1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP How I Learned to Stop Hating and Love the Bomb That is Nero by OnlineImothep -M- Worm

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Nemrut, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

The main selling point of this story is definitely the humor, which can get tiring for some people. The lack of plot also hurts it, so this fits best as a slice-of-life fic. Nero is a charming (and crazy) character who is the textbook definition of unreliable narrator. Binge reading this story hurts it a bit as the humor starts to wear when read like that.

Best read in short doses, in between more serious stories, I think (though not necessary, still very readable even if you don't). 4/5 from me because was genuinely enjoyable with decent technical writing and great humor.

2. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'm really glad this ended up in almost recommended because this story just loses more and more of its novelty and charm with each chapter. By now, I am mostly skimming the chapters, which is sad because I quite liked its unique style and theme but it probably just lasted too long.

There are few comedy/humour fics that can actually sustain themselves for a long period of time without getting repetitive or switching to something else entirely. About the only thing that I remember is Uninvited Guests, which is just a masterpiece and it makes me laugh on every reread, but then again, that's Moczo for you.

3. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

The fic is just recycling the same shit over and over. Paragraphs of Nero's musing on the world has stopped being funny and interesting and is now just grating. Blah blah, filthy germans, blah blah, Father is respectable, blah blah, Legatus the Turtle, blah blah, Armidoctor hnnnn.

The entire story is built on Nero's musings and not anything plot focused. So even though she's moved to joined the Wards, is now in Boston, etc, nothing has actually moved forward in the actual story from chapter one.

Changing my vote to 3/5.

4. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

I feel that the general structure here is perfect for having a real plot running in the background which Nero is existing within. Let the readers piece together what is going on while Nero is self absorbed. Use her haughtiness as a story telling device rather than just a joke.

I mean, she's a completely psychopath; it should be interesting to see her effects on the world! But you've got so much junk thrown in for no good reason and the same old jokes being told over and over

5. aguy

aguy Squib

I love this story. It seems to have lost a bit of focus lately, but in general its over-the-top, bombastic rendition of Nero is absolutely hilarious.

4/5