1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

List of Plot Holes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vengashii, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Humbolt

Humbolt Seventh Year

I don't know Blaise but that kinda turned me on.

2. Reyhkt

Reyhkt Groundskeeper

Hmm, perhaps two-way portkeys can't be detected by the ministry? Think of it this way, if the spell of an unauthorized portkey was detected by the ministry then Moody would be screwed.

Know the Ministry wouldn't know what spell was used, but they could see it's effects. A magical revealing charm would show that the spell traveled all the way to the graveyard in Little Hangleton. This would show that the spell was a portkey or something similar to it.

Know if the portkey was a two-way one, then fake Moody might have been able to mask it's two way appearance. If he authorized the portkey- I assume it costs money- then he could have said it was one way, and that he already used it to travel from Little Hangleton to Hogwarts.

A revealing charm would have shown a connection between Little Hangleton and Hogwarts, presumably there is still a connection between the two places even after the portkey was used.

Know if it was a one way portkey that was used, then it would have been detected by the ministry as a portkey that goes from Hogwarts to Little Hangleton, and it would have been confiscated. Presumably Moody can blend in the signature of the Hogwarts to Little Hangleton, with the Little Hangleton to Hogwarts one.

This makes it much easier than having a Hogwarts to Little Hangleton Portkey, and trying to disguise it as a Little Hangleton to Hogwarts Portkey.

So when the Ministry Revealing charm is placed on the portkey, it shows a one-way connection from Little Hangleton to Hogwarts. It must have already been used, as a signature from Little Hangleton indicates that the person transported from there. In reality, the signature is that of a two-way portkey that will travel to Little Hangleton, and back to Hogwarts, effectively masking it's appearance.

3. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    How about in the third book, where Sirius pays a visit to Harry in Surry, before starting his journey to Scotland -Didn't he just escape from a prison in the North Sea?

4. The Sour Kraut

The Sour Kraut Seventh Year

The secret fetishes of the wizarding world by JustBlaise.
    Today's issue: How to fuck a Giantess.

I'm impressed.
    Now post it on AFF.net and wait for reviews. ;)

To the topic:

JKR could actually be right with her assessment of 3000 wizards in Britain:

We know of 8 Gryffindors in Harry's year. I'll go easy on JKR and say that that's the average of students per house and year.
    That's 32 students per year (224 total in Hogwarts).
    Assuming that the average lifespan of a wizard - and here again I go easy on JK - is 100 years, that would make the total wizarding population of Great Britain 32 * 100 = 3200 wizards.

5. Jenkins

Jenkins Forum Bike DLP Supporter

I think the wizarding world in itself is one giant plothole come to think of it. I find it hard to believe that even magic can hide all those beasts, rogue wizards, places like Diagon Alley and all that. Maybe magic can, but something as large scale as an entire civilisation seems a little unbelievable.

6. Reyhkt

Reyhkt Groundskeeper

I don't find that hard to believe. What I do find hard to believe is that wizards have the power to hide all these things, and yet they are so far behind. Where are the mile-high skyscrapers? Where are the glorious cities that have levels up to the sky?

I mean Diagon Alley looks like it's a dump, not to mention Knockturn alley. Wizards and Witches have an amazing power and yet they still live in this poverty?

It would only take a few simple spells, and the materials needed, to build an apartment building. Hell, just assemble a team of houselves, and you already have an amazing amount of power in spellwork there.

With this it would seem very feasible to build amazing architectural buildings and other things. Skyscrapers that reach up to the clouds, could be completed in a couple of days, if you have a team of dedicated houselves.

Furthermore there should be no poverty at all. I mean what the fuck is up with the Weasley's, they live in a hovel for god's sakes.

Just buy the wood and materials needed for a decent mansion, and have the home builders transport it to you with a portkey. It shouldn't be expensive to get these materials.

There are charms that can knit a scarf for you. So there should be charms that can repeat the diffindo cutting spell over and over again. Have the ministry send a couple of wizards to build a massive tree farm, that you can enclose with muggle repellent charms.

There should be Potions and Spells that can make a tree grow faster, so you wouldn't have to wait long. Then they could just use the spell to repeat diffindo over and over again at the line of trees.

You then have trees falling down by the dozen-that can be transported by portkey to the residents that require homes- for a relatively low price.

When you receive the trees and other material required to build a house, you can just use a couple of spells to piece the materials together and make a nice mansion.

If reparo can fix things there has to be a spell that can put things together. That's all it takes, to have every wizard or witch on Earth to have a mansion.

