1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Iron Man 3 Review - SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Starwind, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

No, but it's a nice addition to the two of them driving off at the end of Avengers. This version of the Hulk seems to be going in a different direction to the usual loner shtick.

2. logiccosmic

logiccosmic DA Member

Just saw it.

Pretty enjoyable.

What broke my SOD (finally) was people melting freaking metal. In short sleeves. Or 4 inches from RDJ's face. Fuckin' Convection, how does it work?

Way too many suits. It was good for moment, than it was crap when they became little more than guided missiles.

7/10, C. Needs improvement.

Also, I hope we get more Wand and Shield from the idea boost to Roarian.

3. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Saw this last night and I loved it. Great action, very funny and The Mandarin was awesome. Like I said earlier since I read the comics multiple suits and the scene with all of them together didn't bother me at all. In the comics he had last I remember something like thirty different suits to cover pretty much every possible situation. He has piles of suits with multiple variations on each designed to deal with every environmental condition, one for extreme cold, one for extreme heat, one for radiation, one designed just to take care of bodily needs if he gets stranded somewhere, one designed for high gravity areas etc. etc. etc. Tony also has multiple suits designed for just various places he could use them in like multiple space armors, multiple underwater armors and such. He has multiple suits designed just to fight specific individual opponents like his Hulkbuster, Thorbuster, Phoenixbuster and so on. He's got stealth armors, shape shifting armors, suits just to fight nano bot clouds and so on.

What they put in the movie was only a fraction of what he has in the comics.

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

If I go see this is there something to watch after the credits this time? I remember waiting once expecting it and it wasn't there.

5. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Yes, but boy were those some long credits.

6. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

:raises eyebrows:

:whistles:

7. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
  8. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Saw it Wednesday with a few friends and we had all a great time in the cinema. Laughed a lot and it was certainly enjoyable. Think I liked the suit action, where Tony changed from suit to suit the most, if only because the whole summoning the suit thing reminded me so much of Gizmo-Duck from Duck Tales/Darkwing Duck (although, I know he was inspired by Iron Man, but that is where I saw it first).

That said, I think this is a movie, which I will like less, the more I think about it.

Just a lot details that piled up to be disturbing. When I saw the snippet/picture that Pepper was wearing a suit, I was pretty psyched to see her fight in it. I imagined that Tony was in danger and she gets one of his suits and since Tony trusts her the most, naturally she is the one other person who is allowed within the suits. Instead, Pepper had it for like thirty seconds because Tony gave it to her to protect her from gravel.

Overall, Pepper was a damsel for a pretty long time. Was also disappointed that she won't keep her super powers, since she was pretty badass with them.

Mandarin reveal was hilarious but I have to admit, as someone who doesn't know the comics/cartoon series, the true villain just doesn't measure up. What was his goal, exactly? Why was he so pissed at Tony? Because he once waited for an hour or so for Tony? Really? Having ones time wasted for one-two hours is not really good cause to swear vengeance and become a supervillain with some weird global scheme.

Not sure his plan of disguising the accidents as terrorist acts as all that smart either, since he made himself and his firm into super-targets.

He is just utterly forgettable afterwards, completely overshadowed by the "mandarin". Couldn't even tell you his name, now.

The boy was awesome though, as was the bodyguard. Robert Downey Jr. was, as always, incredibly entertaining and even Warmachine was rather enjoyable this time around.

So, would give it a 7/10. It was definitely a good choice too see it in theaters although, i could have done without the 3D, unfortunately, it is almost impossible to find an english screening of such a movie in 2D if it has a 3D version available.

9. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I really enjoyed this movie, despite the rather silly unrealistic Extremis plot. More Stark snark than action and that's exactly what I've come to expect from Iron Man.

Best bit in the whole movie? Tony's interactions with the kid in Tennessee.

_____
    Boy: (something along the lines of 'my dad left. That was six years ago.')

Pause.

Tony: "Dads leave. No need to be a pussy about it."

10. draconian139

draconian139 DA Member

Saw it tonight and liked it for the most part. Unlike a lot of people I had no issue with there being a ton of suits, what I did have an issue with were the tactics used by Jarvis and Tony at the end. Even when Tony had the suit and had an opportunity to take to the air he was still engaging in hand to hand combat instead of flying above him and using any of his actual weapons at range. I know someone mentioned that it was a prototype but at the very least we saw that it had palm blasters.

I did like how it showed Tony having anxiety issues due to what he saw in Avengers, felt that was definitely a nice touch. Between the connection to the other Marvel movies and the humor I'd still recommend it.

11. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Yeah, the lack of any of his usual weapons was kind of disappointing, as was the fact that they pulled the "running out of power" thing way too many times. What I didn't understand about that was how he could run out of power and still be alive, because I thought the suit ran off the arc reactor in his chest? In fact, he pretty much says that it does exactly to the boy when he was fixing his suit.

