1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Kick Starter Games you wanted to fund, but knew better.

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Cruentus, May 25, 2014.

1. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Have you run into any? For me it's this one...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tinkergames/pale-blue-monstrous-2d-side-scrolling-action-adven

The concept has so much going for it that after I got done geeking out and took a closer look I wanted to yank it away from them and give it to a really good game crew. At first it looks like they have everything under control, but once you look closer you realize their problems.

1. While I love the concepts of the villains they've come up with, we're still not given a good idea of who these characters are. We know where they come from, and in the professors case his motivations, but we don't really know them as characters, and when you check out the heroes you realize they started getting a bit lazy. anybody who looks at the hero designs can see that they're just rip offs of famous heroes, or hero teams. Now on one hand they may have done this to create an impact as you kill heroes you know and love. But most likely they got lazy, and if they are going for the former there is a good chance of backlash. I know I don't want to kill my childhood heroes. Other then that they don't have much story beyond the concept and ther heroes are just drawings at this point. Which is a shame since if anything sells this game it will have to be the story.

2. Game mechanics look weak. It's a basic 2d side scroller. The graphics seem a bit dated to me, and while the lighting and atmosphere is there for a dark game, it's a bit ruined by the fact that the powerful monster I'm supposed to be controlling, that can summon mouths bigger than your average human, only seems to hit enemies hard enough to throw them back and not even bleed before they go right back to shooting.

So basically good concept and potentially good villains. But the mechanics need a lot of work and they need to come up with some original heroes.

Alpha Man....I mean really? What about you? Any Kick Starters you wanted to fund, but knew better?

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I've only funded about three things on Kickstarter, but... I'm not sure I get the "know better" aspect of your post. If you donate and then the project doesn't go through, you don't lose any of your money. I don't think they even charge you unless they meet their goal yeah? So if I saw something I really liked (and wasn't completely broke at the time) I'd probably toss them a little cash.

So unless I'm missing something here there's not really any risk to funding something you genuinely like.

Unless you mean that you really liked the concept but decided that funding it wasn't worth it because you looked at it in enough detail to determine that the end result would fail to meet expectations. I can understand that -- you love the idea but don't trust them to implement it well even if they get the money. In that case your best bet is to just not fund it, as it'd end up being lose/lose.

But I don't think that's what you were asking.

Take the Ouya campaign, which is one of the most funded projects Kickstarter ever had. I recall seeing it back in the day and being initially interested (as you were initially interested in the 2D game above). But after reading about it more in-depth I determined that it wasn't for me -- I didn't think that they'd have the kinds of games for it that I like to play, so I didn't fund it.

3. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

This is what I meant, sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

4. coleam

coleam Death Eater

This is a perfect example. When I first heard about the Ouya, I thought it was going to be the most awesome thing ever. But then I looked at the specs and realized that they were just barely average (when it was announced - they were kinda shitty by the time it actually released). And then I saw how few games would be fully supported. And then I remembered that I rarely play mobile games anyway and it would just be a waste of money for me. So I didn't fund it.