1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Let's shit on Hermione

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    DLP. Practically everything I’ve read on this site regarding him is positive. I like Ron.

2. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

I think she was more angry about how Ron was taking her for granted. She's been "one of the guys" by virtue of being the one girl in a three person group of friends, never really having girl friends as far as we can see, never really considering herself attractive due to her teeth and hair (can't remember if her teeth were fixed by this point). Then this mega-celebrity asks her on a date to the ball, which had to make her feel really special when out of all the beautiful girls who were tripping over themselves wanting him to ask them out.

Then Ron, after failing to ask anyone he actually wants to go to the ball with, goes "Oh right! Hermione, you're a girl. Go with one of us." He didn't want to go with her, he just didn't want to be embarrassed by going alone. Then, when she turns him down due to actually having a date with someone who appreciates her for her, Ron gets all pissy and jealous of how she didn't make herself available to him and starts making fun of her behind her back for just being embarrassed about not being asked, because of course nobody asked her to the ball.

Then it comes out that Krum was her date, and Ron gets incredibly jealous and basically ruins Hermione's night with all his sullen glares and snide comments.

In short, I think her comment had more to do with Ron being an asshole than him not asking her out first. No subtle hints involved.

3. Acquiescing Avian

Acquiescing Avian Second Year

Ron made one comment about Hermione lying, and didn't say a word when Ginny told him she wasn't. He also remarked how Hermione's teeth looked shorter and better, laughed with her and Harry when she dissed Malfoy and exchanged presents on Christmas

His final comment suggests that he doesn't care about his own date, or lack thereof, he doesn't want Harry to get embarrassed by being the only champion without a date.

His behaviour at the Yule Ball was shit, but he wasn't ridiculously rude or annoying before the Ball.

4. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

If you look at the Pottermore illustrations of her, she wasn't... Emma Watson. Years 1-3 she basically didn't care how she looked and didn't particularly think about it. She was 'one of the guys' in the sense that she didn't really care that she was a girl, and she only started to put together how this would hurt her in year 4, when she was hit with the tooth growing curse and Snape said she always looked like that. I thought it was actually a good character arc for her when she realized her friends did not really think of her as a girl, because they didn't; it wasn't just some poorly worded comment from Ron. She was insulted in the moment, but having Madam Pomfrey shrink her teeth down to be smaller than they were originally represented a start to her taking pride in her appearance. She decided she wanted to be seen as a girl, she wanted to be pretty, and there was nothing wrong with that.
    You're inarguably correct in this regard. Ron was being jealous and she had not done anything wrong by going out with someone who actually asked her. What everyone in this thread is doing is either shitposting or holding a teenage girl to an incredibly high standard of being perfectly sensitive to her friends' feelings and perfectly open and honest at all times. Basically, for the past twenty years, most fanfic authors have been prepubescent girls, who can't relate to Ron, and surprise fucking surprise they write stories where he's a useless sack of shit because Rowling didn't go anywhere with his character. DLP proceeds to have a thread where we just voluntarily interpret every decision she made as the morally wrong one, and then we have to totally ignore everything her friends did, because we can't let the bad guys, the prepubescent girls from 10-15 years ago, get away with doing the reverse.

5. Advice Needed

Advice Needed Banned

Well, this is the "Let's shit on Hermione" thread. Ron's gotten his fair share of hate over the years.

No one is ignoring what Ron and Harry did, it's been discussed since 2007. What we're talking about is that even in the books Hermione's actions never seem to have consequences. Book 3, 5 and 6 come to mind. Everything is either Ron's, Harry's or someone else's "fault", and on the rare occasion it is her fault, something else (*cough* plot *cough*) is shown to be at work (Book 3: The Firebolt and Scabbers). Ron and Harry act like jerks but the narrative shows them to be in the wrong; Hermione's shortcomings are treated as "that's just the way it is" or "girl power" or some such rot.

Also, there are still Ron-bashing fics posted and updated to this day. It might have started 10-15 years ago, but it didn't end there. Filter through AO3 and FFN.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  6. Selethe

Selethe normalphobe

Hermione stole Ron from Harry

7. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

In books 4 and 6, Hermione is rude to Fleur which I won't stand for.

Also Krum deserved better.

8. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm still super disappointed at the number of characters that joined in on the Fleur hate train.

9. AlexIY

AlexIY Banned

Hermione has no real flaws, which to me screams of a pseudo-mary sue. About the only thing that stops her from being a full-on mary-sue is that she is wholly unlikeable even to other book characters and she kind of sucks in Magical Combat. I disliked in general how Rowling had made her really knowledgeable on everything, like seriously, she knew what a Dark Mark was before Ron did and his family was in the order. Not to mention her endless repertoire of spells whereas we pretty much follow along with every spell Harry learns that isn't some flavour of the month jinx at Hogwarts that he could've easily picked up.

10. BeastBoy

BeastBoy Seventh Year

Kissing two guys = hogwars bicycle? I don't see this as a knock against Hermioine or Ginny

11. jitenshasan

jitenshasan Second Year

She stuffed another teen in a magical box and was ready to leave him there to die.

Once the victim is discovered, brain-damaged, does she express remorse or give the healers any explanation (even anonymously) about what exactly happened to him so that they could treat him more effectively? Nope.

12. Crowton

Crowton First Year

What is this referring to? It's been a while since I've read the books, so I forget a lot of things.

13. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It appears to be a reference to Fred and George pushing Montague into a Vanishing Cabinet. Not sure how this gets attributed to Hermione though.

14. jitenshasan

jitenshasan Second Year

Maybe somebody with the book on hand could check? Thinking on it it's probably the twins on their own Putting Montague in it.

But I do remember Hermione wondering if she should help Montague and deciding not to (meaning that she knew she she should do but still decided not to, at which point I was pretty disgusted with her)

15. Longsword

Longsword Banned

Montague would be in a hospital getting treated by actual healers.

16. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    She does know about Montague before he gets out on his own, and doesn't seem to let anyone know...but then so do Harry and Ron, so she's no worse than anyone else on that particular matter.

17. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Hermione told Fred and George that they would get into 'terrible trouble' for sealing Montague in the broken Vanishing Cabinet, then she suggested they tell Madam Pomfrey, but no one else cared.

18. TRH

TRH Groundskeeper

She and Ron were prefects, and they knew who was responsible for the mess, so they both shirked their duties in that instance.

19. MuggsieToll

MuggsieToll Seventh Year

I don't feel bad about what Hermione did to Montague through her inaction.

He was a jackbooted Magical Hitler Youth who knowingly worked for a woman who was torturing students. Montague deserved it. If anything, Hermione deserves praise for letting the cunt rot for a while.

20. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Hermione is just about the most consistent portrayal of a teenage girl as I've seen. She's inconsistent in her beliefs/morals, she's critical of other people's emotions taking control of them yet clearly lets hers drive her behavior, she's fanatical about a cause until she suddenly isn't anymore, and she's completely incapable of saying what she really means or thinks when doing so would solve virtually any and every problem. She's a perfect example of them.

Her only fault is existing in a book that's apparently being read by people that never knew any girls when they were teenagers, you fucking neckbeards.