1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mario, Metroid, or Zelda?

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by LINKed up, Feb 2, 2006.

?

Mario, Metroid, or Zelda?

1. Zelda

98.9%
  2. Metroid

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Mario

1.1%
  1. LINKed up

LINKed up Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A certain place in a certain area of space-time, a
    Hmmm... I could have sworn that the DS was beating it...

Oh wait, thats just in the US. I was talking worldwide. From the same source, I got this.

2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Link, Nintendo has a fucking monopoly in the portable gaming industry. It has been the only device that people bought for portable gaming for the past 15 years. Other companies have tried...and failed. Like the N-Gage, and whatever that Sega thing was called. None of them could ever beat the popularity of the Gameboy. Sony comes and and produces the PSP (the first portable console they've made), which sells better than the DS in the US, and isn't quite equal, but close to, the number sold across the world. And the fact is, Sony makes 51% of its income from the gaming industry, while Nintendo makes 100% of their income from it. They don't spend all their resources on gaming, but Nintendo does...and they are still starting to lose their monopoly in gaming. Nintendo hasn't grown with the times, it can't expect to survive much longer. Unless the Revolution is a big success, they will be gone.

3. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Seriously, you can only churn out so many Mario and Zelda rehashes before people just stop buying.

4. LINKed up

Well, I don't really like the way that Mario has been going, with the spin-offs and stuff. At least they are getting back on track with that. With Zelda, the story is different everytime, mostly. I can't say completely because the main thing is usually the same, as its usually Ganon thats screwing with the world.

Sree, question for you, have you seen the screenshots for Red Steel? If you haven't, send a PM my way and I'll get them to you. And I know about the monopoly, but I disagree with your statement about the income. Nintendo made Pokemon, which now has many seasons of an Anime and a whole lot of trading cards out there, not to mention all of the action figures based on some Nintendo games. Also, according to wikipedia, they are the majority owner of the Seattle Mariners. The source for that is here.

5. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

According...to wikipedia...

Against popular opinion, wiki is not a site to get reliable information from. Any person can just go in and chage what they want in the article.

I got my information about the income from Forbes. I think that's just a tad bit more reliable than wiki.

6. LINKed up

source

7. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

:rrou:

Linky.

It does not say that Nintendo bought the team. It says that a group headed by the President bought it. It's not the same thing. Are you seriously trying to contest Forbes?

8. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Personally, I believe the GameCube was a flop. That doesn't mean that Nintendo is going down however, just shifting their direction.

I was also talking about the PS3 and 360 when I was talking about computers. For about 800 dollars (Games, Accessories, Etc), it outstrips even some gaming computers.

If Nintendo brings out a system that costs sub400 with games, I will buy it. Many people will buy it just because it is cheaper than the other two.

And since its targeted towards a different audience (non-hardcore gamers), it should be a bigger success than the GameCube, and will comfortably sit at third place console.

Mind you, that's not a bad thing, as while Sony and MS are losing money on each console sold, Nintendo is still keeping a nice small little profit.

And that's all a company should care about it.

9. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

Out of the three I'd chose...none. There should really be an option for none.

I believe they're making up for the profits with the games.

I think nintendo need to think of a new change in direction and come up with a new phenomenom if it's to survive. Even the most diehard nintendo fan will get bored of Mario 200456 or Pokemon Reddish Orange. They definitely need to focus on the handheld market, there's no contending with the Playstations or XBoxes anymore.

10. ixazncha0six

ixazncha0six Raptured to Hell

Yeah I agree it seems like videogames in general are running out of ideas. I mean alot of games out are usually sequels or part of a series. I mean if EA releases a new Nba Live I can bet that they will make much a lot of profit even if the game does not have any improvement. I like those games that are sequels or part of a series but developers definitley need new ideas.

11. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

They are making back, but not even close to all of it. I'm not sure about 360 statistics, but Microsoft NEVER made ANY money on the original XBox. Sony had a much varied library, and lots of titles, but even then, they only made up for console sales after a few years.

Nintendo is not selling at a loss, AND is making money on games.

And they have a new direction - targeting casual gamers. There has never been a console available that would appeal to Parents and Children alike. Whether the revolution will or not is still undecided, but at least they're trying.

12. LINKed up

Well, Sree, would you really expect more from a 15 year old? And still, though, what about the royalties from the Pokemon TCG that they used to get when it was owned by Wizards of the Coast and the profits that they get from them now that they make them by themselves?

Esper: I agree with your statements. With the Revolution, Nintendo has said many times that it is aiming towards the casual video gamers and the other people that don't even play video games. That is the reason why the new controller looks like a TV remote, because it is so familiar to people, and the control scheme that they use is as about as intuitive as it gets.

MS: You have noticed that Nintendo does have other game series besides the three mentioned/talked about in this thread, right? They are also making new series for their new consoles. And they have a new direction, to appeal to the majority of people out there, the non-gamers. And the Revolution is a phenomenon, at least it is in my opinion.

Edit: And about the money thing, I don't know if anyone has noticed this, but Nintendo has never changed the price of the consoles for launch. From the NES to the Gamecube, its always been $199 at lauch, and they are thinking of going lower this time around.

13. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a291/droop4/Sigs/ultimatefanboy1.gif
    Something I thought you'd like Link.

Revolution's got one of their strongest selling points of being able to download/play old Nintendo console (NES/SNES/N64 etc) games on it.. however, any idiot with internet access can do this now. I stand by my claim of the company goes to hell in a handbasket, and with PSP out it's stranglehold on portable gaming is very loose atm.

14. LINKed up

Well, that banner is almost correct, because I don't own a DS, but I will on Monday. I really wish that things were delivered on Saturdays...