1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Incorruptible: The Dementor's Stigma by Matt Silver 3k - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Lutris, Dec 8, 2011.

1. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Nah, Ellisande, I get what you mean in your review. Any iffy parts I've already thought over a thousand times, so I know more than anyone how dry some parts can be and how character focus slips here and there; overall I'll always be proud of this, how could I not given the undertaking it was, but I'll never not want some things to be a bit more... more.

I think it shows in Chapter Fourteen: Integrity, which is now up on FF.net. After a while the politics plots, arguably the weakest aspect to the story, just drove themselves into dry and boring stuff. While I tried to make the point of every politics-based character arc reflect on Harry's own character or the plot at large, whether or not I succeeded is something that the readers will have to decide, while I myself am torn.

On one hand, I wanted to write them because it was something I hadn't seen before, and at the time, my main inspiration was Game of Thrones. After watching that then reading the books, I loved the idea of the interwoven families and generational conflicts, so much so that I added the Wizengamot plot based on more than twenty histories I created for every member. Conveying that in such a way that was interesting tripped me up, and after a while I just realised how out of place that kinda stuff was. Again, I pushed myself to the challenge of writing them, and I don't regret that much.

Anyways, to get back to the point Ellisande made, the characterisations aren't as focused because there's so much to keep track of where there shouldn't be. In my attempt to make every Wizengamot member pop and be memorable, I added twenty subplots that drag shit down. So this chapter I'm posting now is a bit of a catharsis, a long-ass one, but felt great from a writing perspective. I hope you all enjoy, because we don't have much left, and I'd be interested to hear a lot of hindsight comments by the end of it, because that's where I've been working from this whole time, and when y'all reach, it'll be great. Two weeks to go!

Also, on another note, I might as well float an idea I had while writing Incorruptible, and that may have sprouted from the politics holes I'd written myself into. Basically, I liked all the characters and the world I created, but felt that there were some aspects I could've explored more, some alternate plotlines I wanted to try out (Some that got excised from the original concept years back) that wouldn't have fit in the Incorruptible outline.

So basically, the idea is for an AU fic starting from one point (Think Fate/Stay Night alternate routes). The idea of the zombie apocalypse world mixed in with Dementor craziness really appeals to me due to the desperate plots and tragic character beats I can create, and I think there's story potential in AU plots. I'd take one point and change it, for reasons that would be evident in both AU fics right away. Yeah, both. I'm talking no politics, but a more focused character-based way of doing things in both of them, while still retaining the basic backbones of things. Like, you'd know the history of a certain character because it was the same in Incorruptible. Though, of course, I'd explain it, or any changes, in the AU fics to make them stand on their own a bit, but it's a neat idea that allows me to show how things could've gone had a certain event been changed.

In basics, the AU point is the end of the St Mungo's lockdown. In one fic, we see what happens when Neville dies to Harry's reaction; the changes would be instant, if you remember what happened immediately after. This one would go balls to the wall crazy right away, in interesting ways. The second fic would have Sarah survive, Neville too, and explore some aspects of rebuilding the world after the events surrounding the disclosure bill in an AU-y way; this one would also build some more on Harry and Sarah's relationship, give a real sense of why Harry would've chosen to marry her, and have them push past various events as a team. Right away you can all see how things would be different to Incorruptible, so I don't repeat a single plot while still keeping them in the same relative world.

Anyways, those two are stories I'm really looking forward to exploring, and if there's interest, that would be awesome to hear. I've already been taking in constructive criticism from this thread in consideration for them (Except, sorry Silens, but they'll never fit your definition of a "true" zombie story; I use the zombies as a backdrop for the stories being told, 'cause I think there's no doing it otherwise with how magic is involved.), and so yeah, just thought I'd get it out there.

