1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Is Hermione glorified in the books?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Magnum, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

For me, the biggest disappointment about Hermione is how she should have been the one to leave Harry and Ron in DH.

It would have taken all her flaws to a natural breaking point. Perhaps she thinks they are too slow, and with the locket in her ear, makes her feel like she is better than them. She bears about the Muggleborns getting killed/taken and suddenly has to act.

It would have made Ron a star too. Increased his character by having Ron take charge.

The whole book would have worked better with Hermione finding the sword and trying to get it due to her guilt and having Ron save her (or vice versa).

2. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @Lindsey
    If Hermione walk out on Harry, will Ron not follow her ? or Hermione aim to take the Locket as well, finally taking charge and doing things her own way ?
    Basically resulting in Harry left out ?

Which can be an interesting premise to an AU.

3. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Why would he? Harry's his best friend, and he didn't just call Ron (as well as said best friend) useless and storm off in a huff.

It's not impossible for Ron to go with her, especially if she made a concerted effort to convince him to, but it's not exactly likely. Not to mention that the whole premise here is that Hermione doesn't want either of them to come with her and cramp her style.

4. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I mean if you want to know what would happen, Hermione would have been seen as making the right decision by running out on them, and there would be ten million fanfics where Harry and Ron apologize for being angry because she went and got the sword for them, not a selfish move at all.

5. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I mean this is all hypothesis. This entire thread is looking into something that isn't factually backed up by canon. You can list all the things you want.

And you can use the movies for reference, but the OP is literally informed by fanon. Don't humor stupidity.

Bashing in HP has never and will never make sense. It serves as a tool for fanfic writers to setup their AU in which Harry is friendless and alone.

Its about as bad as those stories with Pureblood!Harry telling Hermione not to raise her hand in class because teachers will call on who they want to call on and don't care that she knows the answer.

That's the worst kind of bullshit I've ever read in my entire life. Engagement =/= Wrong.

Now, I have literally zero experience with Brit primary school, but I think any teacher would love to have that kind of engagement from their students.

6. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, in my experience about the only time a teacher might do something like objecting to a student engaging is if they're the only one in the classroom actually doing so and utterly dominating the conversation. And even that's not the teacher objecting to that student's engagement so much as lamenting the fact that they're the only one involved and trying to get other students to participate.

7. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hogwarts has the poisonos element of house points if you know the answer.

Maybe it is related to Hermione answers as well, text book quoting instead of answering in her own words.
    Lording over others her ability to memorize libraries ? or maybe it is her tone giving impression of a snob ? or someone who is better/superior.
    Hermione is social blind (at least in the first 3 books before she became dating guru).

8. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Entirely irrelevant, because this is an AU element. If the author says this is so, then that's what it is. For curiosity's sake, I looked up the history of classroom participation. From a German book from 1880, translated (relevant insofar as after the school reform, the German education system the leading one and copied elswhere):

It goes on to say;
    So there's that. No, funnily enough, "not raising hands" is apparently very progressive. With much the same reasoning as used in some of those stories:

As for the OP -- like I said, the books often enough show quite undesirable sides of Hermione, no bashing necessary. Just, instead of having her called out for that, I'd much prefer if she could be a likeable person in the first place?

9. Magnum

Magnum Banned

You know, you're probably right. I really have read too many fics that absolutely glorify Hermione and thats colored my perception.

10. RabidAsparagus

RabidAsparagus Fifth Year

What? I went to a British primary school with house points and they really don't make much difference at all.

11. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Are you.. are you a wizard?

12. RabidAsparagus

RabidAsparagus Fifth Year

Transfigured goat. Pretty sure I'm going to be the next Prime Minister.

13. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    In fairness I was once told to stop putting my hand up in class, but it only really ever happens when you try to answer every question. But Snape ignoring her on her first day was a very unique approach to teaching.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was Hermione being accredited as the greatest witch of her age not one of Hagrid's lines? And did he not just say it to make her feel better? Sufficed to say that I don't put much weight on that quote.

14. James

James Unspeakable

15. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    I stand corrected. It must have been in the movies or something. Regardless it's still only a compliment from a teacher to a favourite student.

16. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You're thinking about the Chamber of Secrets movie when Malfoy call Hermione a Mudblood and Ron is puking slugs in Hagrid's hut. He says something along the lines "There isn't a spell they've made that our Hermione can't do."

17. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Though considering he said that as part of a refutation of the whole Pureblood philosophy, I'm inclined to think he was probably exaggerating a bit to build her spirits up. As I recall the full line was something like. "Some wizards think they're better because they're what everyone calls 'pure blood.' Codwallop. There isn't a spell they've made that our Hermione can't do."

18. vshl.prshd

vshl.prshd Squib

In the films yes. As for the books I never really noticed it other than in the HBP. She was insufferable in that book and I don't think she got her deserved comeuppance.