1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

List of Tropes for a WBWL Parody.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Rico Rodriguez, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Rico Rodriguez

Rico Rodriguez Banned

I am trying to write a fanfiction where every trope associated with WBWL fics get amplified. I mean, 'super Harry amplified to the point where he is able to wield all the infinity stones without the gauntlet and he is also the smartest person in the universe' kind of thing.
    First thing I want for that is a list of tropes, I know some of them, abusive parents, idiot good guys, idiot wbwl brother etc, but I also want the ones that are less common. Any trope is permitted and even if some trope is not associated with wbwl fics, it can be adjusted to fit the genre, but the ones associated with the genre is favoured.
    You can just list trope name or name with description or fic where it is used.

2. TheLazyReader

TheLazyReader Groundskeeper

Harry goes to Durmstrang, which is better than Hogwarts.
    Harry becomes animagus, as many animals as you can put in, the rarer the better, but one should be like a regular 'dark' animal, like a bat.
    Harry publishes multiples papers on magical theory
    Harry gets sympathy from Snape (can also be trained by him)
    Harry has a friend who's a child of a death eater (bonus points if it's a girl)
    Harry gets respect from Gellert Grindelwald.

These are the ones I can think right now. Write it and you're sure to have a very popular story.

3. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    All these appear in at least two WBWL stories (sometimes several):
    • A childhood of neglect, either by his actual family or the Dursleys (where he was stashed "for his safety").
    • Harry's magic was drained when he reflected the killing curse back on Voldemort, making Dumbledore and his parents believe he is a squib.
    • The WBWL brother is named James. He is as arrogant as his namesake and a bit dim.
    • Ron befriends the WBWL and the two are tight.
    • Ginny has a massive crush on the WBWL.
    • Harry likes to read a lot and study magic on his own.
    • Harry has a pet snake; this serves to further alienate him from his family.
    • Sirius Black and/or Remus Lupin quietly support him despite his parents' neglect. Occasionally accompanied by being adopted into Sirius's family.
    • Harry is sorted into Slytherin or, in a pinch, Ravenclaw. Never anywhere else.
    • Harry becomes a stunningly Machiavellian politician within a few months of matriculating into Hogwarts.
    • Harry and Dumbledore don't get along.
    • Harry is a better flyer/quidditch player than his brother (who is still pretty darned good).
    • Lily has a change of heart and is redeemed later on by a modest act of kindness to Harry.
    • Harry is the older twin and therefore the heir; this raises tensions among his family.
    • Good Slytherins become Harry's posse. They all act like little politicians.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  4. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Harry goes to Gringotts, and meets the Great Gott - Griphook - who he remembers from a visit five years ago. Stunned by this, Griphook offers Harry a blood test.

It reveals that he is actually Harold James Potter-Black-Gros Michel-Emrys-Gryffindor-Shadowcrest (use every surname every listed in the series, and then throw in some of your favourite characters from other series. Bonus points if you make some of them alien names) and is a metamorph, animagus, and animorph. He has a Augury form, red nundu, Hungarian Horntail, and a magical deer (better than a stinky stag!). In fact, you should probably just go through Fantastic Beasts, and list everything from 3* and up.

The blood test should also show he's actually a earth elemental. Also a fire elemental. And water, fire, air, shadow, fire, darkness, life, and death. Also fire.

Chad (or Chode, as Harry will insist on calling him) is actually a squib. But due to the magical siphon/block placed on Harry by James Potter, because why not, Chad can cast magic. Dumbledore will switch between wanting to adopt Harry, and it being some weird ploy to inherit the Potter Fortune.

Chad and Ron will be massive dicks to Harry, Hermione, and Neville in Hogwarts. Neville turns out to actually not be rubbish at magic.

Slytherins are nice people, but misunderstood. They're all politicians, and are all part of Ancient, Sacred, Noble, Druidic, or Elder families. Pagan rituals out the wazoo.

Snape's a good guy. Probably wants to also adopt Harry.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  5. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This thread physically pains me.

Also, Hedwig is killed* and comes back as a White Phoenix.

*This death can come from:
    a) bullying from the WBWL
    b) at the Dursley's as a result of being locked in her cage
    c)Enemy action, but only if Hedwig intercepts a Killing Curse that would otherwise have hit Harry cleanly, despite a semester of dodging practise

6. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

She turns into a beautiful veela and becomes the leader of his harem made up of all the girls with large tits in the series, namely Susan Bones. They consummate their love and Hedwig turns back into an owl and explodes with Harry's dick inside her. Owai. This story exists already. Nvm.

7. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    So what I'm reading here is that Harry has a dick comparable to that of a half giant.

8. Rico Rodriguez

Rico Rodriguez Banned

That is just plain weird, and gross. But ridiculously funny

9. Rico Rodriguez

Rico Rodriguez Banned

Yep, wrote the first chapter of the story.

