1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Lucifer

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Peter North, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

That's assuming that an Angel's primary purpose is to fight or be God's warrior, which isn't really true outside of Supernatural.

Archangel's could simply be more independent(or devoted), more intelligent, or more human like.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  2. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I'm not too familiar with the comic on which this is loosely based, but apparently there are a number of factors involved. For one, Amenadiel is not a random shmuck, I believe, but in fact a highly important angel with a fair amount of power. For another, Lucifer has given up some of his power when he chose to leave hell. In addition, given the nerf Lucifer's seen in this format, it's possible that he's much less than his full strength due to reasons that may become clear later (and may even be tied to his growing compassion in some way).

Amenadiel is specifically noted as an angel that hates him, though, so I'm hoping that Heaven as a whole is more Dresden than Supernatural.

3. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

The best part of episode 2 was the opening scene. While the episode seemed kind of flat to me the ending definitely got me curious. Will the detective find out the truth? I hope episode 3 on wards does better.

4. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

"find out the truth" sounds so bad tbh.

Hes not exactly hiding what he is.

Pretty decent episode imo, glad the ex-husband seems more tolerable than in the pilot.

5. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    They changed Dan's actor. It was weird at first, but then I got used to it and I have to say, I prefer him to the other guy. That, coupled with the fact that Dan is actually not as much of a colossal dickwad as he was in episode 1 made me like him. I think the new actor suits the character better.

I absolutely loved Lucifer's outburst on his whatsherface follower. Really well made scene. Gave me chills for a second.

The second episode also alleviated many of my fears for the show. I was afraid it'd get bogged down by the procedural nature, but it doesn't seem to be. I love how fast the pace is in regards to Lucifer, his nature, and everyone's stance/knowledge of it.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  6. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

They re filmed all the scenes with Dan in it, because the same actor was in the Pilot when it aired a week ago.

7. blizzarrrd

blizzarrrd Fourth Year

I enjoyed the second episode a lot more. I like Dan's new actor better, and I'm glad Amenadiel lost the wings, and either I'm getting used to Lucifer's way of speaking, or is accent isn't as over the top as it was in the first episode.
    Also liked the last scene a lot. I think it was necessary to show this more devious side of Lucifer's personality. It's now far more believable that he's actually the devil.

8. delightfully

delightfully Squib

High Score:
    As someone who actually read the comic books this series is "loosely based" off of, I was so disappointed by the first episode it was nigh unwatchable. They more or less tossed out everything good about the comic series just to have an excuse to "adapt" it. I don't know -- the acting seemed pretty bad to me, the jokes and writing amateurish and clunky, ant the plot really pathetic compared to the comic books. I guess I'll just ignore this and hope that the comics get a straight adaptation one day.

9. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

I think you have to watch it for what it is; if you go in expecting an adaptation of Gaiman's Lucifer, you're going to be disappointed. Treat it as a mildly humorous way to kill time and you'll have better luck.

10. delightfully

delightfully Squib

High Score:
    I honestly did go in wanting to enjoy it for what it was on its own, but again, I found the quality of the writing to be so low that it was almost impossible. Maybe future episodes will pick up the quality a bit. I'll certainly give it another chance.

11. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Having read (most of) the Lucifer comics, this show and the comic share only the most superficial resemblance on their base premise- so far. To judge one by comparing it to the other is unfair.

12. delightfully

delightfully Squib

High Score:
    Well, yes. I knew it was 'loosely based', but I was still disappointed by how little the two shared. Even trying to toss out my expectations of the comic plots, I found the show's plot and acting to be lacking. Again, I'll wait for a few more episodes to come out and then watch them all at once to see if I warm up to it at all. I want to like it!

13. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

Yeah, I feel your frustration there. One can only listen to so many songs with devilish stuff in the lyrics before there's a permanent palm-shaped impression on your face. Yes, Lucifer, we get it. You're the devil. Ha-fucking-ha. Even the name of the club is a reference! The man himself seems more petty than perspicacious, more cruel than charismatic. There are enough moments where the dead baby jokes verge on being actually good to keep me watching, though.

14. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Just saw the new episode, was pretty cool.

Lucifer shows more of his powers, his character becomes more complex.

15. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Tom Ellis is no Cumbersbatch. The directors are wasting potential the pilot showed by rarely putting Lucifer out of his comfort zone and trying to make Ellis a smartass.

16. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    You say that yet I was sort of disappointed because the opposite seemed to happen. Sure, we got a show of physical strength and it's good to know, but I was almost as disappointed as (Mace? Is that her name? Not watching with subs) when he just ... let the impostor go.

Having Lucifer change from his demonic background is well and good, but shouldn't it be at least over time?

You could argue that he didn't do anything because cops were literally around the corner and he knew that, but that didn't seem to bother him before. The decision to just let him go unpunished seemed completely spontaneous.

17. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

The most amusing scene of this episode was the one where Lucifer wakes up in a bed with three women and they still have their lingerie on. PG edginess at its finest. :)

18. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Yeah, that bedroom scene was ridiculous. Ultimately, though, I think this show needs to go somewhere with the whole 'Lucifer is turning good' thing and it needs to do it fast. Either that or ditch the procedural cop format for the more supernatural stuff. Constantine did procedural initially but each episode was developing something more concrete along the way. The first two episodes did a passable job of that but this one was just pure filler. No meaningful character development that we hadn't already seen, no real revelations that challenge anyone. And from the looks of it the next episode is going to be Lucifer temporarily losing his powers, which puts off the cop confirming who he is even more.

This is a fun show, and I'm enjoying the episodes. But two or three more like this and I'll lose interest and move on. There needs to be something more, and right now it doesn't look like the showrunners plan it that way.

19. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Today's episode of Lucifer made me fall in love with it even more... Or maybe I just was to see Lucifer bang Chloe Decker.

20. deyas

deyas Groundskeeper

If this happens, before, say, the finale of season 2, I very much doubt I will be watching this show any longer.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016