1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Insightful Views on Harry Potter

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Devil Incarnate, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Devil Incarnate

Devil Incarnate First Year

I have finally figured out J.K Rowling's mentality when it came for Harry to begin to see the thestrals in his fifth year.

By observing the unspoken rule of the death being that of a human, the first death Harry saw is Cedric's. Now you may think I have been smoking something since he saw his parents die at the age of 1. But that's just it! I mean, how many of us can remember something that happened to us as toddlers. Also, such a traumatic event would cause some to bloc it from their concious mind. Harry's dreams of a bright green light and a sharp high laugh only cause confusion. In the third year, the dementors came. They caused him to remember his parents death and relive it. But all they did was make him hear screams of "Run Lily! It's him!" and "Not Harry, please!" He didn't see them!

The point I'm trying to make is he was an infant whose only thought is food=cry, dirty=cry, hurt=cry. He can't remember seeing them die. And since Cedric's death is the first death he truly saw, he was traumatized by it and did not notice the thestrals. He saw them in his fifth year because by then reality had set in.

Or perhaps I'm overthinking the situation due to lack of computer time (it crashed) and J.K.R just forgot to mention them.

Thank you. 8)

2. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Er.... :? Didn't Jk say almost exactly that in an interview...?

3. Devil Incarnate

How should I know?

4. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Yep that was her half assed excuse given shortly after OOTP came out

5. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

It shouldnt matter if you cant remember it, you've still seen Death and therefore, should be able to see the dead horsey since first year.

If you got your memory wiped, I bet you'd still be able to see em even if you dont remember the death.

COS is on right now, lol. I can heard it playing that music in the other room.

6. Devil Incarnate

I have a small peeve since COS. If Malfoy and Voldemort both hated muggles, then why did Malfoy give the diary to Ginny?

Did he think that Voldemort would be able to fit inside that empty waste of space called a Weasly?

7. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

No, just steal her energy to bring his lord's soul piece back, and restore him to his former glory.

8. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

and kill a blood traitor too.

9. Midknight

I was under the impression that Lucius didn't know what the diary was? Or that he thought it just had a strange personality.

Either way it makes no sense he waited forever to get the book back into Hoggiewarts regardless of what he thought it was I'd imagine.

10. Devil Incarnate

I'm sure you are all right, but what about this.

Why does every author make Fleur a nurse or medi-witch?

Do they all have fantasies about her in a nurses outfit or something?

11. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

:twisted: Probable

12. Devil Incarnate

Snape.

A brilliant potions master, extremely gifted in Dark Arts and Occlumency, and a wimp who can't let go of his childhood. Why?

Why did J.K make such a shallow and single-minded being out of what could have been one of the most profound characters in the Harry Potter series?

I'm sure there is more to the man than someone who cant let go of his childhood rivalry. I mean, students that have rivalries with each other in the present day don't usully wait until their child is in school to torture them. They just bring a gun to school and shoot them up. End of story.

Why can't Snape have closure? What do you guys think about Snape?

13. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I don't give a shit about canon version of Snape anymore, coz JKR had obviously been brain-fucked by all those millions and movie rights.

There are two explanations for that in fanfiction:

1) Snape's not anything special.

He's an average potion master and there's no one better in Britain coz he's teaching them and making sure that no one else grow to like the subject. His Occlumency is above average but it's taught by Dumbledore himself - how many Occlumens can say that? Finally, any jerk can cast dark magic and wreck havoc. If Crabble & Goyle can do it, why can't Snape? That's why Dark Arts are so dangerous and forbidden, after all.

2) He's great wizard with hidden agenda.

He don't hate Harry at all, but have some other agenda behind his actions.

a) Where his intentions are evil:

Making sure Harry directs his hate at him and not at Voldemort (truly, Harry seems to loathe Snape more than Riddle). He might be easily persuaded to join Voldemort, or at least be manipulated by him.

Distracting Harry from his studies (with detentions and G/S rivalry) so he don't become knowledgable and powerful.

b) Where his intentions are good:

Making sure Harry don't get too arogant and pampered. By criticising him, trying to harden him, motivate him to study harder and become a better wizard.

c) Where he's Dumbledore lapdog

Making sure Harry grows to loathe Slytherins so he wouldn't become one of them (think, if Harry was sorted in Slytherin, would he really be "Dumbledore's man" in HBP?)

Making sure Harry grows to loathe potions and never learn the true nature of magic (which is needed for the understanding of potions) thus never grow strong enough to challege Dumbledore as the leader of light.

Bah, there are more I'm sure but I just can't think of any right now.

14. DaytonDeusBlack

DaytonDeusBlack Seventh Year

Oh My God!

As a lover of manipulative!Dumbledore fics, I shouln't have missed that point but I can't believe I did. *hits myself with a brick*

15. Devil Incarnate

Was Salazar Slytherin truly evil or was he misunderstood like most geniuses who are not afraid to bend or break a few rules?

What do you guys think? I'm more for the latter.

16. Midknight

I think her in canon world, he'd truly be evil, JKR doesn't have enough sense anymore to go back and make the guy just a strong wizard who wouldn't take any shit.

To me, he'd just be someone who fought back against the muggles and rose above their stupidity.

17. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

History gets distorted, and after a millenium, I'm sure that they can't provide an accurate decription of what actually happened with Slytherin and the other Founders.

18. Midknight

Aye and one of the famous quote I'm using is "History is written by the winners" or (something similar)

I've been debating make it something as simple as Slytherin defended his castle against invading muggles, had to resort to using magic in front of them, killed assloads of them, and then rumors spread he was an evil sick twisted fuck.

19. Devil Incarnate

Very well, thank you for your opinions.

I think I know why people make Harry grieve so much about Sirius. Harry only talked to the man an equivalent of 4-5 pages in the books after meeting him. Harry loved him as family and all but the idea of Sirius giving him a loving home away from the Dursleys was much stronger reason to be sad about his passing. So Harry loved what Sirius was going to give him more than Sirius himself.

And that's why those H/G, grieving over Sirius cliche authors write the same thing over and over again.

20. Silent

Silent Kinky Wench

Yes, but the average teenage guy is going to pretend he isn't grieving and just stuff the emotion somewhere out of the way - it's human nature.
    However, most authors aren't related to several psychologists/psychiatrists.