1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Kinsfire, Dreadful, Poor, Acceptable and Myth.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Midknight, Feb 16, 2007.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Erm...k. I don't exactly look at thread authors, never have. Newbies find good shit to, Titles = Everything for me.

I agree with Ip's sentiments in that I like original shit, even if it's shit. I can gank, twist, or mutate the idea later on.

Also: Can we please not turn this into a mournful circle-jerk now that Ip says he wont be posting every fucking fic he finds now?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  2. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

People take everything I say way too serious :D. Oh well, I'll provide reviews and if anything drastic occurs, I'll post anything good I find.

3. Hobbes

Hobbes First Year

I find that alot of the stories that IP, recommends or comments on as being adequate, are stories that I like too. So, in most cases if IP reviews the story as being an interesting read, I read it because I trust his judement in Fanfiction as being similar to mine

4. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Hmm...it looks like anyone Bio teases, pokes fun at, harasses, suddenly stop doing exactly what the cause of aforementioned teasing, poking fun of, harassing was. Have you, Bio, acquired some kind of secret power, some strange ability to wield Jester Justice to send people in hiding and bring out drama junkies crying out at the inhumanity of it all? I simply can't explain it.

Quoted for emphasis. Review section has so far been free of the recent gender-inclusive visit by Flo and her dear friend Emo...it'd be nice to see them trawling elsewhere.

Quoted it because I don’t like hijacking…unless it’s hijacking movies, like Passenger 57, ahhh! The diverse old days when we had white terrorists in movies too.

5. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Lay off IP, at least he was trying to be helpful. After all, he's got to do something when he's not busy voting to fire me doesnt he :banana:

6. Spacks

Spacks Order Member DLP Supporter

+1 to sneak attack for Middy :D

7. BioPlague

[/cackle]

My stormtroopen will get you and your little dog too!

8. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

Yeah massive bump and all that.

Do we need this sticky anymore? We have too many stickies in the for review section.

9. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

The real question you should be asking is why no one throws out the Kinsfire rating for half of the shitty stories we see in review these days...

10. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

They correspond to the numerical ratings anyway - Kinsfire to 1, Myth to 5, etc. - so it’s pointless.

11. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not really. Bio's system is skewed towards stories being bad. Number 3 on the rating system is "average", not "poor", number 4 "good", not "acceptable".

But yeah, I think the thread should be kept, just so we can all know who to blame when people find decent or enjoyable fics but are too scared to post them in For Review.

/me cannot count the number of times that he's seen the phrase "Read this a while ago, thought about recommending it, but didn't because it might not have been to DLPs taste."

So what? If it's not to DLP's taste then DLP will rate it badly and no harm done. Just rec everything you think is even halfway decent and DLP will decide the rest.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  12. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Meh, this thread is a sort of DLP relic. It sums up our idealized version of our standards for fics, as well as introduces new members to Bio. Given that the post in question is essentially two nearly identical pictures, there's an extraodrinary amount of lulz.

13. BioPlague

Yes, lets keep it stickied so we know who to blame.

14. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    When I was new here, if I'd recced a story and it wasn't liked, it would have discouraged me from ever reccing again. People take things like that personally, despite the fact that there's no logical reason to.

15. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If you really are sitting there questioning the sanctity of your poop shoot, post it in the almost recommended fanfic thread. It's a much safer idea if you are a newbie.

For people who aren't newbies, though, Taure's got it down. If you see a story that has some sort of potential, throw it up so it can be dissected at DLP's leisure. It's much more enjoyable laughing at an awful story than staring at the same threads on the front screen for two days.

16. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

What if the five ratings were all authors?

Ruskbyte v1 (monumentally epic)
    jon3776 (competent, entertaining, ambitious in scope)
    Ruskbyte v2 (mediocre Ruskbyte on his off-days)
    Kinsfire (literate but still unreadable due to pedophilia, gay orgies, among other things)
    Tara, as in the author of My Immortal (illiterate and therefore unreadable)

You know what, I'm using this system henceforth.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  17. Portus

Portus Heir

I dunno who Tara is, and I've never read My Immortal, but I could make a case for ancientdragon14 aka tridentwatch as your uber-fail baseline definition of "0".

18. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Tara was the author of My Immortal. Widely regarded as the worst fanfiction ever. And indeed, if you typed "worst fanfiction ever" into the google search function, the first chapter of that story would immediately pop up.

And it had 10,000+ reviews. All hate reviews.

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/My_Immortal

19. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've decided to adopt Andro's method as my Sliding Scale of Fanfic Reviews, so I created a small image to help with it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  20. BioPlague

[​IMG]

Not open for further replies.