1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

How much would you pay to see your favorite fanfic(s) get updated?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Maelstorm212, Sep 22, 2023.

1. Harpo the Fool

Harpo the Fool Fifth Year

WYLB=What You Left Behind? That's what I found by web search anyway. It was completed on 2005? Or do you mean something different?

No, rather the opposite, the money turns it into a job. I don't mind doing something as a job but it has to be basically full time at professional rates, not some beer money for doing something on the side.

I'd be uncomfortable paying anything towards fanfic since in that situation it's no longer fanfic. I could imagine throwing some $ support to a fan author in difficulty but that is different.

I'm similarly fine with paying for fiction (like most of us I've bought lots of books over the years), but in that case I'd want to get a completed work that had been through a real editing process, rather than serially published chapters like we usually get in fanfic.

2. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's not just motivation, it's capacity. If we're talking about someone who's an author and writes a lot as a job, sure, you could prob pay them to write something you want. But if we're talking about someone finishing a story they wrote 5-10 years ago as a teenager when they were a completely different person with different ideas/skills, it's a much different proposition.

Writing isn't something you just turn on and off, you need to have your head in the game. Spend days and hours daydreaming about what you're writing, thinking about what comes next. That's passion, and you can't get it on demand by providing money. There is often a significant quality difference in something that's being done as 'a job', and a 'passion project'. The best outcomes are usually the at the intersection of the two.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Denarian Lord is finished. And Enembee is no longer one of our own.

3. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

That makes sense.

I was pretty much we never go the last story for the denarian series. If I remember correctly, we just got the cliff notes on what would have happened.

Damn, it absolutely sucks to here that Enembee. Don't know how I missed that whole orderal

4. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Actually yeah, you're right, I do remember that now that I think about it.