If anyone has any questions about that, I'd be happy to field them here in between other comments on Chap Fourteen. I hope you all enjoy.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  2. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Yet another great chapter. It's nice to see the end of the political story line, which you finished off very nicely. Harry's speech was very good. While the politics isn't your strongest suit, it's still much better than in most other fics. I like that you have managed to give each character their own unique motivations for siding the way they do, as opposed to the usual Purebloods vs everyone else.

So is your idea basically to write a fanfic, of your own fanfic? Hmm, I'll probably read the shit out of that.

3. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Cheers, Bill. As I've said before, still trying to write the politics stuff was worth trying, just to see what would happen. I would be hella interested in what another author or two could do with it, but I digress.

Chapter Fifteen: Incarceration is up on FF.net after a slight delay involving a late night and a series of unfortunate events. I like this chapter. I mean, it's nothing huge or special or mind-boggling - well, it could be depending on your views - but it's a capable little bridge and hits the emotional notes I wanted it to. But in the end it's a precursor to my super huge and epic fun final chapter, which should be a treat for all those who have waded through the mire of politics and the like in the rest of the story. Anyways, hope you all enjoy Chap 15. Leave a comment or something if you'd like, though if you're saving final comments for the end of the story next week, that's cool too. Looking forward to it.

4. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

You magnificent bastard.

Ron is such a minor character in this story and you still made me care about him. I was genuinely touched when he said how he already planned for the others to use his (un)death.

This whole situation just reflects Harry's position so well: He is so caught up in this overwhelming mess of political maneuvering, hidden agendas and allegiances, dementor armies and normal people desperately trying to survive, that he couldn't even take care of his best friend after he went through a traumatic experience. And now that friend is dying, actually moderately happy about it, and Harry can't do anything to change that.

All of this feels like a lead up to one epic showdown, but with most of his major enemies and adversaries out of the picture I couldn't even begin to guess how this story is going to end. Additionally I do believe that there's something big that we (as in the readers and Harry) don't know about yet.

And why do I get the feeling that this minor anecdote about Astoria, Daphne and Nott was really, really important?

This story gives me the same impression as Breach, it just feels so carefully and meticulously planned out, crafted and executed.

Great chapter.

5. Bill Door

FUUUUUUUCCCCKKKK!!!!

Goddamn cliffhanger. But yeah, another great chapter. Agree with everything Trig said.

6. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oh god damn it. I just knew Juliet was going to be the one. I just fucking knew it.

If you never post another chapter, this will still get 5/5 from me.

7. JimmyCranberry

JimmyCranberry High Inquisitor

This fic is simply remarkable. What a brilliant story you've put together here, Matt. I can hardly wait for the epic conclusion.

Also, fuck Juliet.

5/5

8. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

I think Terry would have liked you (til he got fucked over by Juliet).

9. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Ooh, burrrrrn Kai. You go guy. Also, thanks for the comments Trig, Bill, Aek and JC McGee.

Okay, so this is it. No more whoring out my chapters. I've been sitting on this one for over five months. Decided to release it early-like. With Chapter Sixteen: Incident, the story of Incorruptible comes to a close, and, while I do a bit of rambling on how fun the ride's been in the chapter itself, let me do some more here! Hell of a ride, ups and downs, had a blast, enjoyed the comments and discussion and the thumbs up/stars et cetera. Having a story in DLP's library is a forever awesome experience, so woot me! And woot all of you, too. You crazy guys have, while not exactly pushing the actual writing of this because it was all complete and stuff, definitely encouraged future writings. Especially the Incorruptible AUs; no politics guys, promise. More character/apocalyptic focus.

So yeah, in keeping with that, if you all have some cool little ideas or something that you'd like to see, I'd like to hear about it. Who was your favourite character? I may already have plans of getting them fleshed out a bit already. Your favourite plot point/dramatic reveal? I don't intend to repeat myself in the AUs - and from what I've got so far, definitely not - but what impacts people the most on a visceral level would be cool to hear, and definitely would influence future writing. Feedback is always appreciated!

