1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Is Harry Potter addictive?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pikachu, Jun 17, 2023.

1. Pikachu

Pikachu Banned

I have been reading dlp library fics for about 3 months now and I am completely addicted. I can't stop reading fanfics one after another. It actually feels like I have been living in the Potter world than the real world. I actually think I know every inch of Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, know every part of Daphne Fleur Hermione Tonks Luna Susan etc intimately. I actually started thinking I'm Harry Potter himself. Is it just me or is Harry Potter ridiculously addictive?

2. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

its ok you'll run out of good fics in another 6 months.
    The structure of the "school story" combined with the fantasye elements is quite pleasing. I suppose thats why it sold so much and generated so much fanfic.

3. Harpo the Fool

Harpo the Fool Fifth Year

I don't personally find fanfic addictive, but there was an interesting youtube video about someone saying that it is a common pattern, that fortunately self-resolves after you've run out of good fics to read. It was interesting and worth watching. I'll try to find the link later. I got it from reddit, but I can't look there now because I have reddit blocked until I have some time to collect my old posts and PM's from there before deleting my account.

4. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Yeah, I was pretty addicted to the HP world when I discovered Fanfic for the first time. Found DLP, and like you ended up devouring the library. Discovered the Denarian Series which opened me up to a whole new fandom. Man, it was fun.

aww @Pikachu got banned? Lol, what a shame. He livened up the place for awhile.

5. Harpo the Fool

Didn't realize the mods were that active here. Oh well, yeah, this site is so dead that it was good to have someone posting actively.

6. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

Yeah ever since we moved to discord things on the forums have gotten... quite quieter.

7. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    He'll be back sooner or later, I imagine (he was pretty clearly a former user called Alexx - got banned originally for plagiarism in WbA, from what I remember, and keeps coming back under different names)

8. firewhiskeydrunk

firewhiskeydrunk Second Year

That makes more sense. It would be pretty weird banning someone solely for driving up engagement.

9. Slayer Singh

Slayer Singh First Year

Please don't say that. He'll just start a new thread on all the cliches, including but not limited to Ron being a terrible friend, Dumbledore being incompetent, Voldemort being incompetent, etc.

(I leave it to your imagination on how he managed to consider both Dumbledore and Voldemort incompetent - that makes them competent with respect to each other, and in the Harry Potter world.)

10. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

An escape from reality being addictive?
    Perish the thought.

Oh, hey! This survey says a third of the respondents read fan fiction every day...

11. Harpo the Fool

I haven't read any fanfic in the past few weeks, since quitting reddit because of the drama there. I saw getting most of my recs from r/hpfanfiction. Anyway, a temporary break is a good thing.

12. FutureTrunks

FutureTrunks Squib

High Score:
    100% when I’m reading fanfic it’s all consuming, reading it whenever I have a spare 5 secs, daydreaming about the HPworld/ telling myself a story in it.

it’s so easy to read because it’s at an easy reading level and is very accessible (It’s on your phone and can be read anywhere) and it’s easy to jump into to read for just 5 mins as the worlds already familiar and one doesn’t re familiarise onesself with the characters.

13. Harpo the Fool

Yeah when I said I haven't read any in a few weeks, I entirely forgot that there is a WIP that I've been following (New Blood) that updates twice a week, so there was just an installment on Friday. I usually read them the same day they come out. The story is agonizingly slow paced and verbosely written, but it has some cool ideas.

14. Harpo the Fool

Ok, with some effort I found that video I mentioned further up. It's been a while since I watched it (might watch again tomorrow) but I remember it was interesting, and made the same point as you about fanfic being easy to read:

It is 13 minutes long. The author also made another video about "why HP fanfiction is the best".

15. Harpo the Fool