1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Introduction to Tabletop RPGs

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Thaumologist, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I play a bunch of tabletop RPGs, all of them with the same gaming group, although we have switched around GMs a few times.

The problem is that we've all only really played inside the group. So if we misunderstand the rules, we don't figure it out.

A (simplified) example:
    In Exalted (2e) you roll Dex+Melee to hit, and you have to overcome the opponents DV (calculated from their Dex+Dodge or Parry). If you manage to beat the DV, you hit them.
    Then you roll damage, then they take damage.

We always played as:
    1 - beat DV.
    2 - discard extra dice.
    3 - roll Strength + Melee for damage.

After we went through an online tutorial with a new player, we actually found you're supposed to:
    1 - beat DV.
    2 - add (strength) dice, then roll this new pool for damage.

Now, I'm sure there's other things we've cocked up, as we also do D&D, DFRPG, WFRP, a bunch of stuff from tg (Car Lesbians was a drunken decision, but was quite fun. Dungeons the Dragoning was too complicated for an online rulebook), and a few homebrew games (we probably do them correctly, though).

So are there any websites/youtube channels people know of that do beginner level walkthroughs for stuff? I'd prefer from CharGen until the end of session 1, but anything would work.

Also, RPG general, I guess?

2. redlibertyx

redlibertyx Professor

My friend and some of his friends run a Pathfinder channel that's pretty good—though I'd understand if it wasn't everyone's cup of tea. It covers both how to play Pathfinder (chargen, etc.) as well as videos of them playing.

I'm also not sure how much it matters to get everything "right" in a system. If it works how you guys have been doing then stick with it. Strict adherence to a tabletop system can lead to some stuff that I'm not a fan of (in particular munchkin-ing).

3. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Cheers!

And yeah, once we found out we were doing combat wrong, we could suddenly see why power combat was an issue with Exalted. Partly why we ended up switching systems.