1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

HP Questions that don't deserve their own thread V2

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Sesc, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The most obvious example of spells wearing off over time is the Cheering Charm.

2. SeverusTheKnight

SeverusTheKnight First Year

Why brooms? Why not, say, flying pants?

I understand that witch = broom-rider, but is there a canon explanation for this?

We know that flying carpets exist in HP canon, so would other magically levitating load-bearing objects.

My headcanon is that the twigs on a broom increase "charm density". So they're not called brooms just because they might look like one.

This would also mean that flying in wet weather would make the broom drop, unless it has some sort of repulsion charm.

3. lopeck

lopeck Groundskeeper

At first, like with many things Rowling used, it was just that witches fly on brooms. However in Quidditch through the ages she tried to answer your exact question:

As far as I'm aware that's the only canon comments on why brooms and not something else. However, that's still a bit flimsy. A simple chair or stool would have the same advantages and less of the problems early brooms had.

The only reason I can see why you would use a broom instead of something made for sitting is because it's not made for sitting. The early charmwork was quite bad. And even modern brooms can act quite erratic if they are cheap or old. You don't want to sit in a char that is as likely to catapult you off of it than behave and let you sit normally. Same thing goes for robes. You don't want to take off by accident or having to change every time you want to fly.

4. Archinist

Archinist Hαn Sαlsæd First

Wasn't there a consensus here that wizards could defeat muggles if they wanted to? Why haven't they taken over the world yet?

5. LucyInTheSkye

LucyInTheSkye Seventh Year

Why would they want to? I think what we see from wizards and witches in canon, they have no interest in muggles and they are broadly speaking not into muggle technology or innovation (although they do sometimes appropriate something from the muggle world and make it their own thing). They see anything muggle as inferior, if they're being kind then maybe quaint and charming in a useless, old-fashioned way. The wizarding world has everything it needs, so no reason to try and take over a vast mass of people and/or land that doesn't have what they like and are comfortable with.

Also, if they were to abandon the statute of secrecy and come out into the open, wizards would be called on to solve muggle problems with magic, and that would be a never-ending and no-doubt tedious project. Like getting rid of every muggle disease etc. It's a much better life for them to remain in their own, secret bubble.

6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    From HBP:

Looks to me like wizards have already taken over the world. The Muggles just weren't told.

7. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I mean, assuming that wizards are as powerful as we think, it's kind of like saying 'couldn't humans defeat rats if we wanted to?'. There is nothing a rat does that we do not allow. If we really, really wanted to, we could exterminate them off the face of the earth, but that would mess up the ecosystem and no strategic advantage could be gained over it. When no further strategic advantage can be gained, you've won, and going any further is pointless.
    Re: Hagrid's explanation to a child: revealing our existence to rats has not obligated us to solve their problems. I really can't think of any reason they would care about the Statute with our current position that wizards could do whatever they wanted. It's just a narrative conceit so an otherwise normal, relatable boy can go to a wizard school and not see it coming.

8. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There's been 3 (I think) really long threads that cover just about every argument on both sides pretty comprehensively.

9. Archinist

Archinist Hαn Sαlsæd First

The lizards are actually the wizards, then.

10. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    Do we have any information on how the format of the Quidditch League Cup works?

We know there‘s a league table, thanks to the Cannons being the perennial favourite for the bottom spot. However, I flipped through my copy of QTTA and couldn‘t find any information on playoffs or the like. To me, it would make sense to have them, as the name League Cup also implies some form of playoff format to me. Also, because wizards love drama. :D

The downside to that is that we know the World Cup is played during the summer every four years, so League play would have to be reorganised accordingly. That could be done through a shortened season, with play either being paused (if it‘s played by calendar year), or finishing early (if it adheres to the format of muggle sports).

11. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

We have a few, very reasonable, guesses.

The starting point is to forget everything you know about American team sports and take the European versions. So, no playoffs, just regular league matches, everyone vs. everyone, typically twice in one season. The next thing is to look at the Quidditch tables Rowling wrote for the Daily Prophets ages ago. They look like this:

[​IMG]

There you see them ranked by points. The numbers make it clear they are derived from the score: Either the net result (so a 360-100 gets you 260 points) or, perhaps more likely, given the Cannons inability to win (and their lack of negative points), just the points scored.

This, by the way, is how Quidditch rules make perfect sense: That the Snitch is worth 150 points doesn't at all imbalance the game, because in the league, every single scored point counts. So if you lose 140-150 because you fail to catch the Snitch, you may have lost the match, but still collected 140 very valuable points for the league (and ditto for Hogwarts, where points scored contribute to the House Cup, and also create a table like the above for the Quidditch Cup).

The champion at the end of the season then is the team having scored the most points.

And as far as the QWC goes (held every four years), that would happen when the league pauses for the summer. National team matches to qualify would be held throughout the season, possibly with week-long pauses for league matches.

12. Mordecai

High Score:
    I'd never thought of it that way, and it clears up my biggest issue with the sport. Fantastic!

13. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

I'm fairly sure the Chudley Cannons do win the occasional match, so their 230 points may be net total from that. It would make more sense, and prevent collusion by teams from running up their totals in tandem to dominate the league.

14. Mordecai

High Score:
    I'm thinking it must be this option actually. If they all play every other team twice, then the winning team (Tornados) got an average score per game of 31.25 points. If they only play each other once then it's 62.5 points.

That seems pretty unlikely that that was the average score of the league winner, but it would make a lot of sense if that was their average net result.

15. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the fact that there are forthcoming games would suggest that the season isn't complete. Given that fact, I'm not sure we can draw any conclusions on how far through the season that league table is.

16. Mordecai

High Score:
    True, I missed that. Could be early in the season.

17. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    Wouldn‘t at least some teams have to have a negative differential, then? Alternatively, only the differential from victories could be counted.

18. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

You are, of course, entirely correct. Mathematically, if it were net results, the table would have to add up to zero at any given moment. So, you just proved it's points scored. Well done.

19. Prometheus VII

Prometheus VII First Year

Weird question... but is there anything in canon that specifies how wizards get their food?

Since they can’t make food with magic (@Gamp’s law), and raw ingredients have to come from somewhere, logic suggests they’d have to have infrastructure to either buy it from muggles, or grow it themselves. The ministry doesn’t have a “department of agriculture”, at least not one that JK specifies, so that leads me to believe they’d have to buy it from somewhere. Yet, it also seems silly to suggest that purebloods (who are ideologically defined by anit-muggle bigotry) would consent to shop — or send their house elves to shop — on the muggle agricultural free market.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Strangely, this is the second food-related post I’ve seen on here today. Go figure.

20. LucyInTheSkye

LucyInTheSkye Seventh Year

Good question! Can't imagine a big supermarket anywhere in Diagon Alley, but maybe a smaller butcher's shop where they sell mutton alongside common Welsh green dragon meat. I'm almost certain that vegetable patches are mentioned in one of the earlier books when they're walking near the green houses, and I suppose it might not be just the Weasleys who keep chickens. Xenophilius talks about Luna going fishing and he also makes his special gurdyroot infusion, so maybe quite a few of them are self sufficient to some extent?