1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Manipulative Dumbledore

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hashasheen, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

there are a lot of Manipulative! Dumbledore fics around, with the authors trying to use canon to back them up, they point to the Dursleys and the little tests each year as proof. my question (that i wish to run by you guys) is if Dumbledore was so Manipulative, why didnt he raise Harry himself? the strongest Wizard in Britain, the Light WIzard of the Century. he could have raised harry to see him as a father figure, if not his closest companion. imagine a completly Dumbledore indoctirined harry. so tell me DLP members what is your opinion?

Regards :cool:
    Hashasheen

2. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

3. MofoNofo

MofoNofo Seventh Year

"what the fuck?"

Yeah, that sums it up well.

4. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    No, because everytime someone writes one it is formed around an Albus/Minerva pairing.

5. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Homosexuals aren't allowed to raise kids, duh.

But seriously: if Dumbledore adopted him, Harry would be like that rich kid who never sees their parents cos they work all the time. He'd have some sort of nanny anyways.

6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm picturing this, and what I'm coming up with is pretty close to canon. "Dumbledore's man, through and through".

You're assuming everyone here jumps on the manipulative Dumbledore bandwagon. They don't. He manipulated people certainly, but it's far more complicated than that, as I've said in other posts.

My opinion is that you need to locate your Shift key, pronto.

7. jts360

jts360 Second Year

Uh he sort of did, in that he ensured that Harry was raised how he wanted, even if it was at the Dursley's and the excuse of blood wards is very weak, which should no longer be valid after 4th year anyways.

Is cannon Harry not loyal to Dumbledore and did he not turn out as was expected?

Many fanfics that present the possibility of Harry breaking ties from Dumbledore, due to realizing or finding out about such manipulations. Basically presenting Dumbledore and Voldemort as two sides of the same coin, both opposite in appearance yet the same in nature. While the Dark forces are obvious and honest, the Light side are obscure and deceptive. Though it is usually Dark Lords and their followers initiate wars. Both can be good or evil, there are fics with Voldemort being good and Dumbledore being evil, both being evil and of course Dumbledore being good.

8. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

"No, because everytime someone writes one it is formed around an Albus/Minerva pairing." That's rather disgusting.

Thanks for everyone who posted, I can see it wasn't well recieved. My idea had come from the Darkfriends of Wot, and seeing the fanatical devotion given to the Great Lord of the Dark, I questioned a similiar version to Dumbledore by Harry. The man is respected and admired, but Imperial Cult to God Emperor devotion was the sort of thing I was hoping to try here.

Harry is Dumbledore's man through and through, but when he's gone through all that shit, there has to be some doubts forming.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  9. Maximus Higgins

Maximus Higgins Squib

He had doubts alright. He wondered all the time in DH, why Dumbledore never told him more. He wondered about Dumbledore's past, too, and why he did the things he did in his youth. Evidently he came to the conclusion he was not getting manipulated by him.

10. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't think this is true. I think Harry knew he was manipulated, he just came to the conclusion that the manipulations really were for his own good, and without them he would have died and Voldemort would have won. Which was true.

11. FollowTheReaper

FollowTheReaper Professor

Meh, I have yet to see a good "Dumbledore fosters Harry" fic. If you have the skillz, go write it.
    @Taure: Couldn't agree more.