1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

How do you write battle scenes?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by The Pro, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nakama

2. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

If this were game of thrones, your protag just dies.

3. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    GRRM's greatest trick was convincing all of you that Jon wasn't the protagonist.

4. MF DOOM

MF DOOM Second Year

Jon snow still dies.

5. Archinist

Archinist Hαn Sαlsæd First

In my personal experience, fight scenes require a balance between simple and intricate descriptions.

Here's this montage:

"Trump ducked under a kick, sliding forward before he launched a jab. Hilary Clinton fell to the ground, clawing at her throat."

I think that simple description works as a matter of describing actions. This is for a rather emotionless fight. Perhaps without stakes. On the other hand...

"His father's murderer jumped over his slash, quickly backing away. He then spat and decked him in the stomach. Mickey Mouse followed up with a leg sweep that sent him toppling over. He fell and was knocked unconscious."

Pretty bland right? Mickey Mouse is his parent's murderer, and he's fighting this homicidal monster for revenge. We need a little something else.

T-T
    Teeth bared, Jason moved for two swift strikes that cut away a chunk of his ear. With a yell, he swept Mickey Mouse off his feet and drove his sword downward.

With a brutal canny, Mickey Mouse stopped the attack cold. He smirked, pulling out a knife and driving it into Jason's gut. With a pained cry, he was now the one on the ground.

"You failed him Jason," Mickey Mouse said, sweeping the dust off his overalls. He continued in his high, shrill voice. "And here I thought I'd found a worthy opponent. It turns out you're just as weak as your father. I wonder what he'd think?" He finished with a short, jerky laugh.

Mickey kicked him in the ribs, smiling. "Goodbye, Jason. You threw away your last chance."

He brandished a grenade, pulling out the pin. He neatly tucked the explosive in Jason's mouth. "Sayonara."

Jason could only manage a low gurgle.

Then the world went black.

T-T

Now I am an amateur writer but I think the significance of the fight should be level with the amount of description it has. Mohammad Ali fighting a mugger shouldn't have as much description as Mohammad Ali fighting in his first championship match.

Ultimately, it falls to balance. But I think Halt has a lot more advice than me on this.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019