So thanks to all of you for reading, and I really hope you enjoy Chapter Sixteen. Maybe you will, maybe you won't. I'm open to comments or questions from everyone, and while you could spoiler tag, it's fine either way. I'll always be here to reply, and on IRC most of the time. And maybe sometime soon I'll post in here a teaser of Ashes. It will be bloody. And fun!

EDIT: And if a mod could change the title from "WIP" to "Complete", that would be really appreciated, thanks.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  10. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Okay, final impressions...

There are moments of absolute brilliance in this fic. The conversation between Harry and Fortess in the last chapter. The first part of the Hunt flashback. Any scene where Malfoy and Harry are talking. Any scene where Nott and Harry are talking. The realization of the broader, overall symbolic meanings that ring all the more poignant - and also, those that make this fic less of a traditional zombie story and one more analogous to the broader themes of Prisoner of Azkaban. Instead of overcoming fear, this is a story about dealing with despair. Between the Dementors, the doomed romance with Astoria, and the general grim atmosphere of the fic, everything culminates around how we, as humans, attempt to deal with despair and loss. Even the political scenes say things on a broader level about this theme, as it discusses what we might do if we have the opportunity to alleviate another's pain versus protecting ourselves. There are great messages conveyed throughout this story, and it was really refreshing to see them.

So yeah, on a thematic level, this story earns its spot in the Library without question. On an execution level...

Okay, if I'm going to be completely honest, I found the final climax a little underwhelming. It was hard, because I know you were going for a sense of Harry's panic and confusion, and perhaps it was your usage of the first-person perspective, but I had a hard time following the route up to the town hall and the following escape. I mean, it was well-written, but a little unclear.

Also, maybe it's because there wasn't that time to reflect, but Ron's death lacked a bit of weight. Believe me, you wrote him brilliantly, but I think those scenes were missing a certain something that would give them perfect emotional resonance. Once again, I think this is more of a problem with the first-person perspective, but I don't know.

Overall, the story... it's a great fic, I'm not doubting that, and there are moments of absolute greatness that overshadow even the bad stuff. The atmosphere is great, the dialogue (with one exception, which I'll get to) is well-written, the action for the most part is very solid, and the plotting was intricate and engaging. Massive props, across the board.

If anything, I think there are two main weaknesses to this story. First is the usage of 1st person narrative. Granted, I get what you're trying to do with this, and I wouldn't complain as much about this if it wasn't for the fact that I don't think it gave all that much to the story. Harry's thoughts and musings were fine interjections, but you convey so much of that through dialogue anyway that it would been fine through 3rd person. Granted, I know you did it to try and build connections to characters and get us to empathize with Harry - and for the most part, it works - but I wish there was a little more for a reader to latch onto.

And this leads back to the second and bigger problem of this story - the romances with Astoria and Sarah just don't work as well as they should. There's a certain lack of chemistry with Astoria that I know was probably intentional, given it was an affair and their history and all that, but it really didn't make me care all that much about the character, certainly not as much as Harry did. And maybe it was the fact that Harry's already lost so many people, but her passing seemed to lack weight with Harry in a way that perplexed me. There wasn't that time for Harry to brood or reflect on their relationship that would have added some great depth.

Finally, the relationship with Sarah - and I'm really sorry for saying this, Matt, but it didn't resonate with me at all. Maybe it was because we only got glimpses of Sarah until the flashbacks, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that's not it. No, the more I think about it, it's not that we don't see much of her, but that she doesn't really have much of a character of her own. She comes across almost as a plot device, to push Harry towards a certain point with another tragedy that really only adds another name and a different type of burden to the one Harry already carries with Hermione, Luna, etc.

Let me draw an analogy to Wastelands of Time - and yes, you're a good enough author, I can do this. There was only one brief sequence in that story with Tessa, and before that, she was hardly mentioned, but it was profoundly powerful because she was a fully-realized character and you could tell exactly how much Harry's lives had been shaped by her.

