1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Magic the Gathering

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hmm for a beginning that's not a bad start at all, there is some pretty decent shit in there. The Stampede gold card in the Green deck is pretty fucking boss actually. Your going to need to work with it a lot though to get any real serious value out of it.

Do you know the basic idea of what kind of deck you want to play? Burn, Negate, Creature, Discard etc. etc. etc.?

2. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Truth has been spoken. Chainer was pretty sweet, but I preferred Braids. And that she got a blue counterpart from an alt plane in the Planar Chaos pack only made that preference stronger.

I haven't really cared for many of the new shit until Jace Beleren and Liliana Vess. The interaction between the two of them was pretty sweet.

And on the subject of Vess and Beleren, I'm not as opposed to the planeswalker cards as most people. I think it may be that I remember the Vanguard set. It was ... essentially the same.

What I dislike most, is the one with the actual PLANES cards and fuckign DICE added to them. I cant remember the name of the set though. Those pissed me off. :|

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, my general preference in games like this is to build up over time and then go all out with some pretty buffed up powerful attacks. So I guess I'd need cards to stall for time (e.g. get rid of enchantments and block attacks) while building up my mana and own enchantments, before using a small number of high cost, high power cards to win with overwhelming power.

Or at least that's my preference. Whether or not it's a valid playing strategy is another matter.

4. Krogan

High Score:
    No, that's actually a perfectly viable strategy, its extremely similar to how I play the Deck I'm using. Slow burn decks like mine are kinda vulnerable in the beginning but they are screwy powerful once they get rolling. My Elf deck is set up around token generation/buffing the shit out of individual units. It takes me a few turns to set up and get going properly but once I do with a good hand its easily possible for me to have 50+ 6/6 or higher Elf tokens on the field that have protection from all colors, flight, trample and indestructible. Combine with my Wellwishers which when I tap them permanently give me one life per Elf in play, I roll right the hell over just about everything.

Edit: Forgot to tell you the best part, the only non Elf creature I play in my deck is an elemental called Vigor which used properly is the most cheaty face bullshit card you can find in a legal deck. When you have Vigor out no matter what creature the other player decides to attack all of it is done to Vigor instead and +1/+1 tokens are placed on the target for every point of damage it would have taken. You combine this with an Indestructible effect and now you have an unkillable shield that buffs your creatures every time someone attacks.

If you want advice on making the deck feel free to PM me, I love to talk Magic with people.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  5. Darje

Darje Groundskeeper

Does this deck look viable to anyone? It's all I could remember from my old white deck.

6. Krogan

High Score:
    Ehh from what I know of White deck play styles it's not bad but Im far from an expert on White. What I do know though is that if you want to draw from the Mirrodin cycle, artifact decks murder the shit out of anything else in that entire section.

7. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Unfortunately I don't really have the resources to decide on what cards to use and then make a deck from it. I'm just going to have to make the best of what I get from what I've ordered. Which is fine for casual play, so I'm not majorly upset about it. Maybe I can buy the odd specific card every so often, and maybe some more in bulk whenever a new block is released, but I probably won't be able to build a tier 1 deck except through time and luck.

And since I mention it, what exactly is the definition of a tier 1 deck?

8. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I got into MtG fairly early--Spring 1994, if I recall--and used to own a few scarce cards before they got stupidly pricey (thus enticing me to sell them--I traded one of the Mox for a guitar).

I used to play decks similar to what you describe, Taure, though with antique cards. My favorites were variants of permission/control, typically Blue/White T1 with Mox pearl and sapphire and a couple tundras to keep things lively: Counter everything until you can break out the Polar Krakens/Leviathans (which used to not be made of suck, believe it or not). Anyone else remember when 10/10 or 11/11 trample (counterspells to stop snipers) used to rule?

I ended up selling off most of my good stuff when MtG got big and there was a market for my old cards. I still have something like a couple thousand lower-end cards in shoe boxes in the attic, though no moxen, dual lands, tempest efreets or anything else cool.

9. Darje

Darje Groundskeeper

Most of the MTG cards I've dealt with have been from Mirrodin, so I understand the importance of artifacts with them.

The way I remember playing it was gaining life through the elders with the large amount of artifacts I would have while equipping the grunts to beef them up while using my instants/sorcery to deflect damage.

Kinda similar to Taure's strategy I guess, but nothing is really that high in cost.

10. Skeletaure

High Score:
    I'm a bit confused about dual lands, such as Dragonskull summit.

Is it that they by default suppy 2 mana, one of each of their dual colours, and then you can tap them to create an extra mana of one of the types listed?

If so, is that mana created permanent, or just for that turn? If the latter, hoe does that work? The card is tapped to create the mana, but because it's tapped, the land can't be used for spells/creatures/etc. You've gained 1 mana but lost 2. I guess it could be handy to sacrifice 2 mana to gain 1 mana of a colour you don't have...

11. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

What he said.

On the subject of artifacts, Clerith. I have to ask, because it is a necessity for pure spell decks. Do you have/use the Mirari?

