1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Letters by TheEndless7 - M

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Spanks, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

It's...uh, readable.

That's about it.

2. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

This fic really annoyed me. It had a basic premise that could have worked or done something that at least didn't suck if it stopped short of working.

3. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

My impression was that the author knew how difficult it would be to construct a story out of the letters, so he felt the need to inject stupid things in between each letter. I mean early on, mainly. For example, him using Petunia "as a mouthpiece" - really pointless and stupid, but he felt the pressure to do it so we wouldn't be reading one letter after another.

Maybe it gets better once the tournament gets started, but it seems it hasn't.

4. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

This story is complete shit. I'd be more detailed, but I can't be bothered to go find my rants from the almost recommended thread. What makes it even worse is that I was excited to see what Seratin would make of the pen-pal's premise and then this crap came along and ruined that chance.

1/5

5. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

By printing it out on paper, and holding it.

(Or, by recognizing the statement for what it is, and not being overly-anal when you damned well get the gist of what he's saying.)

On topic: this was all sorts of yawn. I wish the author was a member; I feel like a few WbA torture sessions critiques could iron out something a bit more interesting.

Ah well. 2/5

6. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Maybe you should invite him/her/it. With a pancake.

About the fic in the beginning 3/5 but after fifth chapter it was meh ,it doesn't even deserve the 1/5.

7. 13thadaption

13thadaption Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

This story is incredibly...banal. I'm going to forgo spoiler-tags, I don't think I'm really giving anything away.

The premise is bad.:
    The letters are worse:
    The romance is trite, the characterizations are bad, and all the characters sound the same.

There are a lot of moments like this:
    that are kinda 'wtf?' but in a really boring way.

I'm going to disagree with general opinion and say it get marginally better once the tournament starts. The quidditch isn't great, but it's better done than anything else. 1/5. When it isn't flat out bad, it's just really boring.

8. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

This story strikes me as utterly average for the most part - with an exceptionally weak beginning that virtually dooms the story. As noted above, Harry's candid letters in the story seem out of character and severely detract from the story. The tournament itself is fairly boring. While the quidditch competition makes some sense, the dueling competition serves to simply detract from the story.

That said - I really like Daphne's characterization in the story. She's no Ice Queen - just a girl who is attracted to Harry and determined to win him over in the long game. There is a tad too much emphasis on her cunning though.

I'm going to be overly nice, and round this up to a 3/5.

9. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

She's been by far the best part of this fic. It's annoying when an author writes a secondary love interest to be far more interesting than the primary one.

10. Relic

Relic High Inquisitor

This.

It's not even like Daphne is amazingly well written, or even an extemely likable character. To me at least it's the fact that Fleur seems so one dimensional and unlikeable that you are rooting for Daphne.

Hell if I wasn't predisposed to root for Harry I doubt I would with the way this author has portrayed him.

Overall I'd give this fic a 2/5 and that's generous, I think.

11. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Huh...so I'm not the only one who thinks that Daphne is just pretty awesome in this fic', then.

12. Stuck In Sanity

Stuck In Sanity Squib

The funny thing is that Harry thinks Daphne would be a great romantic interest, but he is "hung up on Fleur" cause the author says so. It reminds me of how JKR just made Harry in love with Ginny in canon out of the blue.

Comparing the two girls, the only advantages that Fleur seems to have is that she's "hotter," and even that might be debatable. Fleur is also more acceptable to his friends, which Harry would only care about if he was a little pussy, which he appears to be in this fic.

2/5 rating from me, but I did enjoy the Top Broom Omake that rdg2000 wrote for the story: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6894708/1/Top_Broom

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  13. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    How would that ever be debatable? She's a VEELA.

14. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Well, to be fair, there is nothing in the book that says that all veela are hot. Veela's just have an alluring 'aura' than enchants males, and can turn into avian humanoids that spit hot fire.

I'm sure American veela are just as fat as their non-veela counterparts.

15. knuckz

knuckz Seventh Year

That is an amusing thought. Harry/Fat American Veela anyone?

16. addictedforlife

addictedforlife High Inquisitor

First thought? No.

Second thought? Have fun.

17. Legacy

Legacy Death Eater DLP Supporter

I pressed the X within three chapters. I remembered seeing an idea like this in one the threads a few weeks ago, seemed like a good idea then, not so much now.

I would say a 1/5 only because it's an idea I haven't seen done before. The rest can drop into obscurity and never rear its ugly head again.

Edit: out of curiosity, are we allowed giving zeros here or should I just go with Bio's Kinsfire level?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  18. AAli

AAli High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

19. addictedforlife

addictedforlife High Inquisitor

Shitty ending of a shitty fic.

/thread