1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel Cinematic Universe General Thread

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Andrela, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

It's not nearly as bad as the trailer for Amazing Spider-Man 2, which we thought was going to be a part of a trend of revealing everything in the trailer. Suicide Squad, by contrast, had a good trailer with the movie itself ending up as a let-down. That said, I don't really agonize over trailers or even see them terribly often. I couldn't tell you for the life of me what Infinity War's trailer was like.

The film itself will invariably be compared to Wonder Woman, so it's really going to have to do well.

2. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

But you probably heard a quote from it, which isn't in the film, more than a few times: "Fun isn't something one considers when balancing the universe. But this... does put a smile on my face."

Captain Marvel trailer got its memes too, but they're all about heroes punching old people which probably isn't what Marvel prefers people to focus on.

3. Silirt

Yeah, I wouldn't have put that quote into the film.

It seems shock imagery isn't paying off like they thought.

4. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The actress looks dull and miserable, and people getting excited just because there's a Blockbusters in it is really pathetic.

5. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

At the moment I'm treating this like the first iffy trailer of Logan. Trailers do not make the movie. Given that, I've always wondered why they went with Captain Marvel. Making her the "strongest being in the MCU". Sorry, but no. Comic canon has loads of characters that can hand her her ass on a platter.

They have hyped her far too much for far too long. If this movie is anything less than the best MCU movie then it'll be a disappointment. And I can't see how they can do that with a second-tier character.

That doens't mean I won't be seeing it. Far from it.

6. point09micron

point09micron Groundskeeper

You didn't think the first Logan trailer was amazing?

Also, "strongest being in the MCU" lol. Didn't she spend a large part of the 80s and 90s in a coma after an encounter with Rogue before she joined the X-Men?

7. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think it's pretty obvious that they're going to drastically simplify Danvers' backstory, because it is convoluted as fuck and requires the x-men to have a significant presence, and x-men isn't MCU.

I suspect she'll simply start out as or somehow transform into the modern imagining of Binary over the course of the film (i.e. her power level is dependent on how much energy she siphons from singularities, and there is not technically a limit to it).

Short of perhaps cosmic entities, odin and the other skyfathers, and maybe Infinity-stoned Thanos, I'd say yes, she easily has the potential to be the strongest being in the current MCU.

8. MrBucket

MrBucket Fifth Year

She's been confirmed to be the strongest hero since 2016.

9. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, the MCU in general likes to trim out the stupid and weird parts of character history, and Carol Danvers has a lot of both. Also why we're unlikely to have it be a plot point that she gets kidnapped and raped by a guy from another dimension so she can give birth to him on earth, and then her trans-dimensional rape-baby rapidly ages to adulthood and hooks up with her.

10. point09micron

point09micron Groundskeeper

Not so much up on my Danvers history, but I feel like you just described a HarryxDraco fic.

11. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    You're surprised? Writing a comic book is basically the same as writing fanfiction, except when you write a comic book you're supplied with a character rulebook, an official team of editors and lorekeepers, and the brand's stamp of approval.

So in terms of writing quality, instead of following the golden rule of fanfiction, a la 99% shit 1% substance, it's more like 90% shit 10% substance.

12. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I have no problem with her being the strongest hero so long as she's interesting. When Thor was massively powered up in Thor Ragnarok, he lost his father, an eye, and a home in exchange. He earned his power. Hopefully the same is true for "Captain Marvel".

However, I do have a problem with her strength manifesting as awful looking energy beams shooting from her hands.

I also have a problem with her fourth wall breaking, meta-referential name, but there's no helping that.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  13. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I feel like it'll seem unearned no matter what. They've been building up to this for years and she comes out of nowhere to save the day?

I dunno anything about her so I'll reserve judgement, but they're pushing shit up hill as is.

14. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, this is what bothers me. Even with Scarlet Witch and Strange (apparently reality-breakingly powerful in the comics) they didn't just come in wrecking shit and making everyone else obsolete.

When Thor did that in IW, he's been around since the beginning of the MCU, he has sucked, he has been okay, and now he was getting his moment and living up to his name. He earned his place as the strongest Avenger Point Break.

Marvel? I don't kmow who she is, she doesn't seem interesting from the first impression and she's been a nobody. If she's been off doing her own thing like GOTG then fine, but if Fury has her available just an emergency signal away, then where has the strongest hero been when Loki rolled in? Ultron?

I'm very skeptical.

15. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    There's actually a ton of really weird legal history about why Marvel has to have a character called Captain Marvel in regular publication, or else they'd lose the name to DC. Or at least, that was the case up until DC decided to rename their Captain Marvel to Shazam for stupid reasons. Now I'm not actually sure where things stand on that name.

16. Silirt

I would assume she's been off on her own conflicts, or at least that's how they're going to explain it. Superhero universes always have conflicts and heroic figures that don't have matching schedules. They wouldn't be able to have a universe and solo movies unless we had that assumption; it would just be a massive cluster going around fighting bad guys.

I really hope they don't just freeze her and unfreeze her.

17. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    "Danvers possesses superhuman strength and durability, can fly at roughly six times the speed of sound, retains her sixth sense, and can discharge explosive blasts of radiant energy, which she fires from her fingertips."

That's kind of like saying you dislike the idea of Thor wielding a big ass hammer. RIP Mjolnir.

18. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    I'm assuming that what we saw there in the trailer was only part of the Binary effect. Her skin was starting to radiate with an orangey light, the cosmic energy was flaring up around her, and her eyes were glowing, but that's like her mid-level power form.

Normal Danvers:

[​IMG]

Sort-of Binary Danvers:

[​IMG]

Binary Danvers:

[​IMG]

19. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Danvers with Binary is a planet buster but I'm curious to see how the MCU portrays this. Hulk is a planet buster and doesn't get the treatment in the movies. Thor is a star buster and his biggest moment was giving Thanos a zipper.

If they over hype Captain Marvel for sjw reasons it'll suck hard.

20. Silirt

Thor and Hulk are toned down in the movies, but their depiction is probably based on the comics being read by the writers.

They need something to rival Wonder Woman, so we can expect her to be a female lead first, and everything else second.