Hell, why are Wizards on Earth in the first place? They have the spells required to build a Civilization far from Earth, so why haven't they done so already?
    Get to it Boys!!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  7. The Sour Kraut

The Sour Kraut Seventh Year

Or, if you want it that way, 224 * 100 / 7 = 3200.

8. enembee

High Score:
    That doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.

9. Reyhkt

Reyhkt Groundskeeper

My bad, didn't read your post about 32 * 100. Thought it was 224.

10. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Yeah, I never even thought of this one. Good find. So Sirius escaped from Azkaban (which is in the North Sea), traveled all the way down to London just to get a brief glimpse of Harry, and then traveled all the way back up to Hogwarts? That makes no sense since Sirius didn't have a wand at that point. I mean, if he could apparate, it wouldn't be a plot hole, but we know that he didn't have a wand, and thus that he traveled on foot the whole way.

Why didn't he just wait for Harry at Hogwarts? Or why didn't he reveal himself to Harry when Harry was leaving the Dursley's and summoning the Knight Bus, and explain the whole story to him?

This would be at least a 6.5 on the plot hole scale.

11. Reyhkt

Reyhkt Groundskeeper

I think he might have been on his way to Egypt in order to get Pettigrew. He must have been impatient, and decided to go there, instead of waiting at Hogwarts for Ron. Coincidentally he met Harry along the way. Obviously, he failed to get Pettigrew in Egypt, so he traveled back to Hogwarts.

12. Lindow

Lindow Professor DLP Supporter

Wizards don't have common sense.

13. Reyhkt

Reyhkt Groundskeeper

Give him a break, he did just serve 12 years in Azkaban.

14. Lindow

Lindow Professor DLP Supporter

Oh, sorry about the confusion I was talking about the wizards building houses and all that.

15. Reyhkt

Reyhkt Groundskeeper

Ahh that's cool.

16. Mage Ronin

Mage Ronin Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

did someone already point out the spell "Accio" as a plot hole? with the spell you could theoretically summon anything with enough magical power/skill...

17. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

This, in my opinion, isn't a plothole. There are obviously limits to what you summon. If you could summon anything, Dumbledore could have just summoned Voldemorts heart out of his chest, or summoned his wand to him in the MoM, and the war would have ended before it even started.

In the third book, at the end, I remember someone summoning a bunch of wands to themselves, but I doubt this works on any half competent wizards. Like for example, you wouldn't be able to summon the wand of any non-Pettigrew Death Eater. Also, there is probably a limit on the size of objects you can summon. I doubt you could summon an object to yourself bigger than say, a medium sized boulder.

I also hate when an author tries to use Accio in a "creative" manner, like having Harry summon a Death Eater's shoes while still on the DE'ers feet, resulting in the DE losing his balance and come crashing down to the ground, making for an easy target. If the summoning charm worked in that manner, we would see something like this used in canon.

I'm all for creativity in regards to spellcasting in fics, but Accio is just one of those spells where you shouldn't make it used for anything but summoning something like a quill, a broom, a school book, etc. Accio is not a dueling spell, so please don't use it as such.

If I see a fic where Harry summons a DE'ers tescticles or something like that, it's an instant red x for me. Just don't do it.

edit: Also, summoning a person out of the path of an incoming spell is a big NO. I can't count how many times I've seen this used in fics. Just don't fucking do it.

18. enembee

High Score:
    How about locomotor? :p

19. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

Now that you mention it, why aren't there any magical cities that actually float through the air? Can you imagine a major city up at the level of the clouds, somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic? International waters, and no need to repel the muggles. For that matter, if we had enough power we could make the city invisible.

Of course, that leaves the magical beings and creatures with no one to hide them, but the current protections appear to work well enough. I suspect that most of the violations of the Statute of Secrecy are caused by humans. The Ministries or the International Confederation of Wizards could maintain "safe" portkey/apparition points in major cities worldwide, so that wizarding folk could commute or vacation among the muggles.

I wonder if we could hook up all the Kissed to some sort of magical storage cell, and use them as generators for the city protection spells.

20. Reyhkt

Reyhkt Groundskeeper

Protection spells and wards depend on the skill of the caster, not the amount of magic. So you wouldn't need magical power to maintain these wards.

In theory, as long as the caster has the necessary skill to create the wards, there isn't a limit to them. Though the idea of hooking up soulless people to magical generators sounds pretty cool.

It would be pretty easy to take a city up to the clouds. Just put on weightlessness charms on it, and you could take it as far as outer space.

The Floo Network could be used to travel within these cities, and apparating and portkeys will take you out. Plus, with expansion charms you can live high up in the skies in luxury.