1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey DLP authors, there's a bit less than a month left to wow us with your story about Daphne or Azkaban.

The Author applies the words to the paper or it gets the hose. Write or die! The more the merrier.

Click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Living Dangerously by CGPH - T

Discussion in 'Review Board' started by Genghiz Khan, May 12, 2019.

1. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Unspeakable

I've been following this fic for a while now. 33 chapters with approx 120k words in, I have to say, it's one of the few actively updating fics not from this site's authors I've been following with eagerness.

The premise is that due to a plot device, Harry and Daphne end up making out during detention in the Potions classroom. The fic is set in OotP with one difference. Harry and Ginny got together around the beginning of his 5th year. Keeping his affair secret while handling his relationships with Ron, Hermione and Ginny makes for some interesting drama. If I remember correctly, the early chapters aren't as great as the latter ones (the writing improves markedly as the story progresses) but it doesn't start out from too low a floor.

I like the premise, for one. I think it's a very interesting time for this shit to happen. Most fics with Daphne take place when both are just entering Hogwarts, or after Ootp. Fifth year canon-compliant fics introducing an affair aren't very common. The entire situation with Umbridge is explosive as it is, add in an affair with Daphne on top of a relationship with Ginny and it becomes a powder keg. Daphne is a bit of a snob early on (her character progresses, I assure you) and Harry is very canon Harry. There's a bit of ooc-ness from time to time but I don't think it detracts from the story.

There are a few places where I think the author could have done things differently, perhaps not shoehorned canon into their story with as much force as they have, but it's fine. It's a bit of a nit to pick when you've got a story this good.

A 4/5. For those who're impatient with how this story starts and how it progresses, hang on. It gets better. This author isn't afraid of letting shit really hit the fan.

2. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Lol, I read this story when it came out. 8 years ago. Back then, it was the usual 4-chapters/opening-then-abandoned thing. There are tons of those mine included. This must be the one in a million unicorn.

I guess this'll test how I can handle teenage drama these days.

As usual, I'd have preferred the exact opposite. Snob is fine, Canon!Harry not so much. People always seem to want likeable characters, strange creatures they are.

3. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Unspeakable

Give it another chance, @Sesc. It’s a Harry/Daphne story firmly in the “not shit” category. Not many of those out there.

4. Lord Of The Sand Grains

Lord Of The Sand Grains First Year

At this point, it has become Daphne's character trait, to be written as snobbish or cold bitch.

5. Microwave

Microwave Seventh Year

I've been following this for about a year now, against my better judgement.

My biggest issue with it is probably just how unedited and unpolished it seems, there seems to be minor perfectly unavoidable mistakes every other sentence.

I guess a lot of what I don't really like is the premise of teenagers wallowing in the misery of their own mistakes. The plot doesn't really seem to be leading anywhere other than the fact that Harry and Daphne will get back together after misunderstanding #271718727282727281817.

I'm perfectly fine with canon Harry but to me at least, this feels more like his personality is just moulded to fit whatever is convenient at whatever time. There's the same issue with Daphne, really, she changes so much that there isn't really much left to her character.

2/5 because I actually read the entire thing.

6. harryphoenix

harryphoenix Squib

Daphne calls Harry "daddy" in the first chapter.

They're both 15.

I couldn't do any more than skim the next 4 chapters until my brain started to melt out my ears.

2/5 for a vaguely interesting plot but some glaring grammatical and editing errors and truly terrible prose.