1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

How did you find DLP?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jon, Jan 8, 2016.

?

How did you find DLP?

1. Recommended by a Fanfic Author (if so who?)

572 vote(s)
    25.8%
  2. Found via the DLP C2

280 vote(s)
    12.6%
  3. Recommended by a friend

84 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. Recommended off another website (if so where?)

323 vote(s)
    14.6%
  5. My fic was recommended here and I was curious

41 vote(s)
    1.8%
  6. Someone trash talked DLP and I was curious

243 vote(s)
    11.0%
  7. I found DLP via Google

675 vote(s)
    30.4%
  1. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Oh man, back in 2006. I'm not 100%, but I think that fic Shezza wrote where Harry goes back in time and bangs his mom, Bellatrix and Narcissa is what lead me here.

2. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Technically I joined to see the rest of The Boy Who Lived, but after registering, I forgot about it. Found the site ~2 months later after I'd read a really bad fic and just wanted to read some proper discussion on it, after being disappointed by the reviews. Used it as my gauge for whether to read a fic or not for a while, until I basically stopped looking for fics the old way (ranking by favorites...which is less successful than you'd imagine).

3. IAmJustAnotherGuy

IAmJustAnotherGuy Seventh Year

I googled for 'Harry/Fleur' and the first result was the Harry/Fleur Community thread. Lurked for quite a while before creating an account.

4. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    'Harry/Fleur' >_> Or some combination to that effect.

To date, whenever I think of DLP's introduction it is Methene's avatar that comes to mind.

It seems fitting, in a way. Lucius Malfoy and his pimp cane is a good image for DLP to a newbie.

5. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I get the feeling that it was one of the older authors but I can't be entirely sure of which I read before and which I read after joining up. I'd say it was probably jbern though. I read a lot of what he wrote one after the other back in the day, so it would have been either through his profile or one of his stories on FFN mentioning DLP in an author's note.

6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I remember mine very clearly. I had been following Ascension Of The Scorpion Sorcerer by Volorn666 through winter 2005 and then one of his updates contained a rant about DLP.

Googled it, came to the forum and read his bitch session, now in the Hall of Shame. Lurked for a few months, then joined.

7. Anme

Anme Professor

I was googling Flames of Betrayal by marietsy and came upon the library thread. The Azkaban subforum of the library made me stay.

8. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Mine's semi interesting I think. I play a lot of MTGO, have been using it for thirteen years or so. Anyways, it was 2009 and I was riding the wave of having crushed a sealed tournament by opening double baneslayer angel in my pool. To this date, that's still the easiest tournament I've ever won. Anyways, the prizes lasted quite a while (the packs fueled my drafting habits for weeks, and the baneslayer angels themselves were worth about $40 each at the time).

So, I'm a draft, and I see one of the other people drafting in the same pod as me was a familiar name: Nonjon. Now, at this point, I've only been reading fanfiction for half a year at most. But, I was quite familiar with Nonjon's work (who isn't), so I asked him if he was a fanfiction writer, and it turns out it actually was him. We talked about it for a bit, and eventually directed me to this website, where I joined up.

9. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Also known as The Taureturing where he remained silent for months while having to witness false statements about canon and spell theory go uncontested.

10. Solpagae

Solpagae First Year

High Score:
    Not sure exactly. Combo of

Rec by Author- don't recall who, linked in author page

pseudo-Rec off another website - ff.net via author and /r/hpfanfiction. Not directly, but as fics would be recommend I would....

Google - .... search recs and DLP kept popping up, which tended to be on fics that were decent. Naturally I visited and found reviews which weren't so rosy and were more helpful. From there it became a regular stop to check out library and almost recommended for thoughts and reviews. Lurked until joining with the idea of eventually posting my fanfic in WBA to be torn apart (if I finish it, and after I tear it apart myself).

11. sildet

sildet Sixth Year

I think I found the c2 a long time ago, but recently I've seen it mentioned on reddit so I figured I'd check it out.

12. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

Someone posted a review congratulating me that my Naruto story was being discussed on SB. I didn't know what SB was and googled it, finding a forum full of weird people talking about my story. Confounded by the experience I then googled the name of my story and found out that DLP did the same.

The advice dispensed in the discussion threat seemed sensible enough for me to join up and eventually put T7A into the WbA.

13. Telrath

Telrath Second Year

I think I'm in the same boat as Entsu.

14. Goten Askil

Goten Askil Groundskeeper

I loved Unatoned, so I read Sesc's profile and everything he recommended on it. It made me discover On The Way to Greatness and Incorruptible, so I was more than happy to try the Library. I've not been disappointed.

15. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

The beginning of DLP, fellas.

Sent March 29, 2005.

16. Stan

Stan Order Member

Did DLP really have (or was planning to have) a 'Voldemort is my Father' category at one time? That is absolutely hilarious.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  17. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I first found DLP back in...mid-2006 or so. Shezza was still writing Wheel of Time fics back then. I made an account and promptly forgot about it. I read a few threads sporadically over the following year and finally saw it mentioned in either one of Shezza's author's notes or on his profile, and decided to make another account and stick around.

18. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

We could have been cruciatus.net, but noo... :p

19. theronin

theronin Order Member

I think I got linked to MOR from reddit, then ended up here from one of his author's notes.

Then I pissed off some mod (can't remember who) by posting all my text backwards in the intro forum (siht ekiL) and somehow didn't get banned for it.

20. The Great Pandemonium

The Great Pandemonium Fourth Year

I saw DLP pop up on so many of my favorite authors profiles and authors notes, Jbern, Santi and Nonjon to name a few, that I decided to finally make an account. Much better than my early days where I browsed on Mugglenet and Portkey.