1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Is Brandon Sanderson the best fantasy writer of our time?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JamesGordan, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Definitely check out Memory, Sorrow and Thorn if you get a chance. Book 1 is a slow roll to begin with but when it picks up it picks up.

2. Alexx of Arabia

Alexx of Arabia Streetshitter

Brandon is the best. He is unparalleled in world building, magic systems, plotting and has the best endings in all of fantasy. The Sanderson Avalanche has had me up at 4 am when I have to get up at 8 am because i have to finish the damn book.

3. fire

fire Order Member

As others have already mentioned, Sanderson's strengths and weaknesses are clear - he has brilliant worldbuilding, but is subpar at characterization (let alone romance). As a result, his stuff just doesn't measure up (to me) compared to the works of the other big names in modern fantasy - GRRM, Joe Abercrombie, Pat Rothfuss, Scott Lynch, Dan Abraham etc.

Hell, give me some of Garth Nix's children books any day of the week.

4. Alexx of Arabia

Just out of curiosity, What do you think of the fact Sanderson actually finishes his books unlike GRRM, Rothfuss, Lynch?

5. Alexx of Arabia

I started Black Company I don't know it all seems so mysterious. And I remember The blade itself being weak. Stormfront is regarded as one of the worst Dresden book?

6. Alexx of Arabia

Maybe try Words of Radiance or something shorter like Mistborn or Elantris? As to Malazan, Gardens of the Moon is not representative of the series as a whole.
    Deadhouse Gates is great and Memories of Ice is fantastic. The series really peaks around the mid-point. If you are going to give Malazan a fair test run, you really need to probably read through MoI.

7. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

I've just done the audiobook books of the mistborn trilogy and I did enjoy listening to them whilst prepping alone in the kitchen at work, but I really think I'd struggle to get through reading them from the page.

8. fire

fire Order Member

I mean, it's good, clearly, and a trait you want from an author whose works you enjoy - though that's just it; it doesn't mean much to a non-fan who doesn't like their stuff anyway.