Now, I compare that to the flashback with Hunt when the infection first started. Now granted, that's a busy flashback and it's giving a lot of exposition and details about how everything went to hell, but it's also a good glimpse at the relationship between Sarah and Harry - and there's not enough there. I think the biggest problem is that Sarah's barely a character and not very memorable. Harry keeps talking about how meaningful she was to him, but after the flashback, I hardly know this girl. Sure, Harry loved her, but why? There just didn't seem to be enough there for me to latch onto, if that makes any sense.

But if I'm completely honest, none of those complaints hold up to the fact that this is a fantastic story that is both memorable and striking in its own way. Bravo, Matt, and I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with the omakes.

PS. I reviewed your completed project, you review mine. ;)

11. Bill Door

I've said several times in this thread that I absolutely love this fic, and I think I'll say it again. I absolutely fucking love this fic.

Honestly, I don't think that the ending was as good as it could have been. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great, I just think that it could have been better. At times it seemed like you were trying to make up for a lack of zombie based action in the rest of the story by cramming as much as you can into the last chapter. As much as everyone likes to see some wizards cut loose and blow shit up it just felt a bit forced at times.

That said, it still contained some of my favourite scenes. The parts with Ron were brilliant as were the parts with Ellie. In fact all the character interactions were fantastic, it was just the action that I had a problem with. The epilogue was very well done, you managed to convey a sense of completion while still showing that things weren't all perfect.

All in all this has to be my favourite fic of all time. I can't wait for the AUs. Well done on writing a truly brilliant story.

12. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

This is probably one of my favorite stories in the fandom, and I've religiously followed it since chap. 12. The ending left you on an uncertain note, and I think it fit the overall theme nicely. I'll let it be known: I was shipping ellie since I first read her introduction. :p

I look forward to reading the AUs, Warmth in practicular. Cant wait to fail my finals when they come out.

13. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Well, Matt... here's that review I kept saying I'd give you but never quite got around to, though I did review some individual chapters early on. Figure I owe it you *fist bump* and I just finished re-reading most of the story. I think the story was fantastic, first of all, so don't take any critique I might add in this review too much to heart. One of those things where a story is good enough that you come up with all sorts of nickpicky things to comment on.

But first, let me get the rating out of the way -- 4.5/5 (sorry I can't give it a 5/5)

The first thing I noticed on re-read was that a lot of little things jumped out at me, things that I had missed on the first time through (though granted I hadn't quite finished the entire thing when I began the re-read a while back), despite the awesome "previously" bits at the starts of chapters. It highlighted how tightly plotted this story was, and that really impressed me. The reveal of the past was well paced, the slow realization of what had caused the epidemic, the sense it made in hindsight, little things coming back to haunt them... good stuff. What was even better was how well the concept of walkers, zombies, dementors breeding, etc. was incorporated into HP. Couldn't have been done better, or at least I can't see how.

But Potter telling people that he was "done playing the game" was far too long in coming, in my opinion. I know that's a personal opinion, but there you have it. Harry said that he should've done it from the start... and he should have, or should have done it sooner in any case. It actually felt a bit flat to me by the time he finally did do it, just because the story was coming to close by the time he did. It felt awesome and epic when he finally got tired of the Wizengamot, but I can't help but feel it should have happened midway through the story moreso than near the end. Sorry -- again, personal feeling, though I'm not generally a fan of Political stories so that might be part of it (the Zombies helped a lot with spicing that aspect of things up!). Harry's explanation was realistic (when he said that he'd gotten caught up in things he hated as a teen, or whatever it was he said to Fortess) though, and I liked that bit a good bit. I actually liked everything from the point Harry "had enough" rather a lot more than the several chapters preceding it.

Romance was done really well, and without taking up too much screentime (thanks for that). The vasty majority of the OCs were awesome too (I especially liked Hunt). Ogden was also pretty great, despite his flaws. I kept feeling that Aberforth should have come off a bit more formidable than he did, though obviously not at his brother's level. Julie and her arc in the story were very well done. It bugged me that Ellie was allowed to stay at the end to fight, but it played out nicely. I was suspicious of Su from early on in the story, though I'm not sure why since that vague suspicion never amounted to anything. I liked Fortess a good bit, and was genuinely sorry to see him die (even if it did help Stanthorpe to step up finally, which was a good little arc too).

