1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Last Chance, by Laume - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Banner, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Kinser

Kinser Fourth Year

Hum what can I say?

Well it is good to see a Dumbledore that isn't totally obsessed with "the greater good" for whatever that means. That line always disturbed me. The greater good? Good for whom exactly. Anyway I digress.

It is interesting to see a Tom Riddle who isn't a total prick. He does seem to be in character even if some of his dialog is a little mature for his age, although some children become more articulate than others. And if I were to ever write a Tom Riddle/Voldemort Centric fic I write it where he is an evil Genius, and not just an evil psychopath. I like Genius.

So far I give this story a 4.5/5. I think the progression is a little slow myself. But over all the writing style is good, and in my favorite format. (for those of you who like first person fics...sorry I hate those kind and refuse to read them reguardless how well written--I prefere third person points of view myself.)

As far as the author being a Xian. I was not put off by it...although I would prefer that the author's religion not come up at all unless its part of the story. I bring it up sometimes in my own because being a Pagan I do describe some actual pagan rituals (in their ancient forms especially) particularly around certain holidays when it is believed that magical properties are most fluid. The main thing an author should remember when dealing with such things as religion--despite the religion of the author--is to not make it into a preachy mess.

2. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

"The greater good" refers to the public in general, the opposite being the personal good.

Seriously?

Huh, I thought we killed you all.

3. Kinser

Kinser Fourth Year

I would say thats a matter of opinion. There are those who consider their personal good to be the greater good, the good of the public being the lesser good. There are also those who consider the good of their own insular as being greater than the good of the Public-At-Large.

Nope, we're still around. Although I would like to make clear that I'm a real Pagan, not one of those pussified vegan wannabes. Rather I subscribe to the old ways rather than the half-made up, half real shit that the wannabe's call Wicca these days.

4. Bratling

Bratling Professor

As I've mentioned before, I have a soft spot for Severitus-types, so I've read Laume's work before. And King, Laume is a she. :D Christianity never really blatantly rears its head in her stories, so no worries about that.

I've been enjoying this one, and based upon previous stories, I'm hoping that she'll stop Tom from ever becoming Voldemort. I'm waiting and seeing, but I'd give this a solid four at the moment based upon the fact that I really would rather read a Harry-centric story.

5. Sophie

Sophie Denarii Host

This is a "feel-good" story, in my opinion. The fact that it isn't about Harry doesn't bother me at all. There are plenty of good fics out there which don't center around him (please, don't ask me for a title, I have a horrible memory when it comes to remembering them).

The writing is excellent, there are no glaring grammar or spelling mistakes and the overall flow is good.

A 4.5/5 from me.