1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

How would you tweak canon?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Jackarall

Jackarall Guest

Somebody mentioned it on the first page, but given I agree I'll just reiterate a bit. Basically, almost anybody who was introduced to magic would go nuts, wanting to learn everything. Sure, they would probably stop being so ridiculous quickly, but Harry acting even the least bit excited in the first book would have been great.
    Some childish excitement from Harry would have been wonderful and probably easy to convey - even if its just Harry commenting on some of the cool stuff he's read [talking to Ron] 'Is it really true wizards can teleport?' (which also introduces apparation early). And really, any 11 year old would be interested in teleportation.

2. Verse of Darkness

Verse of Darkness Denarii Host

Probably too much, but James grandparents being alive or Sirius adopting Harry.

3. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

I'd like the first, but the second has been overdone in fan fiction.

4. Atum

Atum DA Member DLP Supporter

I'd change the Second Task of the Triwizard Tournament. It strikes me as odd that the level of difficulty went from, "Surprise, Dragons!" to solving a clue and having months to prepare for an hour long hunt in the lake.

The first seems to epitomize what the Tournament was supposed to be while the second should have been fairly easy to tackle within the allocated period assuming you got the clue quickly enough and put in the proper research. If not, then Harry should've had a more difficult time down there.

Also, making Fleur appear more competent would be nice, since as is we really just assume she's a decent witch because she was selected to compete, rather than for any skill she showed in the tournament itself.

5. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I disagree. The three tasks of the Triwizard Tournament tested different skills.

The dragon test was supposed to be a surprise to show off the competitors' skills in dealing with an opponent they hadn't seen before.

The lake test was to showcase how each competitor went about researching and preparing for a specific task.

The maze test was to give the competitors the chance to show what they could do against multiple hazards and the other wizards after having lots of time to prepare for it. It's basically the wizard vs wizard finale to the tournament.

6. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

I always felt that the Third Task was undewhelming, and I think that 5 Tasks would have been much more interesting. More focus on the Tournament than Harry despairing, fights with Ron and bad dreams.

7. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    For the canon tournament, I'd perhaps introduce another task, with the canon third task now serving as a final round to test all the skills highlighted individually in the previous tasks.

8. Atum

Atum DA Member DLP Supporter

That's a fair point, but I still find it difficult to equate the challenge of facing a dragon without forewarning to being given time to research an obscure magical solution to the problem of being underwater for an hour. It also wasn't much of a showcase, considering no one could see shit as far as I'm aware.

9. Aekiel

High Score:
    I like to imagine that there were viewing spells of one variety or another to watch all of them. Not much of a spectator sport if you can't spectate.

10. anvyl

anvyl Third Year

Dumbledore had to talk to the merpeople to learn what happened under the lake, appently, so i'd say nobody saw anything.

11. Aekiel

High Score:
    Yeah, that's because JKR didn't think the whole thing through. You don't hold a competition to show off the talents of a bunch of wizards and then don't show anyone what's happening. The lake thing was a good bit of tension building and fairly exciting, but in retrospect it doesn't make sense from an in universe perspective.

12. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

I was always hoping to the assumption that people knew roughly what was going on all the time, but they couldn't know what exactly was happening in detail.

As I imagined it, the commentary would perhaps mention someone getting to meet a giant squid, or that Harry and Diggory passed each other by, but there would be no "direct image" from the place of action. In my mind, they had to go with just the commentary.

Otherwise, they were kinda like some racing fans, where you only watch it while all competitors pass on a single turn of the long road, and then move to the very finish line, to wait for them to arrive.

It'd be good if some of these possible explanations were explored or implied in canon - would make a reading easier.

13. 9th Doctor

9th Doctor Groundskeeper

Make the TWT happen once every 2 years with the 6th and 7th years able to apply. Harry sees it in his second year and gets excited. Doesn't participate in his fourth year. Becomes a contender in year six because of his motivation. Proceeds to beat his way through the tasks that Beauxbatons sets up and screw his way through their upper years female classmates. Voldemort returns in Year 6 instead of year 4 to a somewhat different situation.

14. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I thought you said TWT, not PWP.

15. golan

golan Temporarily Banhammered DLP Supporter

My goodness, not every case of Harry not being a damn monk is PWP!

16. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    Smh.

/10char

17. anvyl

anvyl Third Year

While pith is a virtue, this post makes no sense to me as a non english native.

18. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    SMH

Shaking My Head. A non-verbal way to show disapproval or disagreement (huh - now there's irony: a nonverbal [non-linguistic] sign has become a written [linguistic] symbol).

19. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

What the actual fuck. No offense, but SMH sounds retarded to the extreme...

20. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    I didn't make it up. It's just shorthand for the action, so no offense taken.