1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

JKR and The Number 7

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Giovanni, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

7 Books, one for each year
    7 Horcrux's
    7 Weasley Children
    7 Things guarding the Sorceror's Stone (#1 Fluffy, #2 Devils Snare, #3 Keys, #4 Chess, #5 Troll, #6 Potions Puzzle, #7 Mirror)
    7 Players on a quidditch team
    7 Classes Harry takes in his first year (according to HP Lexicon)
    7 Semi-Involved Characters who are ghosts (HP Lexicon)
    7 Forms of Wizarding Transportation Mentioned in Canon (Brooms, Vanishing Cabinets, Portkey, Apparation, Hogwarts Express, Enchanted Cars/Buses, Floo Powder)

And those are just the things I can think of off the top of my head... I am sure there are more.

Methinks JKR doth dote on 7 to much.

2. DGD

DGD Headmaster

Why don't you like the number seven? And yes, it does show up a lot

3. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I have no issue with the number 7... It's just it shows up so many damned times...

PICK A NEW NUMBER LADY!!!

4. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

I didn't even notice.

Eh. I don't care.

With all the other problems Book 6 had, this is like eating a meal of shit, and complaining that a fly landed on your food.

5. Blackstar

Blackstar Second Year

She better redeem herself and have harry kick some ass and no more of this taranteleggra and impedimenta bullshit

6. Nymph

Nymph Second Year

Meh... i haven't noticed that before and well I don't really care. But if you do think about it, 7 is the magic number and whats the whole series about? MAGIC!! So I guess it makes sense... I hope the 7th book won't be filled with total bullshit like the last.

7. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

It's long been a mystical/magical number for various reasons, google some up as I'm too lazy atm to do so.

She also has an unhealthy obsession with duality with nearly everything having a direct oppisite to it, or an exact mirror image just fighting on another side. I've covered this in a thread long gone, so I'll leave it to others to pull the links back out.

8. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Yes I am aware of the numbers significance, however she is over-doing it just a bit much.

9. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

7 is a lucky number

10. Hpsleuth11

Hpsleuth11 Guest

Yeah the duality and ying yang bullshit is getting annoying. Everytime theres some new bad guy theres gotta be some new good guy.

I think her greatest flaw (and she has alot) is that she has forgotten how to people think. She has forgotten that peoples emotions change as they grow. I believe she had the age/emotion thing down in the first three. She started losing it in the fourth but it was hardly noticable. And the new action made up for it.

Then came the fifth were harry became a whiny bitch, and although you have most adults say 'thats exactly how teenagers are at that age' thats bullshit. No one unless seriouslt disturbed or working for the disney channel acts that 'emo' for lack of a better term.

Just when you thought that was bad enough came the sixth book. Where one would think 'Oh shit Harry has discovered it's either kill or be killed I bet he is gonna start kicking ass and taking names'. No. Instead he does a complete emotional 360 and becomes Dumbledores bitch, and doesn't learn a thing in the process.

That lady need to stop watching the fucking disney channel and gets some real life experience on how teenagers act. Because that wholly emotional bullshit is just a stereotype.

Most of the time.

Oh and as for the number seven in her books, seven in almost every culture has a mythological or religous significance.

11. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Yup, she even took it to contrasting Harry's and Voldemort's wand.

12. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Harry/Voldemort - similar upbringings, both half blood, both orphans. One light, one dark. One weak, one nearly unstoppable. Both speak parsel, etc there's tons more

Ron/Draco - obvious, yet in many ways they're carbon copies, with slight differences.

13. Cervus

Cervus Raptured to Hell

Remus/Fenrir. Light and dark.
    Ginny/Kreature. obvious reasons.

14. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Kreature looks good while Ginny doesnt? :p

15. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Ok I wasn't gonna post this rant about JKR ruining Existentialist philosophy, but now I have to.

When in PS/SS JKR has Dumbledore lecture young Harry about choice she invokes an old existentialist arguement about choice... In fact she repeatedly for the first 4.75 books stays on the existentialist line of "mkae your own destiny, your choices make you." Only to throw a prophecy in the mix... Pre-destination anyone? More or less the complete opposite of what her earlier theme was. This profound mutilation of a beautiful philosophical principle pisses me off almost as badly as the fanfiction she called book 6.

Why must JKR turn deep meaningful philosophies into tripe?

16. Syn

Syn Fourth Year

because she's not as smart, or as good of a writer as she and all her fangirls think