1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel Cinematic Universe General Thread

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Andrela, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    And you think people are flying the drones that drop those missiles?

I won't be seeing the movie, but the promo material i saw was her getting in a fighter jet. Maybe there's another scene with her sitting in an office in Virginia (or wherever, I dunno) with a joystick and satellite/ drone imagery decades too early?

I mean, it's possible?

2. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

To be fair, it is legally required that a drone kill mission be manned, with a pilot in control who makes the conscious decision to pull the trigger.

Whether or not that's the case in truth is much harder to say, though it's fairly likely.

3. Conquistador

Conquistador High Inquisitor

High Score:
    @BitMyFinger You can call out politicians all you want but don't call out the military. The common soldier (or in this case airman) doesn't decide where to bomb. They do what they are told because that's their job.

Drone operators deal with a lot of PTSD for their actions. The vast majority are good people. Yes, people do need to be recruited. But can you honestly fault the armed forces for recruiting people?

4. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Banned

Fuck off, this is propaganda. This is young girls' consent to a world spanning death machine being manufactured. I haven't said anything about the individuals within this machine. I recognize that they're usually economically forced into by a need for college money or healthcare. I recognize that they need a lot of support after they're done. Of course, I also recognize that they're not dying/fighting for any cause or nation other than the resources under the brown people they kill and wealthy Americans' own power.

Edit: I'd follow Hugh Thompson Jr. in to hell, but that doesnt change the fact that 1 in 4 military members know a Neo Nazi in their ranks.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  5. point09micron

point09micron Groundskeeper

Is there a Dark Lord Pottery Award for most stupid statement ever posted on the forum? Because I'd like to nominate this one.

6. Conquistador

High Score:
    @BitMyFinger "A world spanning death machine being manufactured"???

It's a little too late to get recruited by the anti-American terrorists buddy. Why? Because the air force bombed them of course.

By the way, just wondering, are you American?

7. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Do we need to turn every discussion thread that we can conceivably connect to politics into the most hyperbolic caricature of a interesting conversation we can think of?

Does Hollywood take money from the US Army? Yes, but they've been doing that for decades, and the US military's mission is slightly more complex than 'killing brown people to support oligarchs insatiable thirst for oil'. You can disagree with that, but whatever. Is this a discussion that we really need to have in a thread about Marvel? Is there anything new to what is happening in this film that warrants it?

It's bad enough we need to suffer through the endlessly circular opining on the stars of Black Panther and Captain Marvel and their identity, but at least that's relevant and inevitable to the subject of this thread. Can we take these tertiary connections to our personal pet peeves elsewhere?

8. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    If I could thumb that post more than once, Quiddity, I would.

Anyway, Captain Marvel. I enjoyed it a lot, but I don't think it's top tier Marvel. I'll have to think about a precise ranking, but it's certainly well worth a watch. There's a couple of heavy handed moments, a few clunky lines, but on the whole good solid fun. Goose is the MVP.

9. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Banned

Sorry y'all, my bad. Forget I said anything. Guess we'll just have to hope and pray our nieces and daughters don't die pointlessly like our fathers, brothers, uncles, and nephews. God forbid Americans take any action against it happening, or even talk about it at all.

10. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    [​IMG]

11. Longsword

Longsword Banned

Drones.

12. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    We do talk about it. We have multiple threads that talk about it.

In the politics section, not the fucking comic book movie section.

But even if we didn't that would be okay because this is first and foremost a forum for Harry Potter fanfiction not the military-industrial complex, and represents <0.000000000001% of available forums.

Come the revolution, we hang all the lawyers centrists yankees autistic monotopic bores.

13. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Also, and I realise I'm being a little hypocritical in engaging in this argument, but in the film itself...

Carol's time in the air force is covered in a flashback montage and a few lines of dialogue, and mostly amounts to male pilots being assholes, and her and Maria Rambeau not being allowed to fly proper missions because they're female, so the only flights they can get are test flights for a project that is specifically designed to stop war, so it's hardly a glowing recommendation for signing up.
    Carol is a member of an elite fighting squad...and they turn out to be the real bad guys, albeit potentially with some room for debate about whether they're capital E Evil or just on the wrong side, with a couple of exceptions, while the terrorist army presented as the bad guys are in reality just refugees who are explicitly being targeted for extermination - again, with some of them being more morally ambiguous, admitting to having done terrible things in the name of survival, but we don't know who struck first, and the kree definitely come off as being worse by the end of the film.

Of course, maybe I've just bought into the propaganda.

14. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've been in the USAF for over 5 years now, and I've been on bases on all four corners of the CONUS and overseas. I have been under AFSOC, AMC, AETC and PACAF.

I have heard of white supremacy in the ranks exactly twice. The first time, it was a guy who decided to call a black supervisor a coon. As soon as it got around, he got reported to EOC and got investigated, and was shortly removed from the Air Force. The second was more recently - a first sergeant performed a no-notice inspection of the member's quarters and found neo-nazi propaganda posted on the walls. Gone from the Air Force.

The rest is equally fucking laughable. What corner of Tumblr did you crawl out of? Please go and stay go.

15. Conquistador

High Score:
    Thank you for your service.

16. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hey guys, can we talk about Captain Marvel being underwhelming but decent again?

17. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Captain Marvel's TITTIES are underwhelming but decent.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh

18. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Well presales beat out Wonder Woman, and opening day sales are trending to 130-150 million for the weekend.
    That makes it # 2 only to Black Panther at 201 million, which in turn is projected to be #7 in MCU for ticket sales overall.

I don't know how accurate they can be for final numbers. A lot of that money will have to be people going back for another viewing. With the middling reviews I seen and heard (word of mouth) I don't know if that'll happen.

19. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Brie Larsen is attractive and can act...but it doesn't seem like they let her do that in this movie. She was given a stalely written character (despite Carol in the comics being very dynamic) and did the best she could with it. That's my general impression.

Her decision to make political statements also made it difficult to enjoy the movie as it is because it was there in the back of my mind. I couldn't just enjoy the movie because her statements made my brain overanalyze every scene. Which sucked.

20. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Saw it today. I was entertained. I enjoyed the 90s setting. I thought Brie Larson did a good job portraying someone with understated strength and dry humour (the one odd moment being her mimicking the scream near the start). Ben Mendelsohn was also great. The twist was good and the ending was satisfying. I enjoyed the parts in space and the parts on Earth.

Comparing Captain Marvel to the other origin story movies, I'd put it in joint second place, below Iron Man and sharing its position with Black Panther.

Carol comes out certainly overpowered compared to the other Avengers as they were in their respective origin stories, but I think she fits in comfortably enough with Ragnarok!Thor and Nanotech!IronMan.

Honestly I don't understand the supposed fuss over how "feminist" this movie is. Beyond the fact that the main character is a woman, there's nothing particularly feminist about the film. Certainly it doesn't feel like it's pushing any agenda.