1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas for Magical Schools

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Taure, Sep 7, 2018.

1. zugrian

zugrian Squib

Personally, I hate Rowling's assertion that there are only 11 schools. The math just doesn't add up, but then Rowling is admittedly terrible at all things having to do with numbers.

If the UK and Ireland combined have enough students for 1 school, then the US should have several and countries like India or China should have possibly dozens.

Also, having the 1 US school in Massachusetts doesn't make sense in at least one regard. It's one of the most densely populated states in the country, 3rd out of 50. If you want to use something on the East coast to make it older, then Vermont would be much more fitting.

But as the country grew & expanded West, a school in the Rockies would make a lot more sense. Some place like Wyoming would have plenty of room to hide a remote school.

I could see Canada having two schools just by itself. The French Quebecois would have to have their own school as separate as they consider themselves.

2. Sataniel

Sataniel Groundskeeper

High Score:
    US should have very low magical pooulation actually.

3. Download

Download Supreme Mugwump DLP Supporter

Why?

4. Sataniel

Sataniel Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Well, the magical population is a very small percentage of the whole, and it is not as if Native Americans had a big population to begin with. Wizards wouldn't have as strong incentive to immigrate, so the disprolortion between populations would be even bigger. Additionally as Rowling mentions, NA was very unhospitable to wizards, one of the reason being puritans and stronger anti-magic attitudes among muggles. Salem led to big emigration wave and made immigration even smaller.

Though now I see that Rowling said that this evened out.

Doesn't exactly makes much sense in context of what she wrote earlier.

5. Download

Download Supreme Mugwump DLP Supporter

I'm not sure where you get the idea few would immigrate. There would be a lot of people looking to escape the crushing bureaucracy of the Ministry of Magic and even more looking to find a place away from prying muggle eyes found in the ever ore populous Europe. What puritans want matters little as they have no hope of doing anything to a witch or wizard bar a small child.

6. Nogan

Nogan First Year

Would the magical population of the Americas have been devastated by the Columbian exchange like the muggle one was? I don't remember what Pottermore says about this, if anything. Though IIRC the area of today's continental US had a relatively low population compared to Central America anyway.

7. Lindsey

Lindsey Death Eater

It's not 11 schools. It's 11 well known prestigious schools, like Harvard or Oxford.

And many nations did not exist in the past or tended to be divided. India was rarely united, until recently. It could explain why they do not have a prestigious school.

China could be against Muggle-borns for all we know and only favors the rich 'pureblood' types of learning. It would fit the Chinese culture. For most of their history, who you were mattered much more than what you knew.

As for America, you could have the majority of witches and wizards be part of different native tribes, and thus they learn magic within their own group. One large school for only 'western' wizards makes sense.

I will admit I prefer Alexandra Quicks author's America over Rowling.

8. Sataniel

Sataniel Groundskeeper

High Score:
    What?
    It matters as far as hostile muggles limit the number of wizard-muggle marriages.

9. Silirt

Silirt Second Year DLP Supporter

The History of Magic book that Harry was reading in Prisoner of Azkaban portrayed the witch trials as utterly futile. Even if the puritans knew wizards existed, they really knew nothing about them and could not do anything about them. Even wizards who were caught and bound could easily escape. The way it's depicted, there was really nothing that a little town in Colonial Massachusetts could have done if wizards decided to Imperius them, slaughter them wholesale, or come into their houses every day to put their left shoes on their right feet and their right shoes on their left feet.
    That said, I highly doubt the History of Magic books are objective.