I've actually got one of those, plus a Mirari's Wake. The one Green/White Deck I have is pretty awesome, theoretically, but it just takes too long to get rolling against people that are using rapid production weenie decks. {These are far too popular, I feel. >_>}

If I understand what you're talking about... If you look carefully it says Red OR Black. Its your choice what you use it for, but you can only use one instant of the card in play for ONE mana. One Dragonskull = One Mana.I cant think of any off the top of my head, but there are lands that do what you're suggesting. They have the mana symbols paired together with no Or.

Edit: The dual mana lands I was talking about... Azorius Chancery is one of those. notice the difference between Dragonskull and this. It produces both.

12. Smore

Smore Third Year DLP Supporter

Me and a few of my irl mates got into MtG ~3-4 months ago now. We only really play casually but I might have a look at this OPT thing. I started collecting in Zendikar block, and am currently running a Blue/Green landfall deck, works quite well for me.

Edit: Taure: Dual lands mean that whenever you tap it, it can be either one or the other on that turn. Not both though.

13. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

For those looking for specific cards to order, there is this site that lets you order them individually. Range of prices and editions. Even to help search for a specific kind of card.

Link.

14. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Gotcha. I was thinking that the writing on the card was in addition to its normal purpose of a land, not instead of it.

15. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Too expensive to use, imo. Red/Blue wizard decks have easier time with the copy gimmick, and when I go pure burn, I like to use Pyromancer Ascension.

16. Tylendel

Tylendel Seventh Year

Started playing at the beginning of the summer. It's a great game.

I usually play at my store each Friday. I'm currently running a vampire and an ally deck.

I hate that card. Played against it in my last FNM, would have lost without Naturalize and All is dust...

17. Krogan

High Score:
    Oh no, I know man, I just meant by work with it that starter decks are extremely general, functional but if you want to get good results you need to narrow down its focus even in casual matches. Like I said though if you have any other questions on what could work don't hesitate to ask.

@Darje- Yeah that sounds about right on the money to me for artifact decks.

@Pers-.....jesus man is there anything you don't do?

@ Taure's second post- It works like any land card you have just two things that are different really, unlike other lands they come into play tapped and they can be used for either color mana but only one of whatever mana it is.

Mana in general though works by tapping when you have a land/mana generator card and it creates a mana for your use. When you tap a basic land you now have one mana of whatever color that land is to spend that turn. You can tap as many lands as needed to gain the desired amount of mana that you want to spend. Say you tap five basic lands, for that turn you now have 5 (X) color mana to spend on whatever you can play. At the start of the next turn all of your lands are untapped and your mana pool is back to zero until you tap more lands.

18. Skeletaure

High Score:
  19. Krogan

High Score:
    Ooo very nice, if I was any good with Black decks I'd love that. I've really been enjoying the new release's. The Eldrazi stuff is :awesome.

20. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I know I'm a dork and have been lurking for an awful long time (herro everyone!) but I'm pretty much addicted to magic. And while I love the idea of OPT where you can play with all the good cards without having to spend any money, I feel someone must speak up for the greatness that is MTGO (or Magic Online).

For those who don't know, MTGO is the official, authorized, run by wizards online version of the game where you get an account and play with your own collection of "digital cards". Yes, on the surface they cost the same as the actual paper cards. Booster packs cost the same, event tickets are a buck each and are the currency for online trading.

I play it quite a bit though, and really, I've been playing limited exclusively for about a year now. "Constructed" is where you assemble a deck from the cards in your collection. "Limited" is where everyone starts from scratch with unopened packs, generally broken down into sealed events or drafts. Sealeds are usually where everyone starts with 6 packs, then everyone opens their packs and builds the best deck they can from their own personal card pool. Drafts are typically 8 person and everyone brings three booster packs. You open a pack, pick one of those cards, and pass the remaining 14 to your left. Then pick one from the pack you just received, and pass the rest, and so on and so forth.

The beauty of the system is that you get to keep all the cards in your pool or that you draft. But there's also varying prize payouts too. And once you get pretty decent, its not hard for the entire system to sustain itself. By that I mean, you get your 2 event tickets and three packs, do a draft. Maybe snag a valuable rare or two, and win back several packs. Breaking even or coming out ahead is not that hard to do. I haven't had to spend any money on MTGO in months. Just sell a money card or two on the boards, get enough to do a few drafts or sealeds, and continue the cycle.

Okie, this is quickly turning into a tl;dr post but it sounds like some of you haven't discovered the joy of MTGO and especially of playing limited.

Anyone can download and install the massive MTGO client program (I think its like 1.5gb or something) and you can play as a Guest using the theme decks against other guests all for free. To sign up for an account, you must register with a credit card though and they charge you like ten bucks and give you a decent smattering of cards to get started for that ten bucks. Still... there's often a couple thousand or so people online and drafts firing every couple minutes. Great fun.

Here's the official free MTGO download site if you wanna try it: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Digital/MagicOnline.aspx

Hell, I'll even bribe you hoes and give the n00bs some free cards. Goodness knows I don't need 68 Journey to Nowheres or 78 Kindled Furies. (Just looked at my MTGO collection and I've got over 16000 commons.)

This may come as a shock too, but if anyone's on MTGO and looking for me, my MTGO username is.... nonjon.