1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

How does DLP read fanfiction?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Drachna, May 24, 2021.

1. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    So, lately I've been diversifying my fanfiction reading habits. I used to solely read stories on fanfiction.net on my phone, but have since switched to the FFN app and AO3. I'd say I'm split about 50/30/20% between reading on my phone, my PC and my Kindle Fire.

I'm curious as what the rest of you do. I know that there are other sites out there such as SV and SB that are formatted more in a thread sort of way, (and of course we have DLP's own illustrious WBA section) but I've never really been able to get invested in that sort of reading style aside from specific stories. Also, if anyone has any experience with the FFN app, what do you think of it? I'm finding it to be extremely well optimised, and the library feature (which saves your progress into certain fics) promises to be handy in the future.

(I'm just realising that I probably should have posted this in the Fanfic section, but hopefully that won't be too much of an issue.)

2. Villanelle

Villanelle Groundskeeper

High Score:
    When I was reading more fics, I would convert them to .epub using the FF2EBook convertor website, and then save to iBooks to read either on my phone or iPad.

Now that I've a cheap (and reliable) Samsung, I just read on Chrome, preferably through AO3. I've a strong aversion to installing multiple apps for things. I'd rather convert to .epub and read in the same app that I read all my books, than download either the FFN or AO3 app.

Every now and again, I'll stumble upon or get recommended a long fic, like Certain Dark Things most recently, and then I'll convert to .epub and read on the ol' iPad mini.

Whenever an update pops up, I'll read it directly through the browser, usually on mobile before sleeping, but if it's during the day, then it's probably through my computer.

I've an FFN account which I never check, and so I only ever find out if a fic updates through the DLP bot or by manually checking the story, which right now, I do periodically for Certain Dark Things and maybe once a month for Prince of Slytherin. I also trawl through Favourites' lists every now and again, to see if there's anything new I might like.

I miss that first year or so of fanfic where I had something good to read almost all the time.

3. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

I only read on my phone, always in Chrome. If the story is available on FFnet I read it there, excepting WBA stuff because I’m impatient.

I despise AO3 search filtering, so I only read there when I’ve been referred to a story there (usually from here).

Reading stories on SB/SV/WBA format doesn’t bother me at all, it’s just that I only frequent DLP so the only stories I ever read there are ones mentioned here. Same goes for original web fiction/serials.

4. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I really only read on my laptop, and within that it's pretty much just in ffn, unless the work is only posted on another platform.

5. Barzûl

Barzûl Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I exclusively read on my laptop in Chrome, 95% of the time lying in my bed or couch.

There are no websites that I refuse to read on, although wordpress has decided to place the text off center for some godforsaken reason (I'm looking at you, PGtE).

It's always a plus if there's a dark theme so my precious eyes can take a rest, but I'll soldier on if the story is interesting.

6. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

I read anything on FFN using the mobile app on my phone, and anything on AO3 using Chrome (logged in so I can use dark mode). If I'm heading off to parts unknown I'll download a bunch of potentially not shit stories to my kindle and read on that instead.

The only time I read on my PC is when I'm editing or offering concrit, as I then have notepad++ open for quick note-taking.

Writing is almost always done on my PC.

7. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    90% of the time, I'm reading it on my phone, but I do occasionally read on my laptop (or, if I'm feeling bold, my work desktop). I only really go on ff.net these days for stories I've been following for a while; any new stories I read tend to be on AO3.

8. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I started off on desktop, moved to laptop and now I exclusively read on my phone.

With my pants down.

9. MuggsieToll

MuggsieToll Seventh Year

New stories and chapters is always desktop.

I've got some of my all time favorites saved as PDF's to my Kindle.

RE-reads are done on my phone/iPad through the FFN app.

10. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    My guy

11. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I epub everything and read it on my phone.

12. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

I was finally forced to get the ffn app since the mobile website version won't let me log in. It's actually pretty slick, I've been enjoying the TTS feature though it would be nice to change the voice from grating robot girl.

I've been tentatively exploring the Archive of our Own but getting an accountant verified seems to be like pulling teeth.

13. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I split between reading on FF, AO3, SB, SV, QQ, RR, and Fiction.Live. All of them mostly on laptop for now (WfH), and all except F.L on my phone when I'm out - it has cookies to remember your place, which means browsing across two devices is too much hassle to bother. I used to also do a bit of reading on Fimfiction (MLP, although it's been years since I was on), which was also really well put together, with nice functionality; although being limited to what fandom was allowed.

Don't have the app for any of them, just on web browser.

I LOVE a lot of the functionality on AO3. The tagging can get a bit wild, but that can also help winnow out fics. The 'read entire story' is great, as is the collections, the series links, collections - it all seems to be really well put together.

And if you need an account invite, I have eight I can send out, but you'd need to ping me an email address. Unless you mean something other than getting the account?

14. zugrian

zugrian Fourth Year

I'm probably split about 60/40 between reading either via my tablet or PC. I can't stand trying to read anything on my phone. Getting too old, I need a bigger screen than that.

15. Donimo

Donimo Auror

I read fanfiction on my desktop, with the door closed. You guys take this shit into public?

16. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    I read it on the bus, in the car, in the living room, on my way into school etc. I mean, I won't exactly invite people to look over my shoulder, but if it happens, it happens.

17. Harshmate

Harshmate First Year

High Score:
    Mostly laptop while laying on the couch or sitting on the desk. When I used to go out before Covid, I used to read on my phone in the bus, before class stuff like that. And for long journeys I'd download fics to my Kindle. I find kindle to be the best especially on the eyes, except for the lag when you're turning the page.

18. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Mostly laptop, before covid on my phone. I use AO3 the majority of the time since the tagging system is easier to find new stuff, and I like the all-in-one reader mode, I also like reader mode on SB/SV for Worm and the occasional non-Worm stuff.

19. GravityAP

GravityAP First Year

90% on my phone. I keep all my fanfiction on the incognito section of my safari cuz while I don’t really care if someone finds it, I am a terrible hoarder and have like 100 tabs open at any given time. It is annoying to be required to scroll through all the bullshit when using the actual internet.

20. Dirty Puzzle

Dirty Puzzle Seventh Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I have like a bazillion invites for AO3 right now because everyone I regularly talk to on the internet already has an AO3, so if you want an account lmk and I'll PM you an invite.

I read exclusively on AO3 these days because the interface is just phenomenal. I can create work skins to changes fonts if I don't like the default on a certain computer; the Mark For Later list is a godsend when you don't want to forget a fic, but you don't want to consider bookmark level until you've read it; once you get a hang of the tagging/filtering system, fic finding is pretty easy. There's defo a pretty steep learning curve if you're doing more than reading rec'd fics from other people, but I've got a Mark For Later list like 22 pages long, and almost 900 bookmarks in a dozen fandoms. You can find what you want in half a dozen ways, especially if you're willing to be a bit patient. (Now that school's out I may finally get around to putting that AO3 guide together :D)

As for hardware, it's mostly my phone. I occasionally read on a computer, but I like the default Android Roboto font in Firefox, so I mostly just use that.