1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Is Ron an asshole?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jenko, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Zoroconite

Zoroconite Squib

It's shitpost-ception.

2. GirlUniverse

GirlUniverse Disappeared

High Score:
    bolls to all who suck ron's cock and insist he isn't an asshole

3. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ron's favorite part of Ron is his asshole. It's why he eats so much, so he can go be alone and enjoy the sensation of pooping. I bet he can't get it hard without a magical prostate tickle.

4. torrent56

torrent56 Second Year

High Score:
    Look some haters who lost the argument because they didn’t bother to read the books are now resorting to ad hominem attacks (and not just in this thread but outside it as well) or are just saying “Ron is an asshole” with nothing whatsoever to back it up. It is hilarious although I guess I am not really surprised anymore, sigh.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  5. froper98

froper98 Squib

High Score:
    In the books, Ron really is not that much of an asshole, probably the only really bad moment was the triwizard tournament and i only feel that Rowling should have made Harry a bit more moody towards Ron and less accepting. The other times external factors have come into play such as Dumbledore and the locket.

The movies made him worse than he is and fandom even more. He is probably the most relatable, which also makes him bad as people use books to escape reality.

In fandom people make Ron worse as they need a scapegoat to make Harry look amazing and it is simple as we want to see the hero be amazing and strong, ehich Ron does not overtly show.

I dieslike Ron purely because i feel that his character made Harry weaker with him holding back although that can be blamed on the dursleys.

6. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Tired: Hating Ron for reasons of films, fanon, or fantasy

Wired: Hating Ron because he's poor and a blood traitor. (9 out of 10 Slytherins HATE this!)

Inspired: Hating Ron because he cheers for the canons*, even when they're shit.

*Intended, mothafuckas.

7. cooladoola

cooladoola Second Year

High Score:
    It's always better to be an asshole than a pile of Suish antics Hermoine and Harry display in spades. I cannot stand characters who have little to no flaws, which is why I could never stomach Hermoine's bland character or Harry's silly hero-trope-rilled journey.

Ron is flawed. He is human. If he irks you, then you probably have very little patience with people in general. Franky, I am new to Harry Potter's fandom and had nary a clue that the only well-written character in the slew of generic protagonists was loathed with this much passion. Some of the presented reasons against him are downright nonsensical.

No offense to you, but I always find this comment to be 'that' comment that drives one's entire logic into the gutters of comical cliches that always concern, 'friendships' with fictional characters. It just exhibits your utter lack of maturity and inability to emotionally distance yourself from fiction to make a better judgment. I would suggest a bit of growth for your temperament.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  8. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Interesting. This comment is born of the same blind spot from which most hatred for the character of Ron is born: a misunderstanding of the character of Harry. For better or worse, Harry is often treated as a Gary Stu, but he is far from it.
    1. His hatred for Snape blinds him to the truth too often. While this fault may be attributed to (1) his scar hurting when he looked at Snape his first year (although it was Quirrell fault), and/or (2) Snape's treatment of him, Harry's propensity for snap judgments on people blinded him too often.
      .​
    2. That same propensity made Harry turn on Ron (not the other way around as is fanon) during the Tri-Wizard tournament as Harry was the first to get angry, the first to raise his voice, and the one who resorted to name-calling. The only thing Ron did in that exchange is disbelieve Harry the same day Harry told Ron when he would've done it. In fact, Ron while fighting with his own issues, was still even-keeled.
      .​
    3. Stubborn. As seen in both the first and second points, Harry is very stubborn. Not once did Harry apologize to Ron for yelling at him, calling him stupid, or otherwise. Moreover, when Ron came to make things right, Harry reacted "coldly" to him, even after he admitted Harry hadn't entered to tournament himself.
      .​
    4. Stubborn, moody, and an ass to his friends (part deux). Fifth year.
      .​
    5. These all repeat again in the tent scene during the Horcrux hunt. Harry, having lived with a Horcrux and also scene the power of a Horcrux in the Chamber of Secrets, completely ignores everything he learned, and instead reacts to Ron in sarcasm and anger. Moreover, when Hermione recognizes the problem, "Take off the locket, Ron . . . Please take it off. You wouldn't be talking like this if you hand't been wearing it all day"; the very next line is "'Yeah, he would,' said Harry, who did not want excuses made for Ron . . . " The next line explains he acted this way because his own fears were being expressed by Ron.
      .​
    6. Speaking of anger, Harry has enough anger to cast an unforgivable at Belletrix. Now, while that may be explained by her killing Sirius, it cannot explain his anger when casting the Cruciatus Curse in Ravenclaw's common room. And, that anger was an anger strong enough to want to hurt another person.
      .​
    7. General disrespect. Often, Harry shows a disrespect that is uncalled for. Nothing excuses his tearing apart Dumbledore's office. It was a moment of angsty teenage rage with little concern for anyone else but himself. The same is true at the beginning of the fifth year when he rips into Hermione and Ron, who were made to swear not to tell Harry anything through a letter (and frankly, it was good advice if seen in real-world circumstances).