Ron was fantastic from start to finish. His death was a great scene, and filled with all sorts of reasons and undercurrents. Ron's devotion to Harry was great the whole way through too, solid support, whereas even Harry's other allies were a bit harder to convince.

Various reasons for things throughout the story though felt a bit... contrived? Like the complete inability to keep the Ogden's safe (Harry had little trouble keeping Teddy safe, and surely they'd have threatened him?). The reasons for not acting early on and helping/telling the Muggles things seem to be fairly poor. At the end why not ride double on the brooms to evacuate, so that Harry & co. could have kept one? Why didn't Harry just say "to hell with it" and use magic to put guards to sleep long enough to toss the invisibility cloak over Nott and frogmarch his ass out of the city as soon as he found out what that amulet was? (I know he couldn't have used magic on Nott, but there were ways I think). Harry just always seemed to be trying so hard to play by rules, and I know all of that was explained, and explained well, but it still grated at times.

I did quite enjoy some of the politics though. Lobell and Stark, playing a role from start to finish. The reactions (or inactions) of Robards and Kingsley. Malfoy's adept manipulation of the muggles, etc. But all the constant worrying and pandering for votes seemed to take up more space than was warranted, in my mind. I kept wanting to get back to things that mattered.

The story itself was very... heavy, I suppose, all the way through. That was something I couldn't pinpoint until later. Reading it was enjoyable. Reading it was interesting. The writing and plotting was fantastic. But it lacked a feeling of fun. I don't mean "haha, derp, pranks" type of fun, but... for example, some of the initial mishaps when they were getting to Granford for the first time, with some of the young wizards first meeting muggles. Bits of that added a bit of levity. Later Aberforth telling the Zombies that sorry, the pub was closed, accomplished a similar bit. But those bits of humor were few and far between. From one standpoint that worked quite well, given that the story ultimately dealt with problems arising from Dementors and that is much like the effect that produce. But I did feel that it lacked a little something there.

That said there was some effing fantastic poignant moments. Some of the best I've ever read. The rocks that Harry used to represent his dead comrades, the final few conversations between Harry and Ron, Ron saying he wouldn't have passed up sitting in Harry's compartment, Harry finding Astoria dead like he did, and so on. Good stuff man.

From some standpoints, I loved the ending. I liked that they ended with a community getting started up, settings things in order to rescue any other survivors they could find, and presumably starting to sort out what they were going to do about the Dementors/Zombies/whatever in the future now that the all-important issue of Muggle Relations was sorted. Teddy running around happy and Harry's radio speech capped things nicely off. ...but from another standpoint, well, I'm not sure what Harry has to live for at this point. I dont' buy that it's Ellie, not really, and Teddy has been mostly out of the picture. No one who really stood with Harry in the war against Voldemort seems to be left in his life, and that bugged me a little, though I can't quite put my finger on why. But in the end the ending was good and the final chapter was fantastic. *thumbs up*

The story definitely reads better over the course of a few days though, rather than piecemeal chunks. Once the ball gets rolling it reads great, but after a break it's hard to get it rolling again because of the heavy atmosphere and the complicated subplots. Once I started reading it was hard to put down, but at the times where I did put it down for a while, well, I wasn't chomping to stay up late and refresh for updates.

TL;DR -- I quite enjoyed the story. I thought it was very tightly plotted, which added a great deal to the enjoyableness of the story. Despite the tight plot the characters did take way too long to get around to the business of saving people though, especially given who the characters were. Story was slightly lacking in moments of levity to break up the heavy atmosphere, but it mostly made up for that with poignant and interesting scenes. Characterizations were all bloody brilliant. ...and lets not forget the most important thing, zombies! I mean, damn, that entire concept was handled near perfectly for placement into the HP world. Rock on.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  14. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've just finished reading this fic. Please excuse the lack of depth in my review, As im writing this on a phone due to the fact that I have no Internet. I also read the last 3 chapters at the same time.