Name: Harry Potter: A WBWL Parody

Author:Rico RodriguezJC3

Summary: What if Harry was not the bwl? What if his spotty twin brother was mistakenly believed to be? What if someone wrote a story about it? What if he posted it here? A Harry Potter WBWL Parody that amplifies every trope in the genre. No smut. Just pure ridiculousness.

Pairing:Harry/Daphne/Susan/Tracy/More

LINK:https://m.fanfiction.net/s/13043010/1/Harry-Potter-A-WBWL-Parody

10. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    You can do better on the summary.

11. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

The one thing I would be concerned with is the actual parody part. There are plenty of stories out there that take all of those elements and are writing in a completely serious manner. What I'm getting at is, that all because you say something is a parody, doesn't actually make it a parody. The inverse can also be true.

12. Rico Rodriguez

Rico Rodriguez Banned

True, the summary was a spur of the moment decision based on the first summary of Harry Potter and the Prince Of Slytherin.
    According to Oxford dictionary a parody is an imitation of the style of a particular writer, artist, or genre with deliberate exaggeration for comic effect. That is what I hope to do, an imitation of the genre with deliberate exaggeration of certain elements for comic effect. I don't know how well I have been faring in this. I hope you have read the first chapter, but if you don't want to, no problem. But for this who haven't read it, please read it.

13. Glimmervoid

Glimmervoid Professor

How about Harry thinks and acts like all those tropes are true... but it is clear to the reader this isn't the case. Like he complains his parents hate and abuse him in a brooding, byronesque internal monologue while all they do is ask him to do chores or send him to his room when he misbehaves.

14. Rico Rodriguez

Rico Rodriguez Banned

Think I lost the chance for that. But plenty of opportunities for that in the future.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Think I lost the chance for that. But plenty of opportunities for that in the future.

15. Silly

Silly Third Year

High Score:
    Just my two cents, but be careful of how long your story gets, because writing a good, long crack/parody story is kind of hard. It's a genre that is very suited to shorter stories, because the reader can finish the story without spending that much time, chuckle at some of the silly things, and then move on with their life. Once you start writing a longer story your readers are going to begin to lose interest, because while somebody may be fine reading 20k words making fun of a fandom, who wants to sit through 200k+ words worth of jokes without plot?

That's not to say that you can't write a long crack/parody story, but you need some other sort of hook to keep people committed to the story besides "this story is funny lol". Balancing the sort of non-serious nature of parody with an actual plot with actual characters that the reader can get invested in is the most important part, and that is far from trivial task.

16. TheLazyReader

To be honest, he could change the summary, and people might not even notice it's a parody and take it seriously. It'd probably even break 1k reviews.

17. Silly

Silly Third Year

High Score:
    By that, you mean removing the last three sentences and adding more questions to the summary, right?

18. TheLazyReader

And a couple exclamations marks.

19. Rico Rodriguez

Rico Rodriguez Banned

I changed the summary but not too sure it's good or not. I suck at summaries.

Okay, I did the following tropes in first chapter,
    • Neglective Parents and useless brother
    • Wrongly chosen brother
    • Very Smart!Harry who reads all the books in Potter and Black libraries.
    • Harry goes to Gringotts and gets emancipated, super rich, removes HORCRUX, and unlocks his magical bindings and gets his super powers.
    • Sort of friendly goblins.
    • Marriage contract.

I want to include the following in the next chapter.
    • Stores in Diagon Alley and Knockturn Alley where Harry could get all magical artefacts and books.
    • Super magical trunk where he can live.
    • Love at first sight with his harem girls.
    • Parents of his harem girls are all part of the grey faction
    • Super wand made of some rare core.
    • Mary sue characters in Harry's side.
    • Train Ride ever the factions and things are made.

If any body has more trope ideas, please contact me.

20. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Since you respond to criticism by quoting fucking dictionaries at people, let's dive a bit deeper shall we?

The problem with your story is that if you didn't tell us it was a parody, no one would get it was a parody.

It's not funny. It's not obvious (I would be willing to bet someone has written a Superman!Harry fic completely seriously). It plays the tropes straight.

Glimmervoid has the right of it. The way to make this funny is by inverting the tropes.

Harry complains about being mistreated, but all his parents do was ask him to take out the garbage that one time. He whines they spend all their attention on his brother because his brother fell one time and they ignored him for like 2 minutes. He bitches about his brother being showered with attention, when in fact, when people try to talk to him he acts like an asshole.

Trying to one up people and taking it to the point of ridiculous might have worked in traditional published fiction, but this is fanfiction and you have to understand that parodies are highly affected by the current meta and trends of the stories around it. And being fanfiction, people have written your amount of ridiculous, and have written it seriously, and have done it years before you did. The result being that no one can tell if you're being serious or if you're trying to be funny.

Trust me, you're not going to win the battle by trying to out ridiculous them.

Rule of thumb for parodies: Don't say it's a parody, show it to someone, and if they don't get it's a parody right away, it's not a parody.