I could go on, but I think you get the point. Harry is far from a Gary Stu. The problem is that while Ron's faults are right there in the open, Harry's are often hidden, only coming to the forefront at the worst of times. In short, you have two different character types:

Ron: what you see is what you get.

Harry: what you see is what you get at the moment.

9. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

When was this? I'm reading the scene just after it was announced and this is all I see.

"What d'you reckon?" Ron asked Harry. "Be cool to enter, wouldn't it? But I s'pose they might want someone older.... Dunno if we've learned enough...."

"I might go in for it, you know," Ron said sleepily through the darkness, "if Fred and George find out how to ... the tournament ... you never know do you?"

- Goblet of Fire, Chapter 12​

Or are you misconstruing that with his imagining winning the tournament and Cho's admiration?

Was is some time after?

10. cooladoola

cooladoola Second Year

High Score:
    I said "Sue-ISH." Didn't say that he was straight up a "Gary Stu." Although, his faults are few and far between and they don't integrate well into his demeanour (enough to make a stark difference) like they do with other characters. He's too straight-laced with hero syndrome for my liking, which is why I prefer Ron.

Also, I do not hate Harry. How did you assume that?

11. TheTycat

TheTycat Third Year

High Score:
    I think this is a result of this part later on:

Chapter 16.

After Harry's name came out of the Goblet, this line could easily come across as a subtle brag about how he entered his name without explicitly admitting to cheating. Harry doesn't necessarily mean he would cheat to enter since he's referring to students over 17 here, but the other characters aren't in his head. When Ron brings this up later, Harry doesn't refute Ron's misinterpretation, he says Ron's acting like an idiot, Ron responds with his own dig at Harry, and that's the end of their conversation pretty much.

I think it's also important to look at the part you quoted as it shows that Harry doesn't answer Ron's question of whether he wanted to enter. Everyone gets mad that no one believes Harry, but there's good reason for their disbelief. IIRC, Harry never denies wanting to enter before his name comes out. He says he didn't after the fact, but never voices a compelling argument for his case. He kinda just broods on it as Harry is wont to do.

12. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Even fanon does a shit job in the GOF scene. It's often Harry outraged that nobody believes him... before he's refuted anything.

"Congrats, Harry!"

"Y u say diz i didn't do it y nobody believe meh."

[Ron threatens to kill Hedwig, rape Hermione, and burn Harry's quidditch supplies in response]

"I'm going to the library now, where Hermione may or may not join me, so that Hermione/Ginny/Daphne/Fleur can tell me they believe me, and then they can teach me how to dance so that I can bashfully ask milady if she'd be allow me the honor of her company for the night when the Yule Ball is announced."

[Ron storms off in a huff to collect his stipend from Harry's vault]

13. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    And I didn't say you said that. Note the generalization "Harry is often treated as a Gary Stu."

Second, I said your take on Ron derives from the same place as those people who hate Ron, although in a different way. You both overlook Harry's faults in the text. For others, it gives them license to hate on Ron, for you, it gives you pause concerning the development of Harry as a character.

I'd also argue that Harry's faults aren't few and far in between. What we do have, however, is Harry's point of view, and seldom do we see our own faults as blatantly as we the faults of anyone else.

