1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

HP Questions that don't deserve their own thread V2

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Sesc, Oct 22, 2014.

1. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Didn't Hermione argue in Order of the Phoenix that curses, hexes and jinxes used in a defensive manner (counterjinx, etc) aren't dark magic, but Umbridge and her textbook disagreed? I might be misremembering the passage.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yes. The implication being that a counter-curse and a curse are the same spell just used in different ways, and that therefore the difference between Hogwarts DADA and Durmstrang's Dark Arts classes is largely one of perspective.

3. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

Rowling's definition of "counter-curse" lacks consistency. Sometimes they are brought up as no different from regular curses, and some other times they are brought up as spells that you use to reverse the effects of a curse.

4. Astaphta

Astaphta First Year DLP Supporter

What is the status of magic during a quidditch match? Accepting that outright spellcasting is forbidden (is it forbidden in all circumstances, though? come to think of it, is carrying a wand onto the pitch tolerated), is preemptively casting charms before a game illicit? I seem to remember Harry casting impervius spells or something? Can you cast a charm to enhance your performance (make yourself lighter, stronger, have faster reflexes for the duration of the match)? Can you ingest potions (Felix was forbidden but it's forbidden in many contexts)?

Second question, nothing to do with the first: I vaguely recall a moment in canon where McGonagall conjured food (sandwiches I think) out of thin air.
    1 - when did this occur?
    2 - was this in fact summoning rather than conjury?

5. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Book two
    Since McGonagall would be very aware of the dangers of conjuring food, we can assume that she was summoning some from the kitchens or un-Vanishing some that she had prepared for just such an occasion.

EDIT: or as what appears to be this case, the platter is linked to the kitchen and the elves resupply it when it gets empty.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  6. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

It could be about how it was used might have an effect. For example -what springs to mind for me-If someone used cursed fire(like fiendyfire) it is a curse but if someone creates cursed fire to stop cursed fire (fire breaking for example)it is counter cursing.

Another example for it is that one spell that causes someone to dance uncontrollably. You use leg locker to stop them because you don't know the counter spell and it is stil counter cursing.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  7. Astaphta

Astaphta First Year DLP Supporter

Thanks for the ref wordhammer, and your explanation makes sense. If you're right, one might say that the plate and jug act as a sort of mini-Great Hall table. I wonder what the limitations on this sort of magic are, then (other than spatial, as I don't imagine such a charm would work in London, getting stuff from Hogwarts): I mean, could a student do the same (get a house elf-linked breakfast in bed, for example) or is this somehow keyed to McGonagall's wand? Just a thought though, I don't think there's an in-canon answer..

On a similar topic: lots of fics have Harry or the staff or someone else eating elsewhere than in the Great Hall occasionally or often, and obviously the sort of magic mentioned above would make it easy. Do we know what the obligations are at Hogwarts vis-a-vis dining? Must all teachers always eat in the Great Hall? Do they? What about the students? Also: is there an obligation to eat at one's house table? Fanon seems to think not. Finally: is the teachers' table raised relative to the others (on a platform)?

8. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I would assume fanon is wrong or else Luna would eat with the Gryffindors. But Harry gives no fucks one way or other so he's not going to notice Padma and Parvati eating together even if they do.

9. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'm sure Percy and Penelope Clearwater eat together at some point - you'd think they could, anyway. There's definitely a bit where they talk to Harry about the upcoming Quidditch match in the Hall.

10. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's probably more of a case that you can, but it's more likely that the houses stick together for meals out of habit rather than any ruleset. I imagine. That near the end of mealtime the tables scatter more naturally with people mixing more once they've finished their food.

11. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Trufax: you could sit at any table you wanted... until 1991. Then Dumbulz changed the rules because he didn't want his pet 'boy-who-lived' to be well connected and stray from his two paid operatives, Weasel and Granger. It was one of many seemingly innocent 'house spirit' changes (purebloods used to just floo to Hogwarts, which is why Molly didn't know where the platform was and was able to con Harry, dontcha know) that suddenly appeared in the Hogwarts rule book just before Harry arrived, all to alienate him to anyone that might help him escape Dumb-old-doors manipulations.

And yeah, a lot of people found in suspicious. Harry never found out though, because of the anti-owl mail ward that surrounded Privet Drive. 'Couldn't they have said something at school?' I hear your unwoke asses asking. Nope. They couldn't. Ron would scare them off if they ever got passed the ignore-Harry-charm that the evil headmaster snuck on Harry at the sorting.

But vlad, surely Daphne could have said something.

And you're right. She could have. And she did. And her family got one pissed off headmaster who traveled back in time to curse their bloodline with a blood curse, for her troubles.

12. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

How did Voldemort not know the room he hid the Diadem in was known to many people?

Supposedly he hid it there thinking only he knew it existed. Maybe thinking only House elves put stuff there not students.

But surely Draco or someone explained how the Death Eaters got into the Castle in HBP, and that his hiding place wasn't as good as he thought.

13. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No definitive answer. Presumably he hid it in a secret room (RoR or not), not just in a room full of generations of junk, and then after the fact the Room moved it to bulk storage.

14. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

I was under impression Voldemort asked to room a place hide his diadem. Room give it to him but as soon as he left, room moved everything left behind to junk pile which is what room stores everything left behind while in the rest mode.

Voldemort never knew how little room cared for a piece of his soul. If he knew he would have been offended.

;)

Not that he can know. If he were to go back and ask room about his diadem he would get exact same room he left. Observer effect essentially.

RoR should have been called Schrodingers room really.

15. Distaly

Distaly Fifth Year

Does Voldemorte actually says himeself that only he knew of the room? Or was that Harrys thought? It is possible that Voldemorte knew other people found it but tought the risk low enought.

16. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Who knows really. For someone that JKR claimed was such a genius, Voldemort did not exhibit any remarkable intelligence and his reasoning was quite flawed.

However, logically he would have had to know that others had found the Room of Requirement as there were other things in it. He might have thought that no one finding the room would be able to actually find the cup in the room and then be able to recognize the cup, recognize it was a Horcrux, and know how to dispatch of said Horcrux.

17. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

The one who has the book, of course.
    So yes, I think Rowling is implying here that Voldemort thought he's the only one who knew about the RoR.

18. Distaly

Distaly Fifth Year

To me it sounds like Harry implies that Voldemorte things only he himself knows. It is possible that he never tought that.

19. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Then yet again the supposed once in a lifetime genius acts like an idiot for the plot to work.

20. Henry Persico

Henry Persico Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Well, being fair with Lord Voldemort, I think it was an act of genius to hide the Diadem in the RoR. We don’t know the room’s specifics enough to assume otherwise. Think what needed to happen to the Diadem to be destroyed:

To even know that there were Horcruxes and what they did (it was not exactly common knowledge)
    To work out what Voldemort's plan was.
    To have the nerve to actually try to stop him.
    For Dumbledore to stumble onto the room.
    For Dumbledore to mention it to Harry.
    For Harry to believe him and later try to use the room.
    For Harry to actually be able to use the room at will.
    For Dumbledore and Harry to work out that Voldemort had hidden a horcux under their noses at Hogwarts.
    For Harry to work out what the Horcrux was.
    For Harry to work out where the Horcrux was.
    For Harry to find it and have a means for breaking it.

The probability of this happening was very low. In my opinion it was the best guarded Horcrux of all. And it was destroyed because the plot needed it; in a RL situation, the plan is foolproof. Or as much as foolproof any plan can be.

Last edited: May 21, 2017