But I mostly enjoyed the movie despite the fact that it cheapened the Iron Man suit quite a bit.

One question: I missed a line in the fight with the Extremis chick who ends up in the power lines. She says something to Tony, who replies with something like "That could be the title of my autobiography." Anyone remember what it was she said?

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  12. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

That's all you've got? A cheap trick and a cheesy one liner?

13. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

From what I could pick up he was planning to control the war on terror from both sides to get rich or something. I don't really think he was pissed at Tony at all. Tony was simply the only one smart enough to perfect the Extremis.

That's exactly what I was thinking. What was he doing? Also the entire movie is based on him using an unfinished suit until the very end. He has 40 suits in the house. Why didn't he just go grab one of them once he saw the prototype wasn't cutting it? Or why didn't he call a finished suit earlier if he could have done so?

14. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

I thought they were all prototypes? His main Suit(s) blew up in the attack.

Also: HULKBUSTER!

15. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

They were. I assume that Tony was making them from cheap materials just to test his designs. And since he wasn't readying them for a war, but various other tasks, they didn't have too many weapons.

Anyway, the movie was good. Better than the second, worse than the first.

Some thoughts:

- I thought Tony will get Extremis. Maybe they are leaving it for later.

- The Iron Legion was great.

- I liked that it was Pepper who defeated the bad guy.

- I'm still unsure about Mandarin. On the one hand he would be a great true villain and it's a little waste to make him just an actor, but on the other hand it was a clever and funny plot twist.

- The kid's part of the story was surprisingly good.

16. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

So, saw the movie last afternoon, dug the hell out of it. For me, it's roughly on par with the first Iron Man movie. Thought the Mandarin reveal was goddamn inspired and an excellent thematic payoff for the trilogy.

Also, Shane Black may have brought into the theaters the most vehement political polemic against the military-industrial complex in a very long time. Definitely appreciated, as I wrote in my review here, and I think it's very solid thematic pay-off.

17. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Saw it about 24 hrs ago now, liked it all, beats 2 mostly, but super pepper is ...sorta alright and I hated the kid.

18. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

If you take the film without any context it was entertaining. But if you look at the context it plays in I can only see this film like the failed X-Men 3. They ruined a major character of the Ironman lore for a cheap gimmick? Well, it probably generated a few laughs in the cinema but if somebody did the same with The Joker a lynch mob would visit the studio with forks. The suprise(s) with the new suit worked for me though but the film somehow lacked the tinkering I would expect in an Ironman film.

The motivation of Aldrich Killian to mess with Stark and Pepper was far fetched to me. Was there any real point in Maya Hansen in the film? It ruined the potential of A.I.M. because in the comic lore there is far more depth there and it would have made a more interesting plot to see some deeper conspiracy.

Some humor was misplaced like with the kid or the 2 thugs in the cellar. Then the end hurts at least my Avengers 2 expectation. I assume the problems of this uneven film are more related to the script than the director.

19. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Except Shane Black at the very least co-wrote in addition to directing...

I thoroughly enjoyed it. The plot twist with the Mandarin...well, I can understand why fans are raging, and in all honesty if I'd had any exposure to Iron Man outside the MCU maybe I'd feel the same, but I thought it was really well played, and a very neat way of getting around the unfortunate implications of the character. Also, it sounds like this might be the last solo Iron Man film, and I'm not sure Downey's committed even to any future Avengers films; I think the studio wanted to tie the story up satisfactorily while leaving an ending ambiguous enough to bring it back if they can. On that score, I think it's a complete success.

It wasn't perfect. The various Extremis manifestations are very 'as the plot/coolness' demands in terms of powers, the focus on the Mandarin does undermine Killian as the real villain - there was potential there, especially thematically, as Silens points out, but in the end it felt like he essentially boiled down to just another, fairly uninspired corrupt businessman. The middle section, with Tony as The Mechanic, was perhaps a little overlong, although it did a cracking job of showing you how badass he can be even without the suit, as did his assault on the mansion. Pepper got to do more, but it all felt a little rushed on that side of things. Hey, she's got the suit! Now she hasn't...now she's got Extremis! And she's awesome with it! But now she might not have it...

But yeah, overall it was good, and a very satisfying conclusion to the trilogy.

20. R. Daneel Olivaw

R. Daneel Olivaw Groundskeeper

IM3 was about midway between the original and IM2.

I agree with the AIM Extremis power being overpowered, especially given the appearance of multiple suits to take them on-- flying rocket shooting suits should have wiped the floor with the AIM guys. They should only have been an issue when in h2h range.

On the other hand, this story gave Tony Stark more of a chance to shine than in IM2.