1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Is Harry Potter Classic Literature?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rayndeon, Feb 13, 2020.

?

Is Harry Potter Classic Literature?

1. Yes, and it should be considered as such.

19.6%
  2. Yes, but it shouldn't be considered as such.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, but it will be considered so in the future as it should be.

48.6%
  4. No, but it will be considered so in the future though it shouldn't be.

7.5%
  5. No, and it won't be considered so in the future though it should be.

0.9%
  6. No, and it won't be considered so in the future as it shouldn't be.

21.5%
  7. Other (explain in thread)

1.9%
  1. yargle

yargle Professor

Classics are those which survive the test of time. I'd say it is too early to tell, but I wouldn't be surprised.

2. aspiring_failure

aspiring_failure Banned

Well, the Iliad and the Odyssey are by leaps and bounds ahead of the Harry Potter series in terms of writing. They also tackle a lot of very deep issues about humanity which is a bit lost now because we are so far removed from the type of society from which those poems were born.

My main point is, Harry Potter does not tackle any really deep human issues, does not have great characters and is not really groundbreaking in any way. But perhaps this is me being very selective on what constitutes great literature as there are classics that I don't really find that good...

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

This tends to be how I think of ‘Classics’ and I answered with this in mind.

This may be a flawed definition.

Regardless HP may echo to future generations. The first book came out over twenty years ago. Parents who read it as children are sharing it with their own children. It remains a popular Halloween costume. There are amusement parks.

Those things don’t make it Classic literature but I do think it means that they might still be common reads once everyone alive for the release is dead - that’s how I think of Classics. They get passed down for whatever reason, good writing and deep themes or not.

Everyone who read Frankenstein when it came out is dead. I personally thought it was a shit book when I read it ages ago, but even if I never read it I’d still know the basics. It’s become MORE than a book generations after its author is dead. It’s a Classic.

I honestly think it might have helped if JKR had left well enough alone with a lot of the extras she’s added since. It starts to feel so cluttered and like there’s no end to it, instead of being something that stands on its own.

Anyway. That might be objectively wrong about what defines a Classic, but it’s the only definition I feel able to weigh in with for such a recent publication.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  4. VitaminAgua

VitaminAgua Squib

I think there's a distinction between classics that are "well crafted" and classics that are "significant" (as in, very popular or had significant cultural impact).

Frankenstein (which was just mentioned haha) springs to mind as story which, to be honest, is not a very compelling read. But its cultural impact is extremely apparent, and you can't really talk about (English) horror without the story. I think a lot of Dickens falls into this category as well (not "amazing" books in a vacuum, but extremely culturally important and had a huge legacy).

I think Harry Potter is like this. Let's be honest - it's no "To Kill a Mockingbird". But that doesn't mean it won't have a significant cultural legacy. And that honestly depends. If my grandkids in 40+ years are reading it in school, it's passed the test of time. But we honestly can't tell at this time.

5. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    As far as I know there's no governing body who decides whether or not a story is worthy of the title of classic, it's more up to the forum of public opinion. That being said, I don't think that HP is any less deserving of the title than a series like LOTR, which I found to be quite over written - although I suppose it makes sense that classics become less accessible as time marches on.

I think that in the future HP will be spoken of in the same breath as book series like The Chronicles of Narnia and Mary Poppins - Children's classics in other words. It's too successful for it to fade into obscurity over the next few hundred years.

6. VitaminAgua

VitaminAgua Squib

The Chronicles of Narnia is a good comparison actually - definitely on everyone's periphery, tons of younger kids read it in school/at home, analyzed a bit for themes, but still considered for children.

7. M.L.

M.L. Groundskeeper

I mean, at the same time it’s not as though their is a dearth of material from the 1930’s, and yet The Great Gatsby is a classic, or even from Shakespearean times, where his works are classics because they stand head and shoulders above his contemporaries.

8. Hakairyu

Hakairyu Seventh Year

This misunderstands why we have little material from those ages. They aren't classics because they were the only stories around, they're the only stories we know about because they were considered classics and people cared to preserve them. Same reason people think the 80s had better music, people only remember the good ones.

On that note, I don't think there are any real criteria for being a classic besides being considered worth remembering and reading, and it's possible HP will, but it remains to be seen. I'm not sure the latter half in particular would pass an arbitrary quality check either, but that's meaningless.

9. Azialady

Azialady Squib

Gradually it becomes a classic