Firstly, let me start off by saying that Silens covered nearly all of my thoughts far better than I ever could of. Overall, I thought that this was a fantastic story, but it had some very clear issues which took it down from a 5/5 to a 4/5. As I mentioned before, characterization, unlike Silens, I thought it was weak, perhaps the weakest part of the story in fact. The only moments that actually made me feel was Astoria's death, the realization that Ron was going to die, and pretty much any scene involving Hunt. Hunt was my favorite character in here by far. I covered this pretty well in my last review though, and I don't have that much more to add to it.

The next problem I found is that there is stil no hook really. Between chapters or in general, there's never that sense of 'I can't put this down, I must know what happens next'. I think this relates to characterization for me though.

Again, this is just what I felt to be the weakest points. As Silens mentioned, the thematic message of the fic was incredible. As was the plot. Everything was cleary and logically thought out, major plot points were never obvious in coming. It's not something that I'll reread anytime soon, but it's also something that I'll never regret reading.

My last point is, that I. Don't think your next projects should be AU to this story, I'd love to see something new out of you. You seem to have that incredibly rare ability to completely plan a fic out before you write it, and I think youd be better off as a writer by doing something completely new, and focusing on improving the few problems you have.

Either way, regardless of what you choose to do next, I cannot wait to read it.

Again, this was written on a phone, do apologies for any retarded typing.

15. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

So I finally read this. I put it off, because Zombie's aren't my thing, but it had Astoria (of course, you then killed her. Talk about a downer). Well, anyway, first of all, editing. I dunno what was up, but there were a lot of missing words or missing quotation marks. It became better as the story went on, but the e.g. the first chapter was bad enough to be distracting, and you don't ever want that. Just from reading it:

Stuff like that. Threw me off, because I wasn't used to that from you.

As for the story proper, someone said the Wizarding world didn't seem affected enough. I say it was affected too much. I know you had lots of reasonings and explanation how stuff happened, but regardless, when everything was said and done, I couldn't help but feel that wizards should have dealt with the Zombies and the outbreak better. More easily. More, I dunno, magic-y. Maybe it's got to do with my indifference to Zombies, and maybe it's because I like magic strong and powerful, but there you are. The entire time I felt the threat of the Zombies and the Stigma shouldn't have been A) a threat, and B) caused this massive upheaval. I was looking for Diagon Alley and the Ministry and normality.

As a consequence, this meant I couldn't enjoy the story as I wanted to. I guess it amounts to saying I don't very much like the premise. Sorry :p

What I did like was Malfoy's planning. And from a story-telling perspective, there were a few nice twists and the story (once it picked up, after Harry & co. getting settled in the Muggle town) always kept me reading and wanting to read more, so the grip was there. And Astoria's death touched me.

So, bottom-line? I still don't care for Zombies and Zombie-stories. That in itself makes it unfair to rate this, so I won't. For what it was, it was good, I just don't like it all that much.

Oh, and Juliet is one of the most useless wastes of flesh I have encountered in a long time. At the and, my hatred for her even topped the one for Malfoy. Her death wasn't nearly painful enough to satisfy my sheer want to tear her to pieces after she single-handedly killed half her town and then panicked. Good fucking god. Argh. This is why you don't want women in charge. Srsly though. HATE.

16. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

If I rewrite Juliet's death to go on for 200k words involving her being tortured in every conceivable way before she dies then going through the nine circles of Dante's hell afterwards, that gets me five stars, right? RIGHT?

(But thank you muchly for reviewly, Sescly. You survived your distaste of zombies for me. Just for that I won't tell the cops about that dead hooker in Amsterdam. Wooooo.)