1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Let's shit on Hermione

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Advice Needed

Advice Needed Banned

Book 5, pg 626-627 of the August 2003 edition

The twins stuffed Montague in the box. Also, if Hermione is held accountable, then Ron, the sixth-year, and the seventh-year Prefects should also be held accountable for the twins' actions.

No, the problem with Hermione is that she's a normal teenage girl in the books that is never held accountable nor does she take accountability for her mistakes. The movies and fanfics take this up to 11. She also gives off a strong "I'm not like other girls" vibe in almost every fic I read about her, which doesn't help the Mary-Sueness.

Normal teenage girls that have strong emotional relationships with other girls are held, at the very least, socially accountable when they mess up (not invited to sleepovers, parties, double dates, kept out of the loop with gossip, social isolation, etc) but because her friends are guys, she can pretty much do whatever because Ron and Harry rarely call her out on it, and if they do, well, they're just stupid boys, so she can ignore them back and still feel like she was the one wronged.

Also, again, this is the "let's shit on Hermione" thread. If you want to wank her, make your own thread or go on the Harmony discord/subreddit.

2. ashland

ashland Second Year

High Score:
    Speaking for the former teenage girl contingent, there are many of us who didn't fashion ourselves as authority figures over our friends and were socially ept enough not to tattle on them. And my smug/arrogant peers were typically the ones who provided the weed. So Hermione just failed all around there.

A lot of us, all identities included, were cunts in HS, some were just more tolerable than others. To me Hermione is far on the intolerable side.

If I'm remembering a JKR quote correctly, this is canon, though I don't think she saw it that way.

3. ruki88

ruki88 Squib

I am late to this delightful thread. I say delightful because I don't think I ever came across a thread talking about Hermione's not so stellar moments. Though this is a "shit post" so I don't know how much it counts.

I've read all comments and there are some with which I agree, but for me the thing that puts me off Hermione as a character is not something she did but rather something the author did. I really, really hate when characters are diminished in favor of others. The more we read the books the more it seems that Hermione ends up being the jack of all trades whereas Ron and Harry just....**shrugs**

I still think year 1 was the perfect balance of what Harry, Ron and Hermione had to offer, highlighted in the challenges they have to pass to get the Philosopher's Stone. But alas, that disappeared bit by bit and we get, more or less, "How do we do/find/get that thing? Let Herrmione do it".

4. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

The expensive, highly convenient, no sender, no signed note, Invisibility Cloak he got a couple years before worked out okay...

It turned out to be from no less a trusted entity than Dumbledore (because who doesn't always trust people who mysteriously borrowed life-saving stealth artifacts from their parents who were murdered in hiding), and Harry had also been gifted one of the best (thus, presumably, most expensive) brooms on the market that same year by another teacher.

By the time he received the Firebolt, Harry had more reasons to trust his shiny new gift than not.

I'll just take this moment to point out that it was Hermione, who had no reason to think she'd randomly receive letters from an entire "cluster" of owls at once, who essentially opened a mail bomb the next year.

And that was after already confirming that several letters in a row were unhinged hate mail for reportedly cheating on (or at least stringing along) the Wizarding World's on-again, off-again, hero. One letter even consisted of cut out newspaper words, like some psychotic ransom note, but what could magical people possibly stick in their hate mail that could do any harm? It's not like we haven't already seen mail do magical things... except for those Howlers.

Have I ever mentioned that Hermione is a total hypocrite?

5. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There's definitely hypocrisy in what you've outlined, but there's also a good dose of stupidity and ignorance. She completely failed at applying any critical thought, and also refused to properly discuss her concerns with her best friend. If she'd talked to Harry properly, he might have said something like "what do you mean? I got the nimbus pretty much just like this 2 years ago", and she'd have had a chance to understand his thought process. Instead she acted like he couldn't possibly have any reason to think or act like he did, and went over his head.

6. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

I'm not going to defend Hermione in this thread, as I don't have a death wish, but I don't think these two situations are analogous. At the beginning of first year, none of them was aware that Voldemort was still a danger. By third year, Harry had endured several murder attempts/life-threatening situations. Hermione explained her fears poorly, but he was a fucking idiot for not even being suspicious.

