1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Malazan Book of the fallen

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Andarist showed up when he was protecting some Andii from the Edur who wanted the throne of shadow. The book where the Trull repelled Icarium in the cave.

2. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Ah, ok. That's...either Reapers Gale or The Bonehunters, I think. I remember the event, but I don't remember Andarist. Oh well, I was planning a re-read anyway...

3. Brukel

Brukel Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Bonehunters or House of Chains leaning towards the later I think. He's the one in charge of Rake's kids in any case. Yeah pretty sure it's House of Chains.

4. BDiddy

BDiddy Second Year

It's House of Chains. The book ends with Trull telling the Imass the story that is Midnight Tides.

5. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Ok...definitely need a re-read. Although I think it's two seperate events; Andarist in House of Chains, but then Trull repelling Icarium in a later one. I think?

6. Brukel

Yeah House of Chains is Traveler doing his thing. Trull does his thing in Bonehunters with Apt the demon and the kids she/it picked up.

7. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Finished both of these now. Night of Knives was a little disappointing, and I can't quite put my finger on why. In part, I got the feeling that you really needed an in-depth knowledge of the Malazan series to follow it all; I vaguely remembered several of the characters, aside from the obvious. On the other hand, while a lot of stuff happened, most of it felt fairly inconsequential, even within the confines of the Shadow Moon thing.

Even Kellanved and Dancer's Ascension felt sort of tacked on.

The Bauchelain and Broach short stories were more entertaining; not essential by any stretch of the imagination, but who doesn't enjoy mad necromancers going around causing chaos?

8. Quick Ben

Guys I was thinking we should a start a re-read for the series.One book per month, then discuss about what we missed before, things that were foreshadowed, basically discuss.

Is that something that you guys would be upto?

9. Shinysavage

High Score:
    I can get behind that idea, yeah!

10. Quick Ben

Awesome, so this month we're doing Gardens of the moon and discussing it end month(plus we could posts some thoughts during the month too)

11. Brukel

Sounds good, was meaning to re read at some point. Be cool to do in any case.

12. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Lol, the sad thing is that I actually re-read GotM a few months or so ago, but I can't really remember it well enough for a proper discussion of it!

13. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Groundskeeper

Never finished Gotm even after trying a couple of times. Starting again along with this re-read (sort of, for me). Cheers.

14. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

I guess I can do this.

15. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Couple of things that have leapt out at me from re-reading GotM, which probably aren't terribly important and in the first instance may not even be correct:

Firstly, the magic seems a little different in GotM than I remember in the later books. There's incantations, and talk of cantrips and full on spells, whereas at least with the Warrens, from what I remember of later books it's more or less a basic 'unleashing'; no sort of official technique, more point and think about what you want to happen. Might be mis-remembering though, and of course there's various different magical systems in the series - the Holds, for example, and Bottle's spirit magic.

Secondly, when Tattersail is reading her Deck of Dragons, she sees something about a mason, which essentially says she's going to find herself under a stone-worker's eye/guidance/protection. Later in the book, it's mentioned that Whiskeyjack was a mason before he became a soldier, and given their involvment in the plot and subsequent reuniting in Memories of Ice, that would seem to be that.

However,
    her new form is taken in by Caladan Brood's forces. And in Forges of Darkness, we find out that he was an Azath stone-mason - although he's described in GotM as half-human.

16. BDiddy

BDiddy Second Year

GotM was written 10 years before the rest of the series. It seems to not mesh as well because a lot changed in the subsequent 10 years.

It is Whiskeyjack.

The Azathanai aren't mentioned until The Bonehunters (and that's in a poem to start a chapter), it's fairly clear they weren't on Erikson's plate until late in the series. As for descriptions of characters, Azathanai can appear how they want to appear. Draconus certainly isn't a Tiste Andii, but appears as one in Forge.

17. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Yeah, I know, just leapt out at me this time through the book, whereas I hadn't particularly remembered it first time through the series. Seems an odd thing to change, too, largely because of how little difference it makes.

Oh sure, it just seemed quite neat and worth pointing out. Fun to speculate whether it's a happy co-incidence that lends ambiguity to it, or whether Erikson remembered it/planned it in time for Forge of Darkness.

18. Brukel

I think it's mentioned that Whiskyjack was or hinted towards being the mason in House Death somewhere, something along the lines of Fiddler replacing him in the role post Memories. That might not be true, sure I saw it somewhere though.

I found it interesting that Raest could go as hard as he did, weakened without the finnest and Gothos considered him the least of his children. Makes you wonder if that's just compared to Iccy or there are/ were others around somewhere.