhere.

14. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

Saw a few authors talking shit of DLP back in 2008, was wondering why. Read a few stories there and forgot all about it until 2010 when I joined.

15. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

I just went with Googling because it was the likeliest of all of them for me. I'd reckon something like "harry potter forum" if I were to google it though.

16. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Nonjon mentioned it on his page. I took a look and decided it wasn't for me, although there were a few threads that made me laugh. Came back a couple of years later out of mild curiosity, and never left.

17. Stan

Stan Order Member

I googled the title of a fic I was reading and discovered the library thread. Backward with Purpose, I think it was.

18. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

I found it through Lord Ravenclaw's profile on ff.net in early 2006, and joined a few months later.

19. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I think I reviewed a story for Nonjon and he mentioned DLP. I looked around for a few months and then started posting. Badly.

20. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hmmm, I think I found it through...Middy's ff.n profile? Was he the one who had a profile under the name Dark Lord Potter? One of the admins did, I think it was Middy. There was a truly awful Dark!Harry fic on the profile that I read, and found the forum through the authors profile page.