Yep, it was when he and Ron were arguing, four paragraphs before the end of chapter 17.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  14. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

Ah, it's still misconstrued. As Tycat pointed out, Harry meant that if he were eligible he'd have entered his name at night in case it rejected him.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  15. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    Yep. And, I think that was the whole point. Harry was saying when he'd do it, if he did it. Then, his name comes out, and Ron realizes they had a conversation about that very thing and puts two and two together, but gets five. While he's wrong, it's not that much of a leap of logic to believe he did do it, especially since, at the moment, no one (in general) is really thinking about someone dying in the tournament.

It's pretty much a typical young teenager argument.

16. torrent56

torrent56 Second Year

High Score:
    Ron's main role in the series is to provide Harry with the emotional support (comfort, a sense of fun, a loving family, etc.) he needs to get through his adventure (even if he did have some brilliant ideas at times, like suggesting Harry to use Felix Felicis to procure Slughorn's memory), just like Hermione's main role is to provide Harry with the brilliant plans and ideas and knowledge. I do not think one role is more important than the other because a person needs both to get through life.

Sadly the overwhelming majority of people who hate Ron (not dislike, hate) is because one of these two reasons which negates the possibility of a meaningful discussion and debate as can be seen by some of the posts on this thread.

*applause* This is one of the best comments I read on this thread so far.

Not to mention he refused to tell Ron what Dumbledore said after his name came out when Ron specifically asked. I think a big problem with Harry’s problem is he likes to brood and sulk instead of confronting the person who may have wronged him. A similar problem can be seen in OotP – if he was so angry with Dumbledore why didn’t he confront Dumbeldore and demand to know why he was kept in the dark?

Yep. A very good example would be when Ron left during the infinite camping trip and Harry did a spare a thought as to how his own provocative words goaded Ron into leaving. I think this is one of the main reasons why whenever Harry had a quarrel/fight with one of his friends most people in the fandom just takes Harry’s side and claim it is all the other person’s fault. This is just one of the many reasons I wish that we could get other characters’ POV at times as well.
    Otherwise you said everything I can think of about the Triwizard Tournament and I got nothing to add other than agree with what you said.

17. cooladoola

cooladoola Second Year

High Score:
    What I was trying to state is that Harry's faults are not glaring enough for me to consider him an average teenager. Faults are easy to see. One shouldn't have to find them like trying to locate a needle in a haystack. Not suggesting that that's how Harry's faults are in the books, but they aren't as blatant as they should be.

Order of the Phoenix is, perhaps, the only book where I found Harry to be decently written; a teenager that lashes out in anger and makes the wrong choices.

18. AmerigoCorleone

AmerigoCorleone Seventh Year

Book Quotes:

1. Harry had already attempted a few of the Prince’s self-invented
    spells. There had been a hex that caused toenails to grow alarm-
    ingly fast (he had tried this on Crabbe in the corridor, with very en-
    tertaining results); a jinx that glued the tongue to the roof of the
    mouth (which he had twice used, to general applause, on an un-
    suspecting Argus Filch);

2. “Women!” he muttered angrily, sloshing down the rain-washed street with his hands in his pockets. “What did she want to talk about Cedric for anyway? Why does she always want to drag up a subject
    that makes her act like a human hosepipe?”

3.“I think it was a brilliant idea,” said Harry coldly. Cho flushed and her eyes grew brighter.
    “Oh yes, I forgot — of course, if it was darling Hermione’s idea —”
    “Don’t start crying again,” said Harry warningly.

4.“I didn’t want anyone to talk to me,” said Harry, who was feeling more and more nettled. “Well, that was a bit stupid of you,” said Ginny angrily, “seeing as you don’t know anyone but me who’s been possessed by You-Know-Who, and I can tell you how it feels.” Harry remained quite still as the impact of these words hit him. Then he turned on the spot to face her. “I forgot,” he said. “Lucky you,” said Ginny coolly.

19. cooladoola

cooladoola Second Year

High Score:
    These are glaring faults?

20. AmerigoCorleone

AmerigoCorleone Seventh Year

He was bullying people in his sixth year at Hogwarts.

Yes, that's a glaring fault. Even Ron didn't do that.