7. raobuntu

raobuntu Seventh Year

High Score:
    I think the worst thing Hermione truly ever did (through no fault of her own) was steal Ron's greatest moment in the books where he stands in between Harry and (who he thought at the time) a mass murderer on one leg telling him that "if you want to get Harry, you go through me". Movie Ron cowered in the corner with his rat. Fucked up shit yo

8. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

The books would be 100% better if she was killed by the troll. At least then we wouldn't have to care about her.

9. Sword_of_Dusk

Sword_of_Dusk Squib

I do agree with this, but I think it's only fair to point out that a lot of people would look to the arrival of the Nimbus 2000 in their first year and go, "Hey, another free broom. There was nothing wrong with the first one, so this one is probably fine. It's likely even from the same person."

I don't think that's an unreasonable train of thought, especially after the destruction of said Nimbus.

10. Advice Needed

Advice Needed Banned

Good idea. This is the "shit on Hermione" thread, not the "let's sing Hermione's praises to kingdom come" thread. Plenty of that on r/HPHarmony.

I want fics where Hermione's death in first year pulls Harry and Ron closer towards being OP wizards, and every now and then they can complisult her.

Did someone mention that a new broom would be an expensive way to kill someone in canon, or is fanon bleeding in?

11. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's a really good start to a powerful/competent Harry. Have them try to rescue Hermione but fail, she dies in front of them. This traumatises them of course, but they work through it by working to ensure they never fail someone like that again.

Reading about 12 year old kids dealing with PTSD isn't the most interesting thing ever, so probably start the fic later on and just show what happened by way of flash backs.

12. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

You all forgetting that as far as they were concerned Sirius Black was explicitly out to kill Harry at that point? Oh and someone had previously tried killing him by cursing his nimbus.

Saying Hermione was a hypocrite because she considered the equivalent of a Ferrari landing in Harry's lap suspicious and that the boys might not be thinking critically because of it is kind of dumb. Last time it happened as far as they know Hogwarts was safe and Voldemort was a memory, shits changed.

13. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Come on, Sorrows. Quit being all reasonable.

Thanks for the advice! I'll continue to consult you before I post, dude who joined yesterday. If Hermione makes you angry, you might consider spending less time at r/HPHarmony. It would lower your blood pressure, and make you less inclined to go looking for H/Hr stories to threadshit in at DLP.

14. Advice Needed

Advice Needed Banned

You were annoyed at everyone on that thread giving less than 4/5 for a mediocre H/Hr fic, but okay mate. And my BP is just fine, though I hear old folks gotta watch out for theirs, so maybe some fresh air will do you some good, too. Hope your eyes are good enough to see this post.

15. ruki88

ruki88 Squib

Man, that would be an awesome fic to read. It reminds me of "Forging the Sword". Amazing fic...abandoned...(ಥ﹏ಥ)
    Also, what's with people being upset about Hermione being shat on (excuse my language)? Isn't that the point of this thread?

16. Dirty Puzzle

Dirty Puzzle Seventh Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I didn't like Hermione because she was that very specific kind of annoying cunt in school that had the top spot but was fucking insufferable because of it. Nobody likes the Valedictorian. The rest of the top 10 spots would share their notes or their study materials or exchange HW for other classes with people, and generally help friends and acquaintances out as long as they weren't busy/you weren't a shitheel about asking/you didn't ask constantly. But no, the Hermione types don't talk to anyone in the school, they hoard class info like a fucking dragon, and act like their ability to be top student in the grade will get them through the gates of Heaven. And usually, they're boring as fuck. I don't really consider that to be a writing flaw because that's what Hermione's character was intended to be, from what I can tell, but it grates me to read, and Hermione's my personal least favorite character. Realistic, but very annoying, and fanon's general interpretation of her is 100x worse.

17. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Only if she lays under a glass table.

18. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  19. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    But Hermione helps her friends out academically?

20. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Yeah I think you are projecting on this one. Hermione makes study guides, help write their essays and revise with her friends all the time. She has plenty of flaws but she constantly taking the time to try and haul the boys academics up. The only time she gets pissy is when Harry uses the HBP book to be good at potions and considering he's using unproven/untested methods without telling anyone isn't invalid a concern.