1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

July Theme and Judge Sign Up

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Antivash, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

Petunia and Vernon Dursley come across a copy of My Immortal and convince Harry that this is an actual recording of his future, and they're just trying to protect him from it.

Resigned to his fate and due to his saving people thing, he goes to Hogwarts to save Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way from becoming a vampire. He knows that the only way he can save her is if he becomes a Satanist and he ends up going to Hogwarts looking like this:

[​IMG]

Much to everyone's horror, and his own confusion when he meets no such person as Ms. Way.

2. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

If he was reading a fic about Molly reading canon and it was canon compliant, he'd have to have gone through canon to be able to read that fic. Though canon finishes prior to him finding and reading this fic, fate will put the fic in Harry's hands a few months (or w/e) after canon finishes, thereby making it a part of the canon that Molly's reading in the fic that Harry's reading. In turn, that Harry, in the canon Molly's reading, will unknowingly come to read a fic in the events beyond the last page, in which Molly will find and read canon. That's recursion, but I'm putting the 'almost' there because it transcends the actual written canon, and you're having to bridge the divide between the story's ending and its continuation with conjecture.

If they were the wrong books, or different books, they'd surely still have to eventually lead to Harry reading that same series of wrong books. Even if not, surely they'd still have to in some way effect his actions, depending on what was in them, even if it was to do the opposite. Which would still qualify as almost recursion, I think. If the book he was reading had no relevance to the story being told, it would just be a fanfiction about Harry reading a book. That would literally be the entire plot.

Basically my whole lunchbreak wasted on a headache. Fuck it - what Rin said.

3. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've considered the recursion thing before. Something like

The Infinite Recursions of Reading The Books
    11 year old Harry reading Weasleys reading Marauders reading Future Generation reading some fanfiction

But my thought here was closer to Rin's, except with an original version of canon designed to screw with him (instead of the worst Fanfic ever written). So a fanfic wrapped in a fanfic.

4. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I would like to enter a story this month. Is there some voodoo that needs to be done to gain access to the submission thread? If so, I've a chicken here I can offer up to the cause. Thanks!

Edit: Mamy thanks to Vash for hooking me up. Rooster blood is a powerful thing.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  5. Perspicacity

High Score:
    Doublepost, but what the heck.

Out of curiosity, who else submitted or is submitting a story this month?

6. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

7. Perspicacity

High Score:
    Excellent! Best of luck.

8. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Behold! My Post of Attention Grabbing +2!

It is now 8PM CST. That means you have four hours. Get on it, gents. Everything is working.

9. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Four hours and from a number of threads in submission sub-forum I'm guessing that only Pers posted his entry. If Silens will not get his done in time then there is a quite big possibility that Pers will win by walkover. That would be an interesting situation for sure. ;)

10. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It would be an interesting scenario. I don't know the first thing about writing a political story proper, but with only a few hours left I might try and crank out some more of the concept I did have going a couple of weeks back.

Hopefully more users with show up at the final sprint- I'd hate to see another Humor-month number of entries.

11. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

As somebody mentioned a while ago, would it be possible for the August theme to be announced as soon as the submission forum closes? I'd have a better chance of putting something decent together with a full month than with three weeks.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  12. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    We still have about a little under an hour according to Vash's clock, right? Just submitted my concept.

13. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I never finished :( I'll probably just put in review when it is done.

14. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

So...August theme?

15. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

:eek:

I am disappoint. Better be posting it anyway.

16. Perspicacity

High Score:
    Bummer, Lord Anarchy.

It was a hard prompt this month, to be sure. My first couple ideas were way too long to be completed in a month--20k+ words for a monthly contest isn't practical for me. If I'm reading things right and there's really only one story submitted, the contest probably should be cancelled for the month since a victory by default is a crap way to win.

I'm looking forward to the August challenge.

17. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Heh. I had an idea I wanted to write, but July is exams month. That simply didn't work out. August is all free, and I'd love to write my story now ... what about having the same theme again, for August? :p

18. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

If someone can confirm my story got in, then Pers might have some competition (and considering I wrote like 21,000 words, I sincerely hope it did).

19. Perspicacity

High Score:
    Sweet! Impressive effort--mine's only about 3.5k words, much more limited in scope.

If I may be so bold, let me offer a premature congratulations, Silens.

20. knuckz

knuckz Seventh Year

I somehow write a fic for every contest and never finish in time. I had one for May, June, and July, and I haven't managed to finish a single one.

And yet, I get the feeling I'll end up writing something for August nonetheless.

Hopefully the next theme is cliché. I've always wanted to try my hand at Super Harry (though not seriously enough to make it a multi-chapter story).