1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

How I Met Your Mother Series Finale

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by silentclock, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

I followed this series from the start. I loved it, even while some people said that the quality dropped, I didn't care, I always had a big smile on my face while watching.

And the mother was amazing character IMO, just so perfect for Ted. I really wished for the mother to have a bigger role this last season, and also, for a true happy ending.

The last thing I wanted was for them to go all "lol no" on me during the last 5 minutes. Even if the mother dying was theorized by the fans a lot earlier, doing it this way seemed just lazy and moronic. Like what the hell, I could stomach destroying Barney's and Robin's marriage, making Barney a dad and all that, even enjoy them, but fucking hell, you spent THE WHOLE FUCKING SEASON MAKING A POINT ABOUT TED GETTING OVER ROBIN IN THE END. Why the fuck did they have to go back on that when all they needed for a satisfying ending was to cut the finale while Ted and Tracy were under the umbrella.

0/5 Worst finale of a series that I actually liked until the finale. And it would have been so easy to make it perfect :(

2. Wtfitskenny

Wtfitskenny Second Year

That scene with them standing under the umbrella, fade to black and ted's voice saying:
    I would have been so perfect....

3. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

4. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

I'm not hating on the ending or anything, but yeah, that was better.

5. Wtfitskenny

Wtfitskenny Second Year

that was way better

6. Sloth

Sloth Professor DLP Supporter

To me, the biggest problem the finale gave is that it shoved 10+ eps worth of information into a cramped 2 and I have no clue why.

They made the INSANE choice to stretch this wedding into 22 freakin' episodes, including and episode entirely dedicated to Marshall's asian quest for the perfect slap and his super-duper important bonding with sassy black lady. They could have cut most of it and have the wedding happen in the mid-season finale.

The rest of the season would then takes its time to go over the divorce (rather than literally less than 20 minute since the 'I do's), have the relationship with the mother fleshed out, as her illness, and Barney's kid, and everything else that's thrown at us then.

Admittedly, it'd go a bit farther from "How I met your mother" but I don't think anyone would have complained.

Aside from that though... ...ehhhhhhhh...I was actually pretty okay with the ending. Lots of complaints, but overall, most of it unfolded realistically, and like I expected. It was by no means good or satisfying, but to me, that's mostly due to time-management, and only partly due to writing.

7. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

A whole season dedicated to Robin and Barney's wedding. 4 minutes dedicated to their divorce.

I think the only reason this finale happened was because the writers thought we liked Robin more than we did, and relied on the happy ever after Robin and Ted ending. They couldn't predict the fact that we'd like Tracy way more with far less screen time.

Maybe Cristin Milioti did too good of a job. If we liked her less, maybe the ending wouldn't have sucked so much.

9 seasons of learning about the mother, wanting to meet the mother. We meet the mother, we love the mother.

LOL she's dead!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  8. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

What a load of fucking bullshit.

9. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Makes me happy I bailed on the show after the third or fourth season. Of course, no ending could be as bad as "Chuck."

10. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

The Nerd in me wants to say the reboot of Battle Star Galactica had a pretty shit ending.

11. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Now that I think about, is it possible that they are so nice to Robin because she knows Nick Fury and the Avengers?

12. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Weren't the kids disgusted that Ted kissed Robin after the episode 3 or so of the series? ("and that, kids, is how I met aunt Robin")

13. Brukel

Brukel Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Think that was the first episode actually.

14. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You know... I think I wouldn't be as pissed off about the ending if they had spent one episode -JUST ONE- really detailing Tracy getting sick instead of just being like 'surprise mofos! she's dead' in a 20 second bit.

15. Mister Ferro

Mister Ferro High Inquisitor

There's been an surprising update on the the spinoff "How I met Your Dad".

CBS Passes on spinoff

CBS wanted the pilot to be reshooted but Bays & Thomas did not want to do that.

16. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not surprising at all really. 90% of fans despised that ending, and I'm sure CBS is aware of the fact that the disappointment might stop people from watching the spinoff.

17. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I would've at least watched the pilot episode, if only to see how the fuck it's a spinoff from HIMYM, given that the mother died.

18. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I believe it was a spinoff in that it was the same concept, with no story ties to the original... which seems like not much of a spinoff, but I'm sure when ratings started flagging the network would push this show farther and farther until it eventually became a sequel series with a whole bunch of the side characters from HIMYM

Oh and as to the finale? FUUUUUUUCK THAT.

I think my girlfriend put it best: "the worst thing about Ted/Robin at the end is the whole fucking show is about making sure we know that they DON'T work together"

19. Idiot Rocker

Idiot Rocker Auror

Looks like that link got taken down due to copyright claims. Laaame.

More OT: I've actually only seen the first and last episode of HIMYM. It was still a terrible ending, and I didn't even sit through however many seasons of the writer's playing ping pong with our emotions.