1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for: strategy games

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Skeletaure, May 29, 2015.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So now that my exams are over I'm looking to spend a bit of time gaming, and my preference is for strategy games, both turn-based and real time. I'm considering getting Galactic Civilisations III, but it looks quite similar to GalCivII, which I played a lot, so I'm wondering if I should get something else instead.

Any suggestions?

Games I've enjoyed in the past:

Age of Mythology
    Age of Empires III
    Civilization IV and V, all expansion packs

My problems with these generally revolved around poor AI.

Games which I thought were okay but had some issues with:

Crusader Kings II
    Hearts of Iron III

I enjoyed the level of detail in these games, but I found them not enough like games and too much like simulations. It was too hard to deviate from history and play around in the sandbox. I also had problems with army management and the UI in Hearts of Iron III. Also, more generally, I felt like not enough happened.

In particular, I would really enjoy a strategy game that focused on the economic side of things as much as the military: trade routes, resources, infrastructure, etc.

2. Blinker

Blinker Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Thoughts on the Total war series? I was a big fan of both Shogun titles and have heard very good things about Rome (which is now getting on a bit). If you've not played them they are a mix of turn base realm management and real time battles.

There is a fair bit of focus on research and trade, and a decent set of mechanics requiring balance of priorities (e.g. Put taxes too high and revolts kick off, stopping production in provinces so armies can't be fed). It's not the most complicated but does require a bit of care and can be very satisfying.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  3. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

The obvious one would be SC2, not a medieval one as you seem to prefer, but it really is the best real-time strategy game.

Europa Universalis IV is a good alternative to Civ, though I must admit I still prefer Civ V.

The HD version of AoE is worth a shot for nostalgia if nothing else, the old game is borderline unplayable in comparison.

4. Plotless

Plotless High Inquisitor

I'll second Europa Universalis IV, but I fear that you might see it as more of a simulation game is you always have to start at a point in time that has happened in real life. It also requires a lot of time, but is rewarding when you conquer the world as some minor South Indian province.

5. TMD

TMD High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

SC2 is the best RTS, and as mentioned Shogun II: Total War is brilliant militarily and strategically, but less focused on some aspects of technology like in the CIV games.

6. Plotless

Plotless High Inquisitor

I've thoroughly enjoyed XCOM: Enemy Within, especially using the Long War Mod. It's becomes insanely difficult with the mod (Giant crysalisks are bullshit) but it really tests your ability to co-ordinate a team and focus research on the things that help most in the long run.

7. fire

fire Order Member

Old is gold.

Command and Conquer, Warcraft, StarCraft.

The story in Warcraft III is great, while the AI in both WC and SC are insane - they can micro to a humanly impossible extent.

8. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    They're not much for economics, but combat, exploration, etc is awesome:

Heroes of Might and Magic series.

1) HOMM3 is widely regarded as the best in the series (a point I personally argue against, but that's just my preference). Enormous amount of creatures, diverse factions, fan support, lots of campaigns, a boatload of one-map scenarios... It has everything.

You get it (plus both expansions) dirt cheap from gog.com. There's an HD version that Ubisoft released (probably on Uplay), but it doesn't have the expansions and is more expensive than the gog offer. You don't play this game for graphics.

It's not a game for everyone, but if you like it, just the campaigns go into probably hundreds of hours of gameplay.

There's also a fan made expansion called Horn of The Abbys, adds one new faction.

2) HOMM4. On the whole, it offers less content in the way of campaigns and scenarios, but it's cheap on gog (with 2 expansion packs). Gameplay is quite different from the previous game (heroes' behavior). Mostly for people who like to min/max heroes. There are lots of tricks you need to master to effectively play on higher difficulty levels, which is really the only way to play (5 diff levels, anything below 3 is just unsatisfactory).

EDIT: it might be a good idea to grab the Equilibris mod, it balances out some things, including AI.

3) HOMM5, the first one from Ubisoft. Has two expansion packs, one is a standalone. Good campaigns, but no continuity with previous titles. I had fun with it. If you can find it cheaply and you want to try it out, grab it.

I can't say anything about 1,2 and 6 (haven't played them). I don't know how much you know about HOMM, but if you want to get into it, HOMM3 is the classic experience (think BG of turn-based strategies), HOMM4 is my personal favorite.

EDIT2: Tbh, if you want to play with economics, managing traffic and such, I'd pick up Cities: Skylines. I'm only conveying what I've seen and heard about it as I haven't had a chance to play it myself, but the opinion tends to be that it's (one of) the best city builders in recent years.

9. Plotless

Plotless High Inquisitor

Agreed. I loved HOMM5 loads, but 6 was a disappointment, and took away a lot of the diversity of the games. If anyone want to play a more modern HOMM, I'd advise 5 over 6.

10. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Lol. Grandpa HOMM3 is such a classic that we refer to HOMM5, which is 10 years old, as a "newer game". Even HOMM4 is crossing into advanced teens.

Ah, gotta love that old gold.

11. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

If you wanna mix RPG with Strategy go for Divinity: Original Sin

12. Radmar

Radmar Disappeared

I don't play strategy games often, but I enjoyed Rise of Nations. It's a bit old, but transition from nothing to modern warfare is good. There are trade routes, infrastructure and some resources (wood, food, iron, oil, if I remember it right). It is similar to Age of Empires 3, but with the option of launching nuclear warheads on the enemy, stealth planes, tanks and such.

I've heard good things about relatively new Starcraft 2, but I never tried it.

I've played all Heroes of Might and Magic games, but somehow they don't seem like games that Taure would enjoy (judging by his post). HoMM games aren't about economy that much, especially the sixth one. Last two have very good campaigns with well developed plots, though. And some scenearios are pretty damn hard to get through, even on medium difficulty.

edit: I just got an idea. How about Settlers 2? It's very old (somewhere from 90's I think), but it has it all. Dozens of buildings, even some ships, lots and lots of resources, military, and lots of trade routes. I strongly recommend this one, if Taure doesn't mind older graphics.

13. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    According to my brother Civilization: Beyond Earth is really good, tho it needs some mods.

My favorites are Wh40k: Dawn of war series. Lots of gameplay, glorious graphical butchering and awesome story. I had fun with Empire Earth II.

Warcraft III is old but good, Warcraft 2 is also good.

The Setlers game line is good to. Anno 1602 and friends focus on economy if that is what you want. Cossacks is a middle ground.

14. Ncjeur

Ncjeur Second Year

Most (newer) Total War games are great, but have problems with their AI. Still, they're fun to play, but if the AI is important for you you might not enjoy them completly.
    You might enjoy the Anno-series (especially Anno 1404 and 2070). They're more about the building of settlements and the construction of a working supply chain. The military part plays a lesser role. I don't think the Anno-series is very well-known outside of Germany, but the games are bloody fantastic.
    Apart from those? There are far too few good strategy games recently... :/

15. Oment

Oment The Betrayer DLP Supporter

N'thing Heroes III and IV - and III is the best of those I've played, @Scott_Press :colbert: , but they're not really about the economy, unless you start on the top two difficulties, and even then it's only that for the first 15 turns. Ish.

I never really got into 5 though, and though I really enjoyed 6, it's not objectively the best game ever.

Rise of Nations - and arguably its pseudo successor Rise of Legends - are decent enough. The former is more Civ-esque in balance and game setting - it allows you to recreate (or deviate from) several historical campaigns (Alexander the Great, Napoleon, Cold War, and one I'm forgetting) as well as a random-ish conquer the world campaign and the usual scenarios. The latter is more reminiscent of Blizzard's RTS series: fantasy world, dynamic balance, a campaign with actual story - though I recall it ticking several cliche boxes - and a focus on hero units à la Age of Mythology.

-edit- the Anno games focus on economy, building, with occasional conflict as well. They're quite sedate in general, but its AI (at least in 1404) approaches Civ V levels of derp.

16. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

I think SC2 is tons of fun, but I'm not quite sure it's what you're looking for, Taure. I'd compare it to a very complicated, very fast-paced version of rock-paper-scissors that hinges on your ability to think on the fly and multitask rather than any real economic nuance.

Plus, the learning curve (if you're playing against humans) is littered with very specific strategies that you have to learn how to play against that have very little to do with planning an economy. Like, you'd be getting your ideal base setup and planning a very efficient macro build, and I'd DT rush or 6-pool you over and over, because I'm a tool. :p

17. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Europa Uiniversallis 4. It's my personal favorite 4x strategy game, and probably the second best overall modern one behind Civ.

18. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I'm going to reiterate EU4. They've greatly improve their AI since its release. Playing in Europe is a good plan to get to know the game (France - Military focus / Castile - Colonial / Austria - Military and Diplo) but some regions are way more interesting (China, Japan, India, Persia, etc.) You also have a bunch of achievement that can give you something to strive for (World Conqueror, Spain is the Emperor, etc.) you can play Ironman (no way to load a previous save) and have more a challenge that way and multiplayer as well or even 2 players controlling the same nation.

There's a DLC focus on the economics and nations that have more focus on that than others (Venice).

19. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Have you played Stronghold?

20. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

Endless Legend

I'm honestly surprised it hasn't been recommended yet. I consider it a kind of midway point between Civ 5 and Age of Wonders 3, and if you liked either of those you will almost guaranteed like this one.

It has some neat concepts. You can assign Heroes (which are like Great People in Civ 5) to Govern a City or Command an Army, and each race/class has different talent trees for the Hero. Then you can customize individual units armor/weapons, which may or may not cost strategic resources.

Ash