1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Incredible action scenes - which fic has the best?

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Element, Mar 23, 2006.

1. shlager_5321

shlager_5321 First Year

well i think that the battles in the whole of the Sword trilogy are great
    i especially liked the ones were Harry is leading armys of people against the deamons...
    another good fight scene i think is the one in A Second Chance At Life where Harry returns to london and fights against the Vempires of Voldie

2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's not exactly actiony or very large in scale but I always though the prison break in Of Blood and Power was stylish...

3. phoenix_rage

phoenix_rage First Year

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  4. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Holy necrobump, batman! Three and a half years in fact. I think you've set a record, poor newb.

I predict shitstorm in 3... 2... 1...

5. phoenix_rage

phoenix_rage First Year

Oh Shit! I didn't realize this thread is so old. I was just searching because I was about to start a similar thread myself. Well, let the shitstorm begin.....

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  6. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Well, you still have the chance to revive it properly by trying to bring the discussion into the present, etc.

7. phoenix_rage

phoenix_rage First Year

Well I feel that Shezza's action scenes are the best.

jbern's Bungle in the jungle and it's sequel are pretty good too. I have read plenty of fics with great action but don't feel like looking them up right now.

8. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Well, what do you consider good action scenes? Do you want things to go boom? People to use transfiguration, conjuration, and other techniques instead of just all out spells? Before yyou say something is good, good has to be defined, no?

9. Johnny Farrar

Johnny Farrar High Inquisitor

Joe's Wastelands of Time contain some great action scenes. The action there is a bit different than normal action fics. There are not only just spells, but runes and old world magic. The action scenes are as epic as the rest of the story. It is one of the best action fics around.

Then there is The Lie I've Lived by Jbern, it had cool dueling scenes in the Tri-Wizard Tournament and some great action scenes.

Dalyon's Acerbus Angelus and Of Blood and Power are pretty good too.

Enembee's The Skitterleap contains some great battle scenes.

Amerision's Temptations of a Dark Soul had an illegal underground duel, that I found to be pretty cool.

Andromalius' story The Assassins Decreed had lots of action too

That is all I can remember from the top of my head. I, myself am writing a story HvH, which will feature a lot of action, whether it is good or not, I will leave it upto you folks.

10. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

Miranda Flarigold writes combat that is exciting and surprising. From one-on-one to full-fledged battles, the only fight that wasn't awesome was a simple takedown in chapter one. After that, they just get better. She blends hand weapons and ranged weapons with magic and shape shifting superbly.

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/100447/Miranda_Flairgold

11. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Honestly, hands down, best action scenes for me are by Nuhuh. The Harry/Dumbledore duel at the end of Catharsis is incredible. DF/MP has some amazing ones too.

As much as I love Shezza's work, I feel that his action scenes are one of his weaker points. He is still however high up on the list compared to most of the other drivel though.

Joe definitely comes to mind. Jbern too, with Lie and Bungle.

12. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

This.

That one scene was more awesome than entire fics.

13. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Wow, thanks guys. I really had fun writing that scene, and I usually do enjoy writing such scenes as well. Though, oddly, I don't like reading action scenes. Maybe because most people don't make them very different. They seem to follow form - if you've read one, you've read all.

When I was still newbie fanfic reader I used to love Nedved's action sequences - super dramatic and, yes, corny as well because of the uberdrama.

Shezza, of course, because he usually brings in something unique to the scene.

14. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

You wouldn't normally think nonjon's A Black Comedy would be a contender here, since combat isn't the focus of the story. However, the duel featuring Magical!Arms!Harry & Sirius Black vs. Voldemort was a very, very cool read. I remember it being long, detailed, action packed, and featuring a variety of interesting tactics and situations. IIRC, it featured a lot of use of Apparition and temporary anti-Apparation wards, material objects to get in the way of unforgivables, different types of shielding and magic!vision enhancement spells, the whole lot. The dynamic with Sirius providing vital extra actions for Harry in exchange for being a defensive liability requiring protection was quite interesting in and of itself.

Though I tend to favor Jbern's work and he has written far more quality combat scenes in total, I think that particular duel was the best one I've ever read.

15. Innomine

High Score:
    The best thing about Shezza's action scenes is that his Harry is just a complete fucking jackass to whomever is fighting, heh. Not to mention, its fascinating reading a fighting scene from the perspective of a 'bad guy' ie, something who revels in the pain, destruction and killing that he does.

You actually just reminded me of Nedved's action scenes. I have incredibly fond reccollections of Nedveds work. Fascinating stuff. Does anyone know where I could find all of his stories again? I would be interested in rereading for nostalgias sake.

As for not enjoying reading action, yeah, I generally find that once you've read one, you've read them all. Only the really exceptional authors can really put in the little things that make all the difference. You are one of those.

Have I done enough ass kissing to earn more chapters? :D

16. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Writing action is super hard.

You have to balance the intellectual (the why of a character's actions) with the actions themselves. It's incredibly hard to pull back from the awe-inspiring images that you might get if your story was a movie (or how it appears in your head) and try to put those images into words that anyone can interpret in the same way that you, as the author, do.

In other words, it's a precarious balance between an intellectual exercise and shock and awe.

So very difficult.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  17. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Four years on in this thread and I'm still taking names and kicking ass. Hellz yeah!

Hmm... that's either very cool or very sad.

Personally, I'm gonna have to tip my hat to Shezza. Been reading through his Denarian series again to catch up, and there's some serious ingenuity in those battles.

18. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Last I saw his shit was still up on http://www.harrypotterfanfiction.com/ but he lost loads of random ass chapters in each story.

19. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I don't really get it why people like that scene so much. They don't even use HP magic... And Harry seemingly forgot that he could Apparate.

20. Innomine

High Score:
    Because it was amazingly well written? Find me a battle scene were the protagonist does every possible logical move, when the guy has a fucking shit load of power. Literally, I can almost guarantee that I could point out something that the protagonist could of done better.

Not to mention, is it actually possible to apparate in Diagon Alley? Taure, where are you?

Yeah ,thats the problem I had. Its not complete. If I was to reread it, it would have to be a complete version. :/