1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Likely Impact of Fantastic Beasts on Harry Potter Fanfiction?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nerdman3000, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Predicting a Genghis Potter and the Nomaj Horde fic any day now.

2. Blundo

Blundo Second Year

High Score:
    It's weird that all the stuff that seems to make other people more interested in writing a Grindelwald-heavy story makes me less interested.

When I first read the books, I had all sorts of ideas for stuff that could be done with Grindelwald, his ideology, his friendship with Albus, his links with WW2, etc.

Then JK Rowling came out and said Albus was gay for him and ignored his evil because of that. This was a bit disappointing because I found it more interesting to think of Dumbledore as a fellow true believer rather than someone just in it due to a crush. My interest didn't go away, there's still good stuff to work with there (especially if Grindelwald wasn't even gay but was a skilled manipulator), but it certainly dimmed. Slash fans rejoiced and went nuts though.

Now Depp is playing him, with all that entails. I'm already dreading the direction the character will go (RIP possible sane villain with actually thought-out ideology contrasting w/ Voldemort, hello crazy zany Depp character #732), but slash fans once again rejoice.

Might as well kiss goodbye the possibility of locating a decent Grindelwald-heavy (or Grindelwald-centric) story hidden among the mountains of slash (then again I haven't had much luck with that anyway; do any even exist?)

3. syed

syed Supermod

I hope Luna and her new husband finally find and prove all those creatures she has talked about so much.

4. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I recall Jo saying that Luna did end up discovering a lot of new creatures EXCEPT the Crumple-Horned Snorkacks which she eventually accepted as fictional.

5. syed

syed Supermod

What if in the end she bred one herself using magic?

6. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

More Harry Potter/Pokemon fusions. In which Harry will catch 'em all, under the guidance of Newt, to become the most Fantastic Beast trainer ever!!1!! :sherlock:

7. sayeftyfirst

sayeftyfirst Squib

High Score:
    I am going to make the prediction of more ridiculous and completely unpredictable twists being used as major plot devices instead of reasonable foreshadowing or consistent storybuilding and good pacing.

And then I am kind of hoping for more stories that make use of the creatures introduced to us and possibly the exploration of wizarding prohibition era America. However, I think that is particularly unlikely given those require phenomenal world building skills which tend to be pretty rare in Fanfiction at large.

8. HJPfan

HJPfan Squib

High Score:
    Two ideas that can be incorporated into fanfic:
    1. Feature Newt teaching Care of Magical Creatures at Hogwarts in the era between his travels and when Kettleburn takes over. Have him be kind and understanding to Hagrid when Hagrid was a student and argue for admitting Lupin to Hogwarts.
    2. Explain how Luna fits in with the Scamander family. Maybe a comparison story featuring alternating point of views of Luna with her father and Rolf with Newt.

This is without even diving into all the Grindelwald or American possibilities. Someone is also bound to show how the US functions today or go back and show the split int he US magical community during the American Civil War.

9. CleanRag

CleanRag Professor

There is going to be an incredibly irritating resurgence of Science vs Magic debates in stories because of the threat of war from the film. It may now be canon, but the idea that muggles could effectively wage war against wizards still makes no sense to me. It makes even less sense before satellite imagery and guided missiles were a thing.

Just thinking about it makes me ready to argue the point with Rowling. Fuck me, this is going to be painful.

10. LPriest

LPriest Muggle

Considering the way this movie showed that wizards could change an entire city while armed muggles stood around completely oblivious to the changes being made should put that argument to bed. Grindelwald was right about that much at least.

Maybe 4 oz. of blue fluid rendered an entire population defenseless and mute. Walls were no bar to its effects.

11. Blundo

Blundo Second Year

High Score:
    If there's even a single thing that's remained consistent in this franchise, it's that nothing, wall or otherwise, can stand in the way of a Rowling deus ex machina.

12. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Yep, I used to post a lot on /r/asksciencefiction, largely in response to Potter questions. Got gilded once, actually. Since the movie came out, I've unsubscribed from it and probably won't look back for a year or two.