1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Magic the Gathering

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Rofl xD, I still do, shit is too fucking boss in a token generation deck to ever give up no matter how cheap it makes me. Thanks to that little trick I've ended matches with health in the high hundreds.

2. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Heh, reminds me of every game I played against my old best friend from high school. The fucker ran four Wellwishers, Coat of Arms, and a shitload of other elves, and it was a usual game for him to get life in the three hundreds. The best games, though, was when I was playing Wizards (I know, in Onslaught block) and I still beat his ass. Raven Guild Master ftfw.

Also, I know for a fact that not a single elf deck can beat a Kamigawa-era Zubera-Greed deck. It's scarily awesome.

3. Krogan

High Score:
    Lol Raven is a nice trick but when its up against 43 6/6 and rising Elf tokens guarded by an unkillable Vigor that you have to attack it kinda falls flat :awesome.

Also eh, I always hated Kamigawa to be honest, there were a couple good things in there but overall I thought it was a pretty shitty set.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  4. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

My brother got me into playing it briefly, and I can see its addictive potential. But I'm not a fan of the plethora of rules and effects that go into the game. Not to mention that I'm slow as hell and incompetent as a player, so I'll just stick to being addicted to regular card games.

But yes: it's definitely a good game. I would play it and love it if I was a more dedicated type, I suspect. I wouldn't have thought that being a player would be considered all that geeky, though.

5. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Er.. I played, YEARS ago. If I remember correctly, I had a black deck, and my strategy consisted entirely of sapping life from the opponent and given it to me. I have friends who still play it: one of them was boasting the other day how he has a deck that makes you discard 20 cards a turn or something: DLP, any fact checking on that?

6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I do recall a card that makes you take 20 cards off the top of your library and put them into your graveyard.

I also recall a card which summons all the creatures in your graveyard back to the battlefield though, so I guess there's a counter, lol.

I think I also remember a card that summons all the creatures out of your opponents graveyards and puts them under your control, actually. So That would be a pretty awesome card to play in combination with the aforementioned "20 cards into graveyard" card.

Cruel Ultimatum was the card that kept killing me. A friend of mine had 4 of them and used them ruthlessly combined with Blightening. Crazy mana cost though apparently I have lots to learn about non-standard mana generation. In my "spare cards" red deck all I had was land to get me mana.

If you have a card that generates mana, how do you represent it? Go through your library for a land, play it, then shuffle the library?

Also, what's a sideboard?

7. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've been playing Magic since '95 when Homelands was released. I've played pretty much every type of deck you can think of, although, I tend to lean towards Blue and control type decks. I've played in regional tournaments, and I've received invites to Nationals/Pro-Tour. I've never actually gone though, either I was too young, or I couldn't afford it.

I'm also a DCI Judge, although my cert has expired (I'll need to get a new one).

Shrodinger: Yeah, the new planswalker, Jace, will force you to mill 20 cards. The newest incarnation of him will exile (remove from the game) your library (except for seven cards).

edit:

A sideboard is 15 cards that you can swap out for cards in your deck during official tournaments. You have to switch out 1-for-1 with what's in your deck, and then reset your sideboard back to normal at the end of every series.

8. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

ALRIGHTY THEN! I now have OPT set up. Once you download the conveniently linked program for players, you'll need to connect and register. A tad confusing, at first. You will need to go to the Server pull down, hover over Main Servers, and click connect to... Your settings are as followed:

Server: mtg.w3t.me
    Port: 3000
    Username: New
    Password: EMPTY!!

[​IMG]

Upon connecting, you are displayed this in your Server Message area:

[​IMG]

You will need to /reg <NAmE> <Password> in order to gain a nick. You will be immediately disconnected upon doing so. This is normal and meant to happen. From there, go back to your server pull down and select the newly added server:

[​IMG]

The information you've registered is automatically added to this. Just click and done! Upon successful registration, you are displayed this:

[​IMG]

When I first used it, that confused me to, because I never gave it an email address. >_> To do so, use /email <address> once you've registered.

Slightlymagic.net has done a wonderful job writing a tutorial for all of the other information you will need. If you want to use my scan collection, information on it is in the 'Initial settings" portion of their tutorial.

9. Darje

Darje Groundskeeper

During any games we might play, are we going to worry about what set our decks come from? I'm only familiar with the mirrodin set so far.

10. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    O_O

I've played MTG for six years now. I used to have a ton of cards, but I sold alot a year back, when I really needed the money. While not owning ridiculously OP custom decks that can kill the opponent in a single turn if my hand is good, I do have some decks left, and occasionally play with my friends. This is all irl, mind you. I don't think I've ever played MTG online.

Yeah, as far as fantasy card games go, MTG is the best, without a doubt. The rules involved make it just insanely complicated, it's got a very mature feeling, actually rich lore, and it's not ...stupid, like that pokemon and digimon and yugioh-whatever games.

My favorite colours are Red and Blue, and I'm usually playing either a pure spell (as in, no creatures or tokens) deck or wizard deck.

11. Krogan

High Score:
    No, its just an understood thing or at least its that way in the matches I've played, for example with my Priest of Titania say as a hypothetical I have five other Elf creatures on the field if I use her ability of (Tap to gain X mana where X is the number of Elf creatures in play) then its understood that I now have five forest mana to play whatever I like. I've heard of people using little markers or something like that to show it but you really don't need to.

Also Vir covered the sideboard thing fairly well, the basic idea when making a sideboard is to allow yourself to be prepared for all types of situations that your normal deck wouldn't have the capacity to deal with. I keep lots of fun bullshit cards in mine like Unquestioned Authority. God damn I love the apoplectic rage using that card causes.

12. Vir

High Score:
    Does anyone know where I can buy a box of Magic in German? A friend of mine back home wants one.

13. Krogan

High Score:
    In theory couldn't you just buy straight from Wizards? I've never bought anything from them online but I don't see why you couldn't do it.

14. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

...Germany? ¯\(o_º)/¯

Unless you're playing with uber rules-lawyers or specifically limited tournaments (I.E Restricted formats such as Vintage(T-1), Extended (T1.x), Legacy (T-1.5), etc), most people don't mind what cards you use in casual games (to my experience) so long as you don't got psychotic overboard with overpowered shit, like the Mox sets or Black Lotus.

I think its generally a consensus among casual players to typically follow the official restricted/banned lists regardless, but ignoring sets and blocks.

But again, those were only the house rules to the games I typically played in around here. House rules vary depending on the house and group.

Protip: Always ask. You look a douche if you just assume your own house rules stand everywhere.

Yeah. That they used to do novels with a lot of the background story to the sets and important characters was awesome too. Phage the Untouchable was awesome. So was Akroma. Karona, you would think would be twice as awesome, considering she was literally Akroma and Phage merged together into a single entity. She was distinctly not awesome.

Also, begone, blasphemer! Red. Hisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. I've seen a few decent reds in my day, but I still dislike them. :| Kamahl started cool. Then he went and joined the Krosan. :|

Ixidor still remains a personal favorite. Wutwut?

15. Vir

High Score:
    You can't buy directly from Wizards. At least, you can't as an individual. The comic store I work(ed) at can buy boxes from Wizards but they're expensive as hell. It's much cheaper to go through a supplier, but even then, the suppliers that I know don't have German on hand. Lots of Japanese/Russian though.

16. Krogan

High Score:
    Huh, don't know what to tell you then beyond try Starcity.

17. Skeletaure

High Score:
  18. Krogan

High Score:
    Hey Taure I meant to ask, you said you were doing a Green/Black deck, whats your deck list look like right now? Mind throwing it up here?

19. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Lol, I've basically ordered the Black intro pack and the Green intro pack from the Magic 2011 Core set. So my choice is going to be limited somewhat. I've also ordered 3 booster packs, so I'll have 5 boosters to open in total, 75 cards. Fingers crossed for some nice ones.

Breakdown of the intro packs I got can be found here: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/489

"Reign of Vampirism" and "Stampede of Beasts". If you hover over the card names it will show them at the side.

20. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Ixidor was always amazingly cool, and I played wizards in Onslaught block between Zombies, Goblins, and Slivers, and he had a great backstory too. Several realms of awesome there.

But maybe it was just me, but after the awesomeness that was Yawgmoth and the Phyrexian invasion, Wizards hit another homerun in black with the Cabal. I mean, from there we got Braids, Phage, the Patriarch, the pits, and my most favourite MtG character of all time: Chainer. And this is true facts: Cabal >>> Urborg.

Agreeing with Vash regarding Kamahl. Balthor was pretty sweet though. Shame Jeska was such a fucking bitch. Turning her into Phage was the best thing Wizards could have done.

And to think that they had all of these great, well-realized and interesting characters and then they pissed them all away.

I'm going to end this post before I devolve into a frothing rage about how the fluff behind MtG has deteriorated with only one final comment: Taure, and anyone new getting into magic, you would do yourself a massive favour by reading the old books. Start with 'The Brothers' War'. Then look at the newest sets and you'll understand why most of the old school Magic players who followed the continuity remember the Phyrexians so damn fondly and how most have a longstanding hatred for Freyalise and fucking Teferi... or maybe that's just me.