1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Let's shit on Hermione

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Jul 4, 2020.

1. TRH

TRH Groundskeeper

That being said, those planners she gave Harry and Ron were pretty obnoxious. Because there's no better way to make sure someone uses a study planner than to make it spout slogans or better yet, direct insults every time you use it.

I bet if she'd gotten them alarm clocks instead, they'd have been like this one:

2. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

If she found the book first, she would have used it. She's a hypocrite.

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I disagree.

Harry blatantly followed it with whilst giving no shits about learning or understanding, as most teens would. I don’t blame him. But he used the book because it worked and it was easy.

Hermione would have used it as a learning experience. She’d have wanted to know WHY and HOW because that’s how she is. She loves school and loves to learn.

Just because she’d have used it doesn’t mean she’s a hypocrite.

If you can’t see the difference in those two things then try teaching online during a pandemic where most of the answers are on Chegg.

4. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    Well, yeah, but you could also argue that Harry should have shared the notes in the book with his friends from the get go. If you value academic integrity (as she obviously does) you can see where Hermione is coming from. It's less that Harry uses obscure techniques to make potions more efficiently, and more that he takes credit for someone else's work. In a roundabout way Harry using that book was pseudo-plagiarism, even if it was basically harmless.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  5. Acquiescing Avian

Acquiescing Avian Second Year

Harry offered to share it. Ron couldn't understand the handwriting and Hermione refused.
    Edit: In HBP, the reason due to which Hermione is apparently against the Prince's book is that it wasn't Ministry-approved, and could be dangerous.
    However, in OotP, Hermione clearly didn't believe in the Ministry-approved book blindly and had no trouble disagreeing with it.
    In HBP, Ron also points out how Hermione is just jealous of the Prince being better than her in Potions.
    She says that isn't true, but...
    This isn't a sudden change in her behaviour either. Ron said something similar in PoA after their first Divination class and she didn't take it well then either.
    Hermione does seem like a hypocrite here.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  6. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    Sure look.

7. TRH

TRH Groundskeeper

I only recall her specifically referencing Harry's stealing the credit once, when he basically skipped the entire lesson with the bezoar, so I don't feel like that was a general objection of hers.

8. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

It's amusing to me that Hermione is the most hated character on DLP.

She's self-righteous, likes to argue, won't admit when she's wrong, is interested in every subject under the sun, likes to analyze magical theory, is loyal to her friends, and isn't interested in becoming friends with outsiders.

In other words, she's a typical DLP member. And if she were a specific member, she'd be Taure, lmao, the OP of this thread.

tl, dr: I love you guys, but there's some serious fucking projection going on here. None of the other characters would be hanging out here :p

9. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  10. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Which brings me onto Hermione's most heinous crime as a character:

She dares to possess admirable characteristics which should have been given to Harry, the protagonist.

11. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Also, the movies made the problems even worse in some aspects. But then again, those movies were terrible so who cares.

12. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

Clearly the solution is to write fanfics where Hermione is the Protagonist. Though that also means she can't have flaws anymore(what protagonist needs those). Also she obviously can't date someone as evil as Ron anymore, better pair her with someone better looking with less ambigious morals, like Snape.

13. Scarat

Scarat Fourth Year

High Score:
    Has anyone ever paired her with a canonically described Snape?

14. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    I don't plan on looking into that for you, but happy hunting I guess?

15. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I thought it was established Hermione was a self-insert. And since the author has been cancelled, so has Hermione.

16. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

http://www.accio-quote.org/articles/1999/1099-connectiontransc2.htm
    Hermione deserves strangling, its Canon

17. Advice Needed

Advice Needed Banned

I never understood why that hasn't happened yet. Guess they still have rose-coloured glasses on.

18. Dirty Puzzle

Dirty Puzzle Seventh Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'll rescind the part about sharing class info, but the rest of my point stands. Above all, Hermione gets on my nerves because she venerates school. Even after growing out of her blind adherence to authority, she still retains an insufferable reverence for Hogwarts. Even when written well, I can't stand it at all. Same goes for IRL people like that: you might be the nicest person alive, but I don't want anything to do with you outside of obligatory settings. I love to learn, and I'd study a dozen different things if I had time, but not like, major in uni in them. Fuck that. School as an institution generally blows ass, and is full of nothing but busywork and bullshit. What we see of Hogwarts classes is better than that, but it's bad in plenty of other ways. Someone who loves to learn and fucking chomps at the bit to learn it at school makes me want to skip most scenes with her. She's anal about grades and on everyone's ass when they're not as obsessed with schoolwork as her, even when other people are equally as interested in magic. And by what we know about her before Hogwarts, it's because nobody liked her, so she took a love of learning and propped it up as a pillar of her personality. Do that with anything, and it's insufferable. In conjunction with being a semi-regular kiss-ass and bossy/know-it-all as fuck, I can very honestly say she's basically antithetical to the kind of people I enjoy being around. I've known half a dozen people like her over my academic career, and they're the people that would only hold a conversation with me when they needed my help with a subject even though their grades were a lot higher than mine. Very insular, very controlling, very annoying. (It doesn't help that the magical school trope, regardless of origin or who popularized it, is quickly becoming a no-go trope for me. I get enough bullshit school fuckery IRL.) If she was just uptight about her own grades, and contained her love of school specifically to her own opinion, then that's fine. But she projected that shit onto everyone else and was judge-y as fuck about it. Hard pass, thanks.

19. James

James Unspeakable

I haven't had problem with Hermione as a character for years, but nowadays, it seems to me she's written everywhere, and it's always with the same forced stupidity as canon rehashes.

- Harry is taken by Black family and given "ancient and noble" background? [Harry P., Hermione.G]
    - Harry takes interest in the french Veela, or cute french girls at all? Hermione was in France that one summer, so [Harry P., Hermione G., Fleur D.]
    - Harry is given the option to visit "Gryffindor sex club" to help with all the stress? "oh Merlin, he didn't want to imagine what Hermione would make of this"
    - Harry is written as having the drive and will to learn of his parents'? "Of course, he wasn't quite as smart as Hermione"

And the nail in the coffin is always the forums and stuff, where the rabid "Harmonians" hate any story where Harry manages to keep any semblance of personality, because "I hate stories where Hermione has to change".

Sigh.

20. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

This is actually a pretty good story, as far as smutfics go. But yeah, if you don't like Hermione, I